Scouting Valpo. A must win game

When you aren’t playing much in the game it is tough to come in and play like you have been in the game the whole time. There is a rhythm and flow to basketball with momentum swings and having a feel for things makes a huge difference. If he had been allowed to play more minutes by the officials it might have been different.

You have to recognize that aspect of the game.

Emery drives me crazy with his “I am Jimmer” attitude and I’m not sure why Aytes didn’t play in the second half. I’m not sure Coach Rose knows exactly what to do in critical situations. The way the game was managed the last minute was terrible. Davis’ foul with 5 seconds left on the shot clock was weak and then inbounding the ball after Peters made layup and losing 6 or 7 seconds before Emery shoots a prayer was even weaker. We had timeouts… why not use them? Even when the Valpo player choked his free throws and gave BYU one last chance, they still had a terrible plan with two timeouts and a prayer by Mika at the end.

Lots of lessons to learn. Haws has to keep his cool. Nick has officially changed his legal name to Nick Carlino. Nick cannot be allowed to run the point with less than 5 min left in the game, ever! Rose has to learn that it is unacceptable to not have 5 guys on the floor who can all shoot 3’s when behind with 2.1 seconds remaining in the game or before half and it is BYU ball out of bounds. It simply doesn’t matter if all five are guards. Mika had to learn what a foul is. Davis can’t be allowed to guard a player on a pick and roll who is a guard. Guinn needs to play more of only for defective reasons. Emery/Carlino needs to sit more everytime he is supposed to help on defense and doesn’t, which is 9 out of 10 times, and everytime he forces up terrible shots. BYU can play man defense if Guinn and Bryant are on the floor and Childs replaces Davis. Getting late must stop here.

1 Like

Missing layups whether you have been sitting or not never should happen. No excuse for that.
I have no problem with what Rose did with 2.2 seconds left. That was excellent. What wasn’t excellent was why was Rose taking the ball out setting up Mika for a 3? Had that of been Rose and Mika passing it to him the shot may have gone in. In reality, if Rose is taking the ball out of bounds, Mika should have been on the bench and Guinn in the game.
I agree about Aytes. Where was he? Childs had a lousy game.

You realize you are contradicting yourself, right?

How can you say it was excellent? What do you have to say about the fact that BYU got down 3 with 10 seconds left when Peters made the layup and they simply inbounded the ball and ran the clock down to 4 seconds before Emery took a terrible shot? And then they used all of their timeouts when it was really too late to do anything about it?

What is excellent about that?

Man… your mind isn’t thinking straight this late at night.

I was specifics about the last 2.2 seconds. That was excellent. Brilliant. Only 1 second went off the clock with the two time out plays. Gave us 1.2 seconds to get a shot off. From that point, coach had a brain freeze on who should have been in the game and taking the ball out.
As far as the other time period of 10 seconds, Emery could have moved in and taken a shorter 3 point shot. With that said, why a 30 foot bank shot???

Thanks for giving a detailed description of how poorly mismanaged the last part of the game turned out. There was no “brilliance” and there was no “excellence”. It was exactly as you described it.

Your statement is puzzling. I’m sure Rose had his reason to let them play on. Most likely because they had an advantage to get off a decent shot. And, had Emery stepped in and not tried to bank it, the outcome may have been better. But, when that didn’t happen, how he managed that 2.2 seconds was brilliant!

For what it’s worth, Rose got into it with the officials and it was a big distraction throughout the game. In fact, I’ve read that one official was having numerous arguments with BYU fans throughout the second half. If you are an official in division 1 basketball and you are arguing with fans, it is time for you to retire and do church league.

The referees ruined what was otherwise a pretty good basketball game because they were way too involved in the game. There was one point in the game where there were a couple of blocked shots and a scramble for a loose ball and there was no whistle. It was the best part of the game.

They don’t need 3 refs on the floor…

While I agree, Mika has to pick his defensive attempts better. He doesn’t have to try and block everyone’s shot.
So, what exactly was the ref saying to the fans? Any hint on a conspiracy :roll_eyes:

Who knows… but it doesn’t really matter. If a referee is arguing with fans, he is in over his head. As an official you have to maintain objectivity and they did not do that in the first half, which led to an avalanche of poor calls in the second half.

BYU was winning this game easily in the first half but the refs allowed Valpo to get back in the game with some poorly timed calls against BYU and getting Mika out for most of the game. 19 minutes, 13 points and 3 rebounds from your top player? While Valpo’s top guy had 39 minutes, 26 points and 12 rebounds.

You can point to a variety of reasons why BYU lost this game but that is the most glaring one and it can be laid squarely at the feet of the officials.

All you have to do is compare the stats of BYU’s starters (who had to be substituted early because of foul trouble) with those of Valpo’s starters (who were allowed to play freely because of the foul calls) to see what happened. Valpo had one sub who scored 6 points and that was it. All of their starters except one played more than 30 minutes and scored double figures. Their star played the entire game except for one minute. Had BYU been allowed the same luxury the outcome might have been different.

Must be our stance on gay marriage or blacks and the Priesthood. Oh…I know. Utah voted for Trump…:thinking:

Are you going to have the football game on Saturday?

Simple, the ref got distracted. I didn’t see the interaction btwn the ref and the fans. Ref got distracted and should be doing the work on the game! Dave Rose should of just move on and don’t let those DUMB CALLS TICKY TACKEY STUFF get in his nerve!!
One game at a time and stay cool.

I’ve always said that whatever the refs do, just win anyways. We had several missed layups. They didn’t miss their layups. In the first half, we should have been up by 20+ but weren’t because poor box out in the defensive boards letting them get more attempts and free throws. Those early fouls on Mika and Davis happened on second and third attempts.
Emery makes all 3 foul shots at the end and perhaps the game ends differently. If Emery doesn’t flip the ball to LJ and miss him by 10 feet for a pick 2. If Haws doesn’t lose his cool and gives up technical free throws and is benched.
Emery was 4 for 8 on 3’s but only 5 for 16 total.
The offense wasn’t flowing either even with Mika in the game. Part of that was Valpo’s defense. The rest was selfish and lazy play. Yet, with all of this, we still score 89 points.

1 Like

None of which matters of course, because they lost the game. When I noticed the disparity in calls early in the second half when Mika went out I turned to my brother in law and said “BYU will lose this game” and I was right. The interesting thing is that when I see it and know it I am right 100% of the time. You can say anything you want, Emery did this, Haws did that, Rose made this decision or whatever but none of it matters or changed the eventual outcome.

I knew they were going to lose when Mika had 4 fouls early in the second half. It is the same reason they will lose to Gonzaga and St. Mary’s… because the officials will get the BYU bigs in foul trouble and change the type of game that is played. When it happens in a month or two I will point it out to you.

But that isn’t reason for the loses. Maybe in your mind but not most :roll_eyes:

BYU lost that game because peters hammink and the others are all seniors. Going up against freshman and sophomores

That was part of the reason. But BYU made some freshman mistakes they should not have. Even with bad officiating we should have won.

keep saying it because it won’t be the last time you do this season.

It is something you can say EVERY game and it will be partially true. At least you are finally acknowledging that the officiating was bad… and certainly in a manner that hurt BYU’s opportunities to win the game.

Is that the reason a player like Peters is allowed to do whatever he wants, including losing his balance and falling into Haws with no consequence? The guy played 39 freaking minutes to Mika’s 19. So even if Mika is a sophomore, it is irrelevant when you play less than half the game.

What will people say when the same thing happens against Gonzaga and St. Mary’s and other wcc teams? Will it be because of inexperience? At least Kaufusi will be around then and that will give BYU one more big body that the officials have to get out of the game…

1 Like

It went against Valpo too. But they stayed disciplined. We didn’t. So, are you going to be home Saturday night for the game?