Take aways from the SMC game

Rose wanted to push the ball as fast as possible. All it did in the first half was cause turnovers and bad shots. Emery took about 6 in a row, all rushed. If it weren’t for Fish and KC BYU would have been in a world of hurt. Only good thing about the 1st half was we got 2 fouls on Pineau.

2nd half…BYU plays methodically and gives SMC a dose of their own medicine. KC drives and scores or dishes, it does not matter, SMC can’t do a thing about it. Fish should never try to pass, it is a turnover but he sure caused SMC headaches with his clutch 3s and driving to the hoop. He and Emery were the only guys that could hit a FT which brings me to a major gripe I have with Rose. Why, when the game is under 2 minutes would you have KC bring the ball up and SMC is guaranteed to foul? and you have Every and Fish???

Kaufusi is a game changer. I don’t know how many SMC shots he altered but is was a man among boys out there and needs to play as much as possible. Chatman has no confidence in his outside shot which is sad as you know it is all in his head. Good to see Saljaas back.

KC was sitting a 14 points, 7 assists and 9 rebounds with 8 minutes to play and it looked like he had an easy TD but credit the stud and everyone involved, they forgot about hero ball and got the job done.

This was a very well coached game for Rose, they focused on stopping Naar, 9 points and Pineau 6 points and SMC just could not come up with enough offense to compete with BYU. SMC held BYU well under our average but we shut SMC down in a big way and killed them on the boards. Gonzaga is still our biggest win of the year but this is by far our 2nd best.

Now BYU has a fairly good chance of competing for a WCC crown. SMC has to travel to a red hot Gonzaga team and play at San Francisco. Gonzaga will have revenge when they come here to play us. Should be a fun ride.

I give Kaufusi 5 shot alterations. Put that with 3 blocks and you have a major effort–7 pts, 8 “blocks” and 8 boards in 17 min? I say it every game: he does things no one else on our roster can do because he is so athletic. Beast mode in the 2nd half. Emery has had his worst games in our biggest games, but that’s just a freshman thing. Future star, in a big way. KC put this team on his back in that second half. Well done.

PS THANK YOU OFFICIALS EVERYWHERE FOR LETTING GUYS PLAY AND NOT CALLING A BUNCH OF SISSY FOULS LIKE LIKE THOSE EMBARRASSING SOCCER REFS IMPOSTERS DRESSED IN STRIPES DID VS PEPPERDINE IN THIER ATTEMPT TO MAKE EVERYONE WORLDWIDE HATE WATCHING BASKETBALL.

1 Like

The score was low for us because we shot under 50% and missed some free throws down the stretch. Also, it was low because of the style of ball they play. It’s just slower and that’s what they tried to do in our gym. We also began to run clock too early which lowered the score. What we did do is kept them from scoring in the paint and from 3 land.
I didn’t see any difference in KC’s game than before except he was making shots. He was forcing his way just like always when people say he’s selfish. That’s just way over blown and just an excuse for losing because if missed shots, layups and free throws in those losses.
Gonzaga will be different as they will play better defense against us. We have to return the favor to win.

Well, the Pepperdine game was almost impossible to watch because of the fouls. This game was refereed well. The SMU coach doesn’t agree but it was.
Emery changes his shot every time. He is leaning forward some times. He twists his body some times. He gets his legs under him sometimes. He hunches his back sometimes. His elbow flies out sometimes. He really needs to work on consistency in his technique.
Austin played another solid game too. Putting those two in at the same time made a difference on defense and they came through on defense too. Davis came in and did well too.