Washington In-Game Comments

3 games the defense pretty much keeps Utah, Tennessee and USC in check. Then Washington is a bust but primarily because the offense made error after error like the Utah game. Mostly against ranked P-5 teams. But, off with his head! Glad you aren’t the coach.

Your accuracy is about as right as the left’s conclusions on climate change. A big NOT! Actually most of what you conclude is okay. But, not everything. However, you won’t accept any disagreement with anything. Benevolent? Ummm…no.

Received breaking news from KSL

Bad news and so tough to deal with for Ty. Hate it if opposing players would try to do big damage to certain players in college football or any sports in general. The question here, will he put in medical redshirt or he’s done?

Why do you say he was trying to do damage? He was tackling Williams. Bang-bang play. I hope he can play again but if he’s healthy he may see if he can go pro in some league. This really hurts. Not sure if the backups can pick up the slack.

TxCougar mentioned UW player made contact using his helmet to ram right at the knee? Can’t remember, are there knee pads to all players to protect them?

Or demote him and switch him to another position.

One of the worst thing for runners, is when defensive players try take the legs out (dive tackle below the knee). It is legal, but I have never liked the technique. Too many blown knees in my opinion.

FYI, BYU players do it as well.

Watching the play, I don’t think it was intentional.

No, it was actually his shoulder.
Everyone tackles this way, most of the time nothing happens.
On William’s, it was the fact that both defensive player hit him as they went down.

Letting the offense score 28+ a game is not holding the teams in check.

My point is I don’t see improvement over the two years. Sitake fired Detmer after one bad year, why not the same standards for his friend.

Williams is running 22 miles per hour. The defender is diving to tackle him. Knee or shoulder to the side of the knee or close to it caused the tweak based on the force. Helmet or shoulder pad doesn’t matter based on the timing. It just happened. BYU players have injured people for decades. It just happens at high speed.

Why? Utah only scored 9 points on our defense. The other 21 points came on pick 6’s and 22 yards after a fumble. Our defense held the great talent of USC to few points too. And Tennessee as well. After 3 tough games we were fatigued. However, I believe if our offense scores in the mid 30’s we have a chance to win that game. But, the offense made too many mistakes.

Most of these brains in here were saying we would be 1-3 or even 0-4 at this point. We are 2-2. I just think there is over reaction going on.

We totally agree. The job is to tackle the runner. It’s really unfortunate.

Yep!!! We agree again! This is getting scary.

At the risk of being told i lack humility because I use numbered lists🙂, here’s my take based on sitting through the Washington fiasco (without sunscreen!):

1. The team came out flat on defense and pressing on offense.
  2. Ty’son is the real deal. Losing him cost us dearly in this game and is going to be hard to overcome in the long run. Esukpa doesn’t have his quickness or moves and Katoa doesn’t have his power.
  3. Eason picked apart our zone defense and we made zero adjustments. The injuries have snowballed on defense and we looked beaten down at the end of the game.
  4. No tight ends except Bushman. I didn’t see either MLP or Tukafua on the field and certainly not targeted. I think we’re more branged up than anyone is letting on.
  5. Wilson played well at times, but as the game progressed he looked frustrated and either his throws became erratic or the receivers were not where they were supposed to be. Even the td pass to Bushman was poorly thrown and we got a lucky tip. Against USC he hit his receivers in stride. Against Washington he was inaccurate. The pass that Shumway dropped was a good example. No excuse for dropping it, he was wide open. But the pass was behind him. Had he caught it he would have gotten 1 or 2 yac. Had the pass been to his lead side, and he caught it in stride, he might have taken it to the house (which he probably saw and got excited and forgot to catch the ball first). I do not know what made the difference, but he was not the same QB. He still had decent numbers, but that edge of accuracy wasn’t there and it cost us.
  6. See my prior comments about the Utah game regarding stupid. You can’t give away points, give up 35 yards in dumb penalties on ONE drve, etc and beat (or even hang with) a team like Washington!

Well, in the Utah game, our offense really just allowed 9 points.
Tennessee has to score a touchdown in overtime and so they didn’t score much either on offense.
Same with USC. USC has 4 WR going to the NFL and other great talent. Yet we pretty much shut them down from the first quarter on.
Only Washington really hurt us. However, had our offense performed better and scored 35 points we would have had a chance to win.

I agree with everything. Very accurate. You know Wilson was hurt in the USC game. Did you notice he only tried to run a couple of times and poorly. No quickness and cutting the way he did against Tennessee and USC. He was arming his passes. Not stepping into them. I think his back or high glute area was tight and that is what was going on. But, he’s gritty. Maybe he should have sat the second half if he was hurt and couldn’t pass properly.

You know the rules and nothing go against how they tackle. Good thing I don’t play FB plus I am too small to play anyway - my phrame 5’-7", 120 lb my time back in 1984).

The only way to stop tackles like that is to say no more tackles below the waist. I mean, you can’t dive to attempt a tackle? It’s football. Not curling.
Okay, what’s your weight now? And were you at least a wrestler?

Like I said in another post, I don’t like the dive tackle, to high of injury probability.

Ask Tyson Williams if he feels that way!