The Mental Errors

Actually Grasshopper the officials did have something to do with this game…

The Big10 allows DB to play physical with the receiver’s beyond the 5 yard mark. In the first qtr alone I count SIX classic “Pass interference” calls on Michigan that was not called. That is why BYU player were always holding up their hands as to say “Wasn’t that a PI?”

I talked to my source on Sunday and he said that kind of got into the heads of the players… Which threw their game off…

This is one of my major points against the NCAA… They need to pull ALL of the officials under their umbrella and teach them the way to call a game… This would add to consistent calling and their would be no conference bias as we see in the PAC12 officials.

As for the game, my opinion about Anae has not changed, he is not that good and until Bronco or Tom Holmoe realizes that… Our Offense will look pretty much like this year in and year out.

For some unknown reason, Bronco defense looks bad this year, not sure if it is injuries or bad recruiting… but they are not the defense Bronco usually produces…

Wow Jim… What a Bronco defender you have become…

Injuries are part of the game… Not Bronco’s fault, but having good backups… is Bronco fault because HE is the HEAD COACH… and ultimately it comes down on his shoulders…

HE rehired ANAE… Not Tom Holmoe, or some other person in the Administration… BRONCO went to Tom and told him he wanted Anae back… So the offense and the way they are playing is BRONCO fault, because HE hired the OC…

Bronco has brought BYU 10 win seasons as you stated… but have you looked at his record against Top 10 teams? Top 25? it is not that good, So to say that going to 10 bowl games is some type of accomplishment, well it does not ring true…

I blame Bronco for two things … Hiring Anae and promoting assistant coaches to position that they are not able to perform…TWICE.

His defense is bad this year, which is usually our strong point (since Anae cannot figure out how to have a good offense).,…

1 Like

Agree, the blaming of assistants needs to stop, Bronco has hired everyone currently live on the staff this year after firing former assistants. Not only are these now 100% his players, the entire staff is his. Yet so many fans still refuse to hold him accountable for the problems. So glad they are the cheap fans and not the donors, as donors have voiced their concerns for years now, if we see another collapse like this again this year, the heat will be turned up a notch again by those who keep the program in the black.

1 Like

LOL… which mwc team do you think will win the league this season? I guess most experts would probably agree that Boise State will win the conference, right?

So how did BYU do vs. Boise State? The rest of the teams in the mwc are average…

Just thought I’d cut and paste a specific comment I made regarding Bronco… this is for you Floyd, since you seem to have a pretty short memory or a selective one. Does that sound like somebody who is defending him? Anything I said that makes you think I was defending him, other than pointing out that they lost key skill position players (Hill was the biggest loss, but Williams was big as well) and that everyone who knows anything about football recognizes that losing key players limits you regardless of the backups you have.

Come on Floyd… you did the same thing with not blaming the offensive line.

So what should we do if the assistant blames himself? Disagree with him and tell him “no, it’s not your fault, it’s the head coach’s fault because he hired you”? LOL

So as somebody who WAS keeping the program in the black but has vehemently expressed his disdain for BYU football and refusal to donate until changes are made, what do you suggest? Let’s go answer man, what does your inside worm tell you should be done?

Jim…

Yes, you did say that… but you defended Bronco by saying [quote=“JimHawks, post:5, topic:3277”]but it is always Bronco’s problem and never Anae’s.[/quote]

As if Bronco has no fault in Anae’s failings as OC… WHO hired Anae? It was Bronco who went to Tom and asked Specifically for Anae to come back when there were several other more qualified OC’s out there (like the guy at SUU).

There is a difference between 5 people (O-line) working to get a job done and one person in charge of the project (coach), Jim…

The O-line lost three guys Saturday…

By the way, The Big10 allows that type of mugging of the receiver’s… They did not manipulate (like the PAC12) the winning of the game, they do this all year long to all teams not part of their conference as well as the team within the conference. I guess the Big 10 does not have a passing team in their conference…

Bigger Question: Why did BYU use Big10 conference officials, instead of bringing say the Big12 (Who they use a lot)?

Do they even have a choice in the matter?

Did the BYU coaches talk to the officials about the holding of receivers that was going on?

I think the Cougars have a tendency to roll over and “turn the other cheek” when they are getting a bad deal. I still don’t think this had a significant effect on the loss.

No doubt, we beat the best MWC team this year on a Hail Mary. Just looking at last season as a bench mark, the MWC is a tough week in week out opponent for us.

From what I understand the coaches knew they did this and told the players to basically “suck it up”… I think that is part of why the offense looked so horrible, was the fact that it was getting into their heads…

I believe the Big10 officials are TAUGHT that this is ok in their conference by the Conference head officials, which is like I said a reason to pull ALL officials under one head official group of the NCAA and teach them across the board what is and is not allowed. Won’t happen, because the NCAA is ran by the P5 conferences and they benefit from the current system.

I can not disagree with you about the “other cheek” comment Jim… I liked the old defense days of Shell, Goveuia (sp) and White… were they did what they were allowed and never looked back… The old offense days where if you smack a WR, the ugly big lineman “pancaked” you… oh the good ole days.

BYU has to agree in almost every contract vs any P5 team to use officials from that conference. I think it’s the case in every road game and also in almost all the games at LES. That’s part of the price we pay to be independent. I thought the refs were fine in the Michigan game. I’d rather have a physical game with lots of holding and few flags than some of the ricky tack stuff we’ve seen from PAC12 officials in the past where there are 20some penalties called in a game.

From my understanding Tom is the only Conference requiring their officials to do Non Conference games is the PAC12.

The general rule is the Visiting team brings the officials… BYU elected to use the Big10 officials, they could have brought the Big12 (these are the ones BYU usually brings) officials instead, but for some unknown reason they elected to stay with the Big10

Floyd:
Thanks for straightening me out. I thought we used the other P5 guys all the time, and not just in PAC games. Either way I think the officiating has been fine this year in all 4 games. I will stick to my guns that running long routes with a 5 step drop is really dumb strategy if you know the refs are letting the corners hold and ride the WRs all the way downfield.

1 Like