Scouting SDSU vs. BYU

You should watch the entire game. Johnson had 7 in the first half plus locked down those he was assigned. BA had his usual up and down game. 4 turnovers and fouls. He does good things then real JV things. I hope he improves before league starts.

Tark got in trouble before he left UNLV. There were others. Are you forgetting that? There were others he got from SC. I remember the Rolex watch he showed off that he got from Tark.

Popes youngest daughter has three years to graduate from high school. I suspect that BYU has three years.

2 Likes

If the last minute hadn’t turned things around the 2 for 9 shooting in the second half instead of the 5 for 14 of the first half shooting threes would certainly be one of the reasons listed for the loss.
The Cougs made fewer attempts and worse shots…if they had only managed to do as poorly as they did in the first half the game wouldn’t have been remotely close.

Averette has had one very good 1/2 of a game…that’s it but what a half. He scores two big 3s and blocks, yes, blocks a shot and we win going away. Averette was very Averette in the first half with 3 turnovers and still turns the ball over 32% of the time and that is NO BUENO when you are the P Guard of your team. Johnson comes in and is very calm. He can drive but what really opened my eyes was when he missed everything, complete airball and seconds later drills a 3, zero hesitation. Johnson is the reason whey BYU went from struggling to pulling off these last two wins.

To your point a few weeks ago about BYU, are they a good team or not. Pope has figured some things out and thankfully he has seen fit to 1-Limit Lohner’s shots and have him buy into being a defender and board eating machine and 2- Given Johnson the green light over a chaotic Averette. BYU was trending somewhere around #60 before the Utah and SDSU wins, now, they have jumped into the 40ish area and a bubble team. I see them continue to improve and get to a #30 and a solid dance team. (well, that is what I hope they do)

I think Pope has done a great job with this team. How many of these guys have played together before. Barcello has only been at BYU a little over a year. Lee and Harding Two years. The rest not even 10 games. BYU will keep getting better, but a fringe team, maybe

He’s changed the offense. We aren’t doing that weave. Hate that weave.

Name one of them besides Stacy C. , his son.

I knew this was the case but I thought it was funny that I watch my one and only half of a BYU basketball game this season and Averette was a star. Obviously I need to watch more games in order to make rational comments. However, I could always go the grasshopper route and say things like “if we had outscored the other team we would have won” or “the reason we lost is because we missed 13 layups”. I love those insightful, analytical hopper posts. :crazy_face:

1 Like

We aren’t missing layups nor free throws. And we outscored SDSU. Now you are getting it. By the way, others were DC, BW, RS, MK, BR, PM, KB, DA, FR, ST, WC, LA…

haha, nice fake initials. None of those are players from santa clara that played at UNLV. Like I said, there were none. You are just jealous that santa paula never won any basketball games…

Santa Paula? I coached at St. Bonaventure.

That is where you coached, not where you lived. St. Bonny… we used to beat them when I was at little Villanova. They never had any players go anywhere. Did you every play Santa Clara? They were out of your league honestly, literally and figuratively.

I coached our frosh-soph team against Santa Clara one year. They beat us. They had some really good recruits. One from Georgia. He should have been playing varsity but they had Shawn Tarver.

Out varsity played SC in the CIF 2nd round that same year. They had the 7’0” that went to Indiana. Tarver went to UCLA. We only lost by 18.

Yeah… but how many went to UNLV? That was the question. My brother’s Nordhoff team beat Santa Clara twice in 84 and won the frontier league. That was a big deal back then. That was about the time that Lou’s youngest kid played and he went to UNLV. He was the only one I know of.

You missed it: DC, BW, RS, MK, BR, PM, KB, DA, FR, ST, WC, LA…