The state of BYU basketball (code word for Rose's coaching style)

three of the next four are on the road…so not too much longer before the worst of the season should be over… unless you think that selection Sunday will be as bad as it is looking.

losing to any of the next 4 would be disaster. Remind me again, Who won the WCC tourney back in 2012? If it was the Zags, I owe you $$$ dollars.

We have been waiting since 2001 for the BYU Men to win a conference title. Sure, Rose gets a lot of wins because BYU is a big fish in a little pond with two other giants. HE IS A GOOD MAN, BUT HE HAS BEEN OUT COACHED IN THE WCC FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS.

Oh yeah, BYU was in that play-in game and then got blown out in the first round by Marquette. I think Carlino transferred the next year there or something.

I was watching some college basketball announcers/prognosticators tonight and they were talking about the possibility of the wcc having three teams yet none of the four ever mentioned BYU. All they did was talk about how deserving and worthy Gonzaga and St. Mary’s were of being in the ncaa tournament. One guy said that Gonzaga and St. Mary’s are only in danger of losing a conference game when they play each other.

So why did they even talk about the wcc being a three team bid league? If nobody else can supposedly beat them besides each other… which I don’t think is realistic but certainly possible… then why do they even suggest the wcc is a three bid league?

Stupid talking heads… but if BYU had a signature win or no bad losses I think it would be possible. Unfortunately they have no signature win and the UVU loss… both bad.

In case you care, or didn’t know. Mark Few, Head Coach at the University of Gonzaga has the highest winning percentage of any currently active coach.
He ranks right between Adolph Rupp and John Wooden.
Expecting Rose, or any other bball coach, to regularly beat Few’s teams is a tall order. Coach Rose has; and been doing it on Few’s home floor.
Expecting Rose or any other coach to have a winning percentage against Few is an exceedingly tall order. Try 0 coaches who have regularly played him.

Defining success by beating a coach with a higher winning percentage than John Wooden perhaps needs a bit of a redefinition.

I agree with you Harold. In general, Rose has done a very good job when it comes to beating Gonzaga and generally staying competitive. Fortunately for Few is that a good portion of those wins have come in the lowly wcc, even though his teams compete nationally with the big programs. Also, how many national championships did Rupp and Wooden win?

My biggest issue with Rose and his teams in the wcc has been the disappearing act they perform whenever something important is on the line… when it matters… when they need to dig down and make a statement… when a win over a good team would mean a league or tournament title or a loss to a bad team would mean losing that title. They just don’t seem to be able to do what needs to be done when it matters.

Deer in the headlights.

They do have that issue. This time around, they have a great potential team and next year :roll_eyes: They will be by far a top 16 team. No doubt about it.

1 Like

Like 2015 when they were playing the number 2 team in the nation on their own court and BYU needed to win to even have a chance at going to the dance? And Rose’s team did? win and go dancing.

You forgot to mention how the WCC refs aren’t helping either… :wink:

On the football side, I really don’t understand how the NCAA refs call BYU for ever single helmet to helmet call. They get hit with a targeting call, and the player suspended. Yet, I see in many other games that the call is never made. In the championship game, there was a clear targeting penalty not called on Alabama.

1 Like

You’re right, Russ; and I would say there were as many as three that would have have been called on BYU. The color emphasized targeting is only “top of the helmet” to the head, but we saw differently in the games BYU got called for targeting.

Not only targeting. How about so many reviews against BYU during those early P5 games, including against Utard too. And Kyle Whit said after the game “it was the right thing to do(reviews)”.

Wcc refs does it all the time as Jim Hawks was saying doing a favor to this Darling Zags. Did you see no call travel (4 or 5 steps travel) on Kansas over K State at the buzzer early this month?

“You can review the clock, but you cannot review the call”

Would not want to lose that #1 seed now would we?

Disagree with that presumption. That was not an “if you win you make the ncaa” game vs. Gonzaga. Winning was great and it was a good win, but it was more about the fact that if BYU won, it would increase the odds that 2 teams made it from the wcc. Once they were in the final of the wcc tourney against GU, it was a guarantee that both teams would make it and GU getting the easy tournament win helped them with their seeding. BYU’s seed was irrelevant and beating GU at home was not that influential on BYU making it… I think I talked about this when it happened.

Besides, isn’t that the year they blew a big lead against Mississippi and lost in the first round? Yeah… it’s called deer in the headlights.

And by the way, terrible non-call by the refs in the KU-KSU game. All 3 of them were watching the play and they chickened out. That is lack of integrity but it is what keeps the KSU’s of the world from ever getting anywhere. It is the same thing that has and will keep BYU from ever winning the wcc.

What non-call? For what?

really? Dew linked it a couple posts up.

You didn’t see the guy that scored at the end take at least 3 steps on his way to the basket? He picked up his dribble at the 3 point line and traveled on his drive to the basket. It was blatantly obvious. He wasn’t even taking big steps as he skipped and shuffled his way to the hoop. The replay was clear, the announcers repeated it several times. Did you watch it?

Seriously, how do you let a game end on a play like that?

To be fair, they usually give GU up to 7 steps before they call it… :wink:

Seriously Scott. This is not NBA like some star players might get away with like Kobe might have done. :smile:

Lol!!! We might see that tonight btwn Gaels & Zags. :sunglasses:

Two steps.

You couldn’t get 2 out of 100 people to believe you unless you paid them.