Scouting USU , part ll

Watched the Air Force/USU game. Air Force murdered USU from start to finish.Eight Air Force rushers combined for 448 yards to dominate possession time (45:43 to 14:17)
Commentators used the words, “Love does not have the same supporting cast this season”. 5 NFL scouts were at the game and I have no idea how they could evaluate that train wreak. Air Force dropped 8 most of the night with some great blitzes mixed in. I think USU had 7 total yards at the end of the 1st.
The Win/Loss line at ESPN went from USU 64% win over BYU to 50/50 overnight. Massey from 80% USU win to home field advantage plus 2%. Never seen a swing that big from just one game.

I would think BYU is favored now. BYU needs to learn from what Air Force exposed…USU could not stop their run.
Keys to a win:
1 Katoa and Finau need a big day with BYU’s big Oline.
2 Dog Love’s favorite receivers as Air Force did (Mariner)
3 Creative blitz packages to keep Love under pressure and by no means let him get 1st downs with his legs.

if BYU holds USU under 28 points, they win.

I think you missed what worked. The option run was huge! That’s what kept USU off their defense. Hall would have to start and be prepared to run and take hits. Although, a really good passer could shred their secondary.
The key will be whether BYU can swarm and tackle for 4 quarters. If we can then we could also win big.

Well defense has been the Achilles Heel all along. Air Force is a good team which like all service teams are usually well-disciplined. This is an intra-state rivalry so throw everything out of the books. I expect Utah State to win, but if BYU can get 4 quarters of sound defense and the OL can keep whichever QB from getting pummeled, then BYU has a shot to win this game and should that happen-they could run the rest of the table

After watching USU yesterday, I expect BYU to win. Especially if Hall starts and we run options. USU didn’t look fast out wide.

couple more things to add. I think Troy Warner will be back to play in the USU game. Ah You and Warner in the same game, can’t wait

I took a moment to look at how transferring has worked for Burt, our running back that had one special game as a coug-against Western Michigan. He has 17 attemps and averages 2.1 yards/carry. Dead last for USU running backs, not throwing water on him, just wondering why he felt he needed to transfer.

Will the kid (RB) from Rice be able to play?

Yes, Esukpa will be playing on Sat.

That will help Saturday, AF ran all over USU last Saturday, and if we have three healthy RB’s, it should make whoever the QB is job a lot easier.

Don’t forget the most important part of the game “SCRUM.” :slightly_smiling_face:

still lean at Oline
and no QB designated until game time.