Scouting SMC. the thorn

A key point here: the Landale conundrum really has no answer. double him and he can kick to a deadly shooter and we all saw how efficient he was. The key is never giving them something consistent they can feel out and predict. Sometimes you send the double form the backside along the baseline, sometimes from the corner. And be unpredictable with the timing. He’s not a great athlete, but he’s smart.

Great teams play defense like they are proposing a problem to the other team and the most difficult problems to solve are fluid ones.

I really like a lot of what you’re saying. I just can’t help but be positive because we played pretty poorly in spots and we still took them to OT. Never mind the refs, if a few key guys play normally, we win by 10.

I can cheer for that for this growing team.

the WCC is part of a consortium of referees. The Pac12, the MWC, the WCC, the MWC, and I think the Big West and even Big Sky conferences all use the same pool.

The three who reffed the BYU SMC game included:
Randy McCall–he has reffed MWC, PAC12 and WCC games already this conference season. Last year he reffed the Pac12 tournament, the WCC tournament and the NCAA tournament…
Kipp Kissinger–he has also reffed the MWC, WCC and Pac12 conference games this season. last year he reffed the NCAA tournament, the B12 tournament, the MVC tournament, and a game in the Conference USA tournament. during the season he reffed B12, SEC, MVC, Amer, and C-USA as well as the MWC, P12, and WCC.
Mike Reed–he has reffed an MWC, BigSky, and WCC games this week. Last year he reffed the NCAA tournament, the WCC tournament, the p12 tournament, and a WAC tournament game. regular season he reffed P12, MWC, BW, WCC. and Big Sky…

That’s interesting information I didn’t have.

Let me restate, there are certain referees that I recognize on sight that make me sick.

I appreciate the difficulty of their job, but College refs are one of the main reasons I like the NBA game over college.

Mike Reed I believe is one of those for Coach Rose…

I watched the first half and the first part of the second half. I thought BYU looked good at times and then looked like the typical BYU at other times. I ask this question every season so it is probably time to do it again…

Does the team have a psychologist on staff or as part of the athletic program that can do some mind counseling or help the players with their heads? I swear BYU teams have the hardest time with the mental aspect of the game.

I saw St. Mary’s stink it up regularly during the parts of the game I was watching. Landale was the only player on their team that did anything for long stretches of the game. I still don’t know why the defense left Worthington and Dastrup to defend him one on one. Landale had it too easy. Put a scrub in there and double down on him and hack the crap out of him a couple times… I just didn’t get the strategy, it was totally ineffective.
I told everyone that not giving Dastrup more time earlier in the season would cost the team during league and this game was the perfect example of it. Dastrup can score and he can pass, but the level of experience and chemistry he needs with the regulars is not there yet and it showed. He made a few bad passes, was reluctant to shoot at times and played tentative. That wouldn’t have been the case if Rose had gone with him more often this season. He would be more comfortable and might have made a difference in this game.

But Rose chose to stick with Seljaas (is he related to a large donor/booster?) and sorry, but the kid looks lost out there most of the time. Also too much reliance on Childs and Bryant played into the result. Haws was a lost cause and the refs are making him pay the price for being a whiner. He got knocked around a lot out there and should have gotten calls but didn’t. Yoeli is complaining too much as well and that won’t go well for him either.

Lastly, and I repeat, Rose paid the price for not giving Dastrup more minutes prior to this game… big mistake and costly in this game. Worthington was abused by Landale and Dastrup wasn’t much better for different reasons. I told you, I told you, I told you… also that BYU would finish 3rd again in this league. We start the league with Portland and St. Mary’s while Gonzaga starts with Pacific and Santa Clara… just so predictable and expected. The golden goose lives on, and the league finishes the same way it has for the last 5 or so years.

Boring and predictable…

Ah well we are just getting started-plenty of time for me to blow it😉. It was a good game and BYU had opportunity to win. I don’t agree with Seljaas being on the floor and taking that shot. He has missed that shot 10 out of the last 16 times. I agree with Dastrup getting more time than Seljaas-not because he played that well against SMC, but he has more upside and needs the experience to mesh better, but it’s over now so moving on. BYU over Gonzaga in Provo. No Landale for Gonzaga but more athletic than SMC. They will probably shoot poorly in Provo. I agree with the SMC coaches assessment about BYU over last year-better team with less talent

And you nailed the single most frustrating thing about losing that game for BYU. SMC is not a better team and they have less talent than last year.

So how is it that BYU continues to get owned by the likes of St. Mary’s? Honestly, it has gotten to the point of being sickening. I, for one, am tired of it.

Last year SMC did own BYU, the only time in Rose’s era he lost to a team thrice in the same season. By an average of 19 points at that. Truly SMC did own them last yaer.

This year…one loss in overtime says things have changed…

I agree with you [quote=“JCoug, post:25, topic:7792”]
Rose paid the price for not giving Dastrup more minutes prior to this game.
[/quote]

Rose loving to give minutes to guys when the decision has already been made when other players need game time development has been bugging me since Rose’s first year.

SMC is likely to lose more games this year than BYU and the Zags…so I still think the race is on this year. However, BYU has got to win at SMC…pretty tall order.

I fully beleive Byu has better players. Check out our turnovers. We lost the game right there

The real problem is that while we will continue to get better, that game on Sat was our chance at SMC, they are impossible at home. Shots fall for them.

I really think the key to Landale is lean on him and wear him down with Worthington and Dastrup in the 1st, then defend him in the last 10 minutes with Childs if he has a low foul count to end the game.

The real key is to let Naar score rather than over play him and leave his teammates wide open for 3s…that is their formula and you have to take away what they want to do…Naar is not that good of a scorer but a master at finding the open guy.

1 Like

I know that one ref made all the calls all night against BYU. The others let them play. He would call us on defense and we would not get calls on Bry going to the hoop…frustrating.

I normally do not comment on reffing because I think refs try to call even games but that dude and the “nose” when they show up, I just know we are going to get screwed

100% agree. Dastrup is a far better choice and should have played meaningful minutes early on in the season. Rose has done this for years…Its like he lives in the now and forgets the future.

Afraid of getting fired if he lost games experimenting. But I’m with you.

I’m curious if you think Rose likes to go to small lineups because that’s what he’s done heavily and he’s defaulting when the going gets tough? This may be recency bias on my part.

I can’t tell about some ref making biased behavior on BYU every year. If it is true, then why not Dave Rose and Tom Holmoe review those games on those refs and forward it to NCAA for complaints. I have seen “Ticky Tacky” calls against us and not other team and that make me feel like not wanting to watch anymore sports “including football”. Last 4 years I saw GU Przemek Karnowski getting away with all those shoving opposing players in the paint for easy shots which was very frustrating.

I’m sure they do on occasion. My problem with the game was Eli would drive, get hacked and no call. I think that is why Rose called for a kick out to Seljaas at the end of the game when Eli could of and should have just gone for the bucket to end the game.

1 Like

Rose does that because he can’t recruit good big man talent to play (childs being a exception) and now that he has Dastrup, he should have used him last year and this pre season all he could to prepare for all the games outside of the smallish WCC.

Maybe Dastrup should try out for Cosmo. No, not really. Man, no excuse about last year when he should of played same amount of time like he is doing this year and work his way getting in shape and playing skills.

he was so fat and out of shape…looked like a walrus out there last year.