St. Mary's is the target

I completely agree with your long ramble. Well said. I think Rose is seeing that. I hate them and love them. I want to beat and be them.

@grasshopper - We played poorly. Better movement on offense without the ball and on defense. Definitely needed better shooting. And I don’t critique Landales talent, just his athleticism. The announcers seem to think he’s an NBA guy, but I watch a lot of NBA ball and he does not move his feet fast enough or jump high enough to contend there.

Not sure if Landale can do anything but the jump hook. But. He can move his feet when he wants to. With good coaching he has room to improve.

This is one thing that really bugs me… how some fans completely discount the influence of the officials and how they can affect the outcome of the game.

When BYU made a quick run to start the second half and take the lead, the officials immediately started calling fouls on BYU… those were calls that they didn’t make in the first half, probably because BYU was behind the whole first half.

Then with the game still close and about 5 minutes to go, Landale got away with two fouls and St. Mary’s pulled away to win the game. In a close game like this the officials can have such a big influence to turn momentum or change the direction of the game. It happened and it affected the way BYU played… they missed shots, they lost momentum and eventually they lost the game. Would they have won? I can’t say yes and I can’t say no… probably not, but we will never know because the officials made it their business to keep it from happening.

When St. Mary’s beat Gonzaga they became the new darling of the moment and Landale became their poster boy. He got all the calls and did what he wanted because the officials allowed him to do it last night. I was holding out hope that the “nose” would do the right thing and be objective but in the end it was business as usual. He was the closest official to the ball when Landale got away with his fouls. Even the announcers acknowledged the fouls and felt it was wrong.

so sad…
but sadly too true

You hit the nail on the head, Reed. I also think that Schroyer has BYU playing close to a SMC’s game right now. In what world would we see TJ taking 8 total shots in 36 minutes of play and just 1 shot in an entire half? But leading the team in assists with 7, that is what we saw last night. The old TJ would have had 15 shots and manybe 3 assists. Rose really ought to think about turning TJ into a better scoring Emmitt Naar.