Tanner really, really disappointed tonight

I wasn’t expecting a ton tonight but Tanner’s overall play and decision making tonight has lowered my expectations about 10 notches for next year. If it had not been for dumb luck, he would have had several really dumb interceptions and BYU could have easily lost this game.

Don’t know what the defense ate at halftime, but that second half performance was sad to watch. Got some turnovers and really poor passes from Wyoming’s QB but other than that, this defense (particularly, as usual, the pass defense) stunk up the field in the second half. Pressure on QB was pathetic as these guys consistently missed getting the quarterback.

If this teams play is any indication at all of what we are going to look like next fall, take away Williams and we will lose a ton of games. Outside of Williams, can’t point to a single other player who showed anything tonight.

When does a win feel like a loss - tonight! Super disappointed in how our team played in that second half.

We were Lucky…LUCKY, LUCKY. Jamaal and the defense and O-Line won it for us. Nacua helped win it for us. Wyoming won the stats but we outscored them. Props to our defense. Mangum did not have enough playing time to be accurate nor did he have the playing experience this year to make many good split second decisions.
Hopefully Tanner will have enough reps in spring practice and in August. He was pretty much wasted by the coaching staff this year.

Mangum outplayed tonight. Credit Williams and Nacua for this win. It’s easy math-better hope for better for next year or it’s going to be restless in blue goggle land. Maybe people ought to be more inquiring like Hawks-can’t believe I just uttered those words-save me

BYU wasted Mangum this year by not playing him enough.

1 Like

Mangum made decision mistakes a freshman shouldn’t make. He’s played enough games to know better

LOL! you know you should be questioning everything. It’s necessary to your learning and growth. I do it with everything, including church stuff. When you aren’t questioning what you see or perceive, you can end up getting stuck going down the wrong path.

One thing I would not do is judge Tanner Mangum on one game, at the end of the season, when he hasn’t hardly played this year. BYU won the game, Jamal was a beast, time to look forward to next year. BYU is going to continue getting better, don’t forget they lost 4 games by a combined 8 points…

1 Like

A win is a win. But I agree. Tanner doesn’t look like the QB of last year. I hope the other QBs see this and make Tanner start working a lot harder.
I did like the fact the receivers did catch the ball in the rain when it was close to them. Even the tip touchdown :slight_smile:

OK but I better be careful who I question church stuff around[quote=“JimHawks, post:6, topic:7201, full:true”]

LOL! you know you should be questioning everything. It’s necessary to your learning and growth. I do it with everything, including church stuff. When you aren’t questioning what you see or perceive, you can end up getting stuck going down the wrong path.

One thing I would not do is judge Tanner Mangum on one game, at the end of the season, when he hasn’t hardly played this year. BYU won the game, Jamal was a beast, time to look forward to next year. BYU is going to continue getting better, don’t forget they lost 4 games by a combined 8 points…
[/quote]

No I have hopes for Mangum for next year. This was just one game. He did however make some poor decisions that he knows better than to make. Taking that last sack instead of throwing it out of bounds could have been a game breaker.

Tanner didn’t look great, but with the rain and all, it was awful playing conditions. My main concern is how the team fell apart in the 4th quarter. On both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. I thought for sure Wyoming was going to win. If the QB from Wyoming had seen the receiver to the right, they would have won. The receiver was open in the endzone. We got lucky.

2 Likes

That was with Taysom Hill. Tanner did not look very good and had several weeks to prepare. Is this how he will look for the first game next year. And without Williams. I hope Canada improves too.

Portland State is first game-he will be OK for that one:smirk:

Poinsettia Bowl 2016 redefines “UGLY” win. :robot: You knew it was going to be a strange game when rain started pouring down from the get-go. It NEVER rains in San Diego (climate change, right?)!. Anyway, it threw off the passing game and contributed to Jamaal’s fumble. For anyone that has ever played in a turkey bowl with your bros at Thanksgiving, how great was that play where Kurtz went up for a pass in the endzone and ended up skidding in the mud? It doesn’t get any better than that. And then there was that funky floating pass/shot put into the end zone that pinballed to Balderree. Note to Tanner Mangum: “Nice try but you’ve got to call it first just like when you bank in a 3pt shot.” Actually, that is the exact play I have been calling for when Corbin Kaufusi comes in as a tight end. Just loft it to an area and let Corbin go up and get it. Where will this game go down in the annuls of cougarfandom? Well, let me put it this way; I’m sure my wife will be happy that BYUTV will re-run this game a couple of times every year on BYUTV on Saturday mornings because when I sit down with a bowl of cereal and turn-on the TV, I’ll be more than willing to turn off the set and help with the vacuuming. Seriously though, I’m not worried about Tanner. He got this one out of his system and got the ugly win. I’m sure there are greater things to come from him in the next two seasons.

1 Like

I concur with your comment about not putting too much into the play of either QB in this game, particularly in the first half. Wyoming’s QB had a really, really good year but he also looked just terrible in the first half in the pouring rain. Add to that the fact that that field is not designed to drain, and the turf was a mess. Both teams looked better throwing the ball in the second half after it stopped raining.

1 Like

I have no problem with the play, even though the Wyoming qb far out played Mangum in the 2nd half-rain or not. My problem was the decision making which lends credence to the rumor that Mangum wasn’t really getting Detmer’s offense. Mangum does some good things, like viewing the field, much better than Taysom. Time will tell and what I saw and what has been written through the media, an abysmal performance and lingering question marks about 2017. Time will reveal all.

Mangum will look great next year. The playing conditions for passing were terrible. Both QBs threw SEVERAL terrible ducks that simply slipped out of their hands, including the ball Lake picked off. Remember on the 3rd quarter TD drive when the Wyoming QB tried to throw a little dump to the left flat to #5? It slipped out of his hand and somehow went like 5 yards high? Yuk. These were two very good QBs who had QB ratings of 37 and 43 last night. Double yuk.

1 Like

Agreed. I was really disappointed when I saw how hard it was raining because I wanted to see how effective Tanner’s passing game would be. It was pretty clear the passing game was going to suffer. I felt bad for Taysom because under those conditions, he would have shined and finished his career with a solid bowl win.

1 Like

Jamaal’s fumble happened because he did the right thing and switched the ball into his left hand/arm away from the defender as he should do. Only, at about the same time, the defender came down on the ball before he could secure it properly in the left arm up high. That was a good defensive play. The next time Jamaal ran, when he was getting hit, he put two hands/arms on the ball. That’s what he should have done on the fumble play.
Wyoming managed to pass and run the ball in the second half and score two touchdowns. So did we. I think our offensive play calling in the 4th quarter had something left to be desired. Tanner’s decision to take a sac instead of throwing it away had something left to be desired too. Why not a quick 5 yard pass attempt for a first down? Even another run to Jamaal would have been a better play call. Ty can do better.
Tanner simply looked slow out there. 8 for 15??? With Hill, we would have put up 42 on them.
Defense in the second half looked really bad. Nacua had to bail us out again…

Concur about Magnum. I hope the other QB’s in the system see that they have a shot and really compete for the job. If Tanner is all that NFL ready QB then he will decide to get Detmer’s offense or move on.

It rains in Indiana and everywhere else for high school, college and the pros. That was not the reason for the poor QB ratings. We lucked out last night. The defense in the second half was simply horrible. That had nothing to do with the rain or Wyoming’s offense. We looked slow on the line like no effort was going on. The backs looked slow in reaction up until Nacua’s saving interception. Tanner won’t look great if he plays like that. I’ll say it again. I hope the coaches let other QB’s in the system actually compete for the job or Magnum won’t look any better next year than last night.