Texas Southern score

Props to BA! Some teams are overplaying AB so much that he already has two games like this with modest points, very high assists, zero forced shots, and one or more teammates going OFF unguarded. AB’s 4 TO are less than ideal but OK if he bags 10 assists. Love seeing the growth from BA and isn’t it cool to see Harward realize that when a skinny guy is on him, he can just back him down and dominate?

Pope is the man. Period. All the best characteristics of a coach just ooze off of that dude. Everyone around him loves him and WANTS to be better.

1 Like

Yup, having said that BYU has figured some things out. We are solid inside with Haarms and Harward, as predicted. Solid at guard, ABBA, Harding, Johnson. But struggling in the forward position Lohner, Lowell, George. Lowell is just plain rusty. one step slow, has not found his niche, Lohner is tryin but clearly not a master of his domain (did everyone see Lohner wipe out Harward on a ORebound?) And don’t even ask me about George. No clue what or why he could have a 10-15 game and then no time. no clue.

But, are we a Dance team, I think so. WCC is Better then the Mtn and should have 2 maybe 3 teams. P12 is not impressing me much.

Harward continues to play well. Johnson had an off game. Only thing Lohner is done is rebounding and im sure Pope is not benching him, is a confidence issue and lack of a fill-in. Lohner will break out eventually, but right now fouls and TOS are hurting BYU

Yeh Harward is outplaying Lee. And ABBA is finally playing like we had hoped. Looking forward to Weber

Very well put Jim…
I think most fans understands that with 8 or 10 new players on the team, chemistry will take time to jell (especially this Covid year) and we are starting to see some of the fruit of what Pope is doing during practice.

Although we did have a funk again in the second half where we missed like ten straight shots and Texas Southern could not miss.

He also had a lot of turnovers during the “Funk” BYU was in during the second half, not sure I was call him a “Pro” quite yet.

Ya, too short. He’s not nearly quick enough. Not sure what to do with Lohner. I have a suspicion that he’s very good in practice and that is important to basketball coaches. His shooting and decision making hasn’t translated into the games yet. His defense has. Keep shooting the open shots.

Have patience, he is a “true” freshman and anyone who has went from high school to college playing a sport will tell you that it takes time to learn how to play on that level. The speed of the game is so much faster than high school.

Agreed. And with Baxter out Lohner NEEDS to play because of his rebounding ability. He is 5th on the team in MP but first in RPG. He plays less than 7’3" Haarms but gets nearly twice as many boards. Lohner is also a tough, long, athletic post defender, and that has been a real bonus. Lohner (like Baxter) is an athletic freak who has the potential to develop into a real star–now, how a guy can go 4 of 25 from deep on mostly uncontested shots is a real mystery, but he can only get better, right?

We know Pope considers practice as a tool to decide playing time. He must be hitting shots in practice. It’s a matter of transition to the game. Get the feet set, square to the basket and keep the elbow in. He doesn’t look rushed. Do it just like practice.