So what do we do now?

arkiecoug
shoulds, thanks for the reminder on how we have been doing these past 7 years.

Reminder that when we were in the MWC, we were playing teams like 36 Utah St. 45 AF, 46 SDS, 67 Hawaii, 77 Fresno St. 78 San Jose St., 111 UNLV, 116 Col St. 117 N Mex and 128
N.Mex. St. Remember that 17 Utah had already left for the pac 12. and 16 Boise State had not yet joined the MWC.

The SOS makes a world of difference as to what expectations

should be when playing 8/12, 9/2, and 10/12 seasons while playing in the G5 MWC compared to playing 16 Boise State, 17 Utah, 18 Washinton, 21 USC (4 ranked teams) and throw in Tenn as another P5 team where we are hoping now for a 6-6 season.

That is why the USF game is the key to the rest of this season. Win that game and itā€™s probably 6-6. Iā€™m not so much worried about the players as I am worried about what situations the coaches are putting them in. When you are on the Toledo 21 yd line and run the ball for 7 yards-then throw 3 straight incompletions-thatā€™s not instilling a lot of confidence in your players. BYU out weighed Toledo by a lot-they needed to dominate the line of scrimmage, but when you wait until 4th and one and they know you are going to run you better run a quick hitter and you better get some push with the OL. The BYU defense is defending the pass 90 percent of the time and still giving up short crossing routes. My opinion is Mendenhallā€™s defensive schemes would make this defense 35 percent more effective and that is huge. So maybe that answers the DC question, but I doubt you will be able to separate Sitake and his DC. Now what do I expect? I expect Hall to do a good job and BYU will score plus 21-but how will the defense respond. I think they will do ok and BYU wins. BSU is not beatable using a 3 man rush. Their qb has been knocked down more than any qb in the nation-that is their weak link. He is also one of the most accurate-so give him time it will be a long night or day. USU is at home so that will be tough. SSU is beatable. We arenā€™t giving up the season, but the coaches better get their heads straight

Hall is a big key. Heā€™s a freshman with little experience. I expect the run game to have more work from this point forward.

Sr_Burton,
At the expense of sounding, (or showing myself as) really stupid, i submit a few fantasies, impossible situations.

1. 4th down with one yard to go for a first, and youā€™re on your
    own 30-yard line. The score is tied and there are 2.5 minutes
    left to play in the game.

I bring in my 3rd string QB. I put him directly under center
    where he can touch the butt of the center.

I bring my two half backs to be side by side of the QB so close
    that they are touching. (The 3 of them.) I bring my full back up
    so close that he is touching the butt of the QB.

On the count of 1 the full-back has the qb in his arms, off the ground, with the ball in the hands of the qb and the two half backs along with the full-back, with brute force and never-ending leg movement, are pumping forward, forcing that qb for a yard oveer the line to pick up the new 1st Down, instead of punting the ball away and allowing the foe to get the ball and with clock management, takr the game away in their favor against us.

If interested, ask me for my #2 stupid unworkable fantasy play. Otherwise, I wonā€™ bore you now.

grasshopper, I remember Hall from Spring practice. He was very,very good. I remember thinking at the time , that I would be happy with either of them.

Whatā€™s your #2 brilliant play?

Go ahead Ron-Iā€™m a good plotteršŸ˜ƒ

1. (Second stupid unworkable fantasy play)

I am going to start my second string Running backs and hold
    back my starters for the full first quarter if necessary. I am
    going to experiment with ever possible opening on the
    defensive line until I find the weak opening in their chain.

Once I find that weak opening on the defensive line, I will finally
    bring in my starters and exploit that weak opening until after
    making several points on the score board, they find some way
    to stop it. Until they find a way to stop it, I will pound, pound,
    and pound again until the defense begs to give up and quit.

By the time they figure out how to stop that weak line
    penetration, they have forgotten that we also have a passing
    game.

We switch to the passing game whereas Bushman TE gets
    targeted as the receiver at least once per four downs.
    Every time he touches the ball, he gets 10-15 yards, yet he
    Seldom ever gets the ball. The reason, when asked, is that
    there is too much double coverage. From what I have
    witnessed that is only partially true and only some of the time.

Whatever the real issue is that keeps Bushman from getting the
    ball, needs to be resolved, right away, and today. We have no
    time for whatever it is that keeps him from getting the ball.
    When Bushman is double-trippled covered than Hifo WR, or
    Simon WR, or Shumway WR will make them pay.

I like simple. I like repetition as long as repetition brings about positive results each time. When repetition stops bringing about positive change, than I like the change, and with that change, I like repetition as long as that change keeps bringing about the positive results that I am looking for. I do not like change for the sake of change. I like repetition, as boring as it may be, until the repetition no longer works.

grasshopper,You tend to miss read what people write,'I never called this a brilliant play. Instead, I called it a stupid unworkable fantansy play, but thank you for paying attention to the subject matter and for your reply.

Sr_Burton,
Thank you for you attention and interest. I am happy to hear that you too are a good plotter.

I would like to hear what you think of both 1 and 2 of my fantasies.

I have other fantancies if interested, but I would rather here some of your plottings first.

Oh, I didnā€™t miss readā€¦:innocent:

Actually I like 2 the best. Iā€™ve always like the concept of pounding the line and establishing dominance up front. Itā€™s good for the OL to have a dominate attitude. BYU has always had a big line, but lately a bit nicešŸ˜ƒ. Iā€™ve always liked attitude on both sides of the ball. Back in the Edwards era, what they lacked in talent they made up in toughness. Other teams didnā€™t like BYU-some hated us because we were dominate not because of our religion. I believe the current OL could develop a little nastiness in them. The linebacker, Bernard that left BYU for Utah-now there is a tough guy. Watched him against Washington State last night-scary dudešŸ‹ļøā€ā™€ļø

Would it be better to throw the qb over the 1st down line? Well it might hurt him and possible a fumble.

dew,
We use the 3rd string QB for this job. We protect the first string and the back up while giving the 3rd string a chance to play. He practice for this chance to play all week long.

As far as catepillering the dude over the line or just push him threw the line, or toss him over the line with 3 said back ups standing up pushing and keeping the QB body over the line,how we do it really doesnā€™t matter. The difference is this: Donā€™t expect him to make this all important play on his own as we so often do and lose. Give him all the help that the opposition can not stop. The opposiition can not stop this play. We never do it.

Sr_Burton,
Bang-Bang-Bang, and Bang again. Find that weak spot and destroy it scoreing often. Donā€™t stop repeating it until it stops working. Once it stops working pound them over and over and over again in their new found weak spont. Be rentless. Be nasty.
Be unstoppable. Bang bang bang again and donā€™t stop banging.

Is anyone interested in my fantasey game plan #3?
Ron

The problem is we donā€™t seem to have anything that seems to work for short yardage or in the red zone.

Sure Ron! Go for it. We have 2 weeks before the next game :slight_smile:

I will never forget what Kyle Morell did against Hawaii when he leaped over and grab the QB. Good memory and winning the 1984 NC.

Yep, Where is our Oline and our PUSH? Grimes just has no confidence in our rushing once Williams got hirt. I thought Katoa had a great game and we hardly see him in the 2nd half.