Tanner makes an appearance

“If Bronco were still coach.” That is a comparison :slight_smile:

You are right in every way. Fans would have been pissed if we saw Bronco playing Hill over Tanner as we are pissed Sitake went with Hill:

2 points here: 1) When Hill was healthy and ready, as a new coaching staff and toughest schedule ever with all our games on the road, how would you not go with Hill. That screams “stability” to me. remember Tanner’s games on the road to Michigan, Utah and Missouri. As much as we hate it, they had to do it.
2) If Bronco had stayed I think we would have been fine with his discussion to play Hill over Tanner but would have demanded Tanner get some time in game like Utah and UCLA where Tanner played so well and when we could not move the ball.

I agree with your post, Chris. I just keep going back in my mind to how TERRIBLE, and I mean piss-poor, worst QB in the world terrible, Hill was vs Utah, BSU, and UCLA, and cannot for the life of me understand why Tanner didn’t get in those games. Let’s say they put in Tanner in the second quarter vs Utah and we win that game. I would completely understand putting Taysom back in to start the next game. I would understand putting Taysom in to start every game. But what I can’t understand is how Detmer would not use Tanner to help in those games where Taysom was just utterly dismal. It is unlikely and maybe not possible that Tanner could not have been better than Taysom in many games this year. Therein lies the “woulda coulda shoulda”. That said, Kalani is awesome, people love him, he and Detmer will be great recruiters, and somehow 8-4 for Bronco felt like we were flatlining but 8-4 for Kalani feels like the start of something better.

I forgot to mention Boise…yeah. Worst QB rating ever

Who says Tanner would have done better in those games? He scored 3 points in the second half of the SUU. Not very good. Hill obviously out played Tanner in tryouts. All this complaining of yours is like the Hillary complainers.

You mean the Hillary complainers who block public roads, break other people’s stuff, and defy the police? No, I think that is a little different than my expressing my opinion on a message board among friends about who I think should play quarterback. Hill played like crap and we lost. Even AVERAGE QB play wins at least 3 of the 4 and we are in the mix for a NYD bowl game.

And I read nothing–NOTHING–into the stats vs SUU. I did notice that 76 and 79 were obliterated by their old teammates, but that is a different topic.

My observation is deeper. Hill played crappy because he wasn’t allowed to play his game. By the time he was allowed to run in the losses, it was time to decide on 1 or 2 points after touchdowns. It was inexperienced coaches that caused the losses. Had Hill been allowed to play his game we would be 10-0 and in a big bowl game. Tanner didn’t throw well Saturday. He looked slow and not ready. He got a couple of runs that I’m sure Detmer didn’t want.

Maybe if you explained it by saying that the offense of Detmer did not suit the play style of Hill and though it still does not, BYU is having more success now because Detmer is adjusting his offense to better suit Hill’s game.

Hill is still not accurate with his throws for the most part, but he is a QB who has to sort of do it intramural style. He just doesn’t do well in a structured, drop back passer type offense.

I can agree with your take on that somewhat.

SOME of the rhetoric on here is so utterly absurd as to cool me to have any desire to check in here and post. It is just too silly. All of you folks take care. I possibly will check back next season but not till then. Adios.

Wait a second Roy… your post comes right after mine.

Am I the reason you are leaving? Is my rhetoric absurd?

I try to be engaging and make some sense at the same time. :smile:

I don’t know. He seems to always be in a bad mood.

No Jim, not you and most others. One kook took over for another and that is one kook too many. I answered cause this came up on my phone which I am disabling. See y’all down the road.

You know, Tom, if you don’t respond to Beam me up Scotty, his insults just sit there.

You see, when we offer our view and back it up with stats or professional credentialed sports articles…we are idiots and complainers but when Scotty speaks his mind and backs it with an insult, we are supposed to believe it.

Just because I don’t agree with the assessments of Hill, you think I’m insulting you? Stats aren’t a reason something occurred. They are only evidence something occurred. Yours and others “reasons” aren’t automatically the correct reasons. Neither are mine. But, you have never even considered mine and I don’t get all bent out of shape and go to my room and cry. I don’t ignor other’s reasons either.

You don’t ignore them but you rarely, if ever, agree with any of them. I think it is a pride thing but I could be wrong. The truth of the matter is that Hill has been pretty bad with his throwing accuracy. It doesn’t seem to matter if he has time or not. Having said that, when he manufactures a play by scrambling or when he runs the ball instead of throwing it on a pass play it seems to be successful regularly.

This is backed up with facts, observation and consensus. If you don’t believe it then you are blind. :relieved:

I’ve been writing a lot that his problem has been that he’s not being allowed to play to his strength. Running the ball. In the losses, he didn’t run or go to hurry up offense until we were behind and time running out.
Not sure why you want me to agree with something I don’t agree with.

So you can’t agree that his passing is not very accurate a lot of the time? Do you need the stats to help you out or do I need to point it out to you when we are watching a game? His throws are frequently behind a receiver or too long or too short, etc. and it doesn’t matter what kind of throw it is… a long pass, a long out pattern, a short crossing route, any kind of timing route, etc. He is not very accurate as a thrower.

He is a good, but not great, scrambler and runner.

It will have to be next week against Utah St. I won’t be able to make it tomorrow.
But, stats don’t tell the whole story. The big picture as you like to refer to. Dropped passes. Restricting his natural ability to run and keep defenders guessing and out of position.

Hill holds himself back as soon as he attempts to throw a pass against any decent defense rather than SUU or Arizona.

They expressly did not let him run. They tried to make him a pocket passer. That was to protect him from injury. But it hurt the offense. That was not Hill’s fault.
If Tanner was so good, he should have easily beat Hill out for the job. He didn’t. So, no reason to think we would have won or even been close to winning those games.