Scouting SDSU on Friday, Marriott

SDSU is elite on defense. Better then Clev. St. but SDSU has two weaknesses…They are poor outside shooters (6-22) and not great rebounders. SDSU spent all of last year ranked only to fall off a little toward the end and they return 7 Sr’s and so, like Clev… BYU will face a very experienced SDSU team. This is one I had as a possible loss.

For a BYU win:
BYU has got to set high pics to get NBA type mismatches, then Lohner and George have got to go to work down low on a smaller guy.
Our deadeyes of Knell, Barcello and Johnson have got to hit 3s!, I would like to see 10 or more.
Lucas has to have a great game assist wise.
need one more guy to step up. Has to be Lohner or George.

For a SDSU win:
Pressure BYU’s big men into TOs and score off our miscues.
Keep the ball out of Barcello’s hands

The Clev game could not have been better timing, They are a NCAA team that really exposed BYU’s weaknesses and will prepare BYU for an even tougher SDSU and Oregon games.
Low scoring affair, like last game. Home Court advantage is usually 5 points, In this case, it is more like 10 points. First team to hit 70 wins.

From the SD Tribune
Breakdown of San Diego State’s basketball roster and key games - The San Diego Union-Tribune (sandiegouniontribune.com)

SDSU lost 3 of their top scorers to graduation
Bradley 6-3 gd
Pullman 6-3 gd
Menseh 6-10 F/C are the 3 best playes or SDSU. All Sr’s.

Sometimes, it seems like it’s someone off the bench that hurts us. Our bench has to be ready as well. We are still pretty deep but a lot of inexperience at this level. I hope Atiki gets in. His length can offset any size challenges as well. Even if it’s for defense only.