What about Krysto at Utah

Krysto couln’t coach in a bigger league in BBall. Besides, such leagues would be very DANGEROUS.

KC: So what P-5 league has accepted BYU? Let’s face it, all BYU can do it try to get tougher FBALL and BBALL schedules and hope for mercy to get into a P-5 league. BUT NONE OF THEM WANT BYU!.

They want us. They just don’t want the Book of Mormon. They would have to be more honest :slight_smile:

I think being indy has hurt our BB program FAR more than our FB program. What hurt our FB program more than indy was having lousy or injured QBs for about 6 years in a row, and thus no stability at all in the QB position. With a quality, healthy QB we would have easily turned a few of the 8 and 9 win seasons into 10 win seasons. Heaps and Nelson and injured Taysom are a far cry from Beck and Beck and Hall for several years in a row (each).

But I agree indy has been a total disaster for BB. Rose has done a great job to keep it going when we play in a league that no kid in his right mind would want to play in if he had almost any other option.

The WCC has hurt the BB program but what is amazing is that the talent level in BB is the best it has been in school history. Next year the program will have 4 top 50 recruits and another top 100 recruit. BYU has never had that level and depth of talent. Now it is just a matter of translating that into performance. Mika, Childs, Dastrup, Haws & Emery were all much higher regarded HS players than Jimmer. Think about that for a minute or two. Jordan Chapman was the Washington state HS player of the year as a senior and Jacob Hartsock was about as highly regarded out of HS as his brother Noah. So there is good talent even beyond the highly publicized top 100 recruits.

If the WCC has hurt the BB program it hasn’t hurt recruiting. The recruits now are more highly rated than the recruits Rose was getting when BYU was in the MWC. It is hard to explain why BYU doesn’t dominate the WCC outside of Gonzaga. Gonzaga, and occasionally St. Marys are the only teams BYU should ever lose to in the WCC. In the MWC they nearly always won the games they were supposed to win. It is puzzling to me why they lose several games a year to some of the WCC patsies because I don’t buy into sports conspiracy theories.

1 Like

Reed… your posts are always interesting and motivating, in the sense that they are well written, straightforward and intelligent. They motivate me to want to respond, sometimes disagreeing but most of the time in agreement. I agree with everything you have said, until you get to the end and say that you don’t buy into “sports conspiracy theories”. I believe I know why you might not but I’m not sure I can explain it to you in such a way as to change your opinion or feeling.

I guess I would start out by saying that everyone has ideas and opinions and if you imagine those opinions fitting onto a timeline of sorts, each of us fits somewhere along that line. I am probably at the extreme end of that line. I am there because I try to help those at the opposite end of the line (grasshopper) understand and recognize what those closer to me on the line (txcoug, larimer bros, etc.) believe. Ultimately, my opinions are closer to those of Craig and Tom Larimer when it comes to “sports conspiracies”. How do I explain that? Do I think the games are fixed or rigged? No, I don’t. Do I believe that there are external forces that motivate a conference, the nba or ncaa to do their best to influence results in any way they can, without fixing games? Yes, to some extent I do. Do I believe that every athletic contest is completely free of influence, bias, tendencies, etc. No, I don’t.

I know those who understand what I am saying and agree with it get it. I know those who don’t understand may never be able to. They use myriad reasons to try and explain it all away. I know what I see and I have been watching and learning for a long time. One thing I can say for certain is that I am NEVER puzzled by what I see and most of the time I believe I can separate the anomalies from the influenced… I know why BYU isn’t winning wcc titles or tournaments and I think I understand why they sometimes have those weird losses to lesser wcc teams. They should compete with Gonzaga in every single game and for the most part they do, but they shouldn’t be losing to Gonzaga in EVERY significant game… ie. tourney games, games that determine wcc titles or ncaa berths, etc. Why that happens is something that an astute fan should be able to figure out. If you don’t want to use the term “conspiracy”, call it something else. But you don’t have to buy into a conspiracy theory to explain much of what you are seeing. There is no reason to be “puzzled”. If you can read and understand what Larimer and I write, you will understand soon enough.

One final thought here… I would love to sit with Dave Rose, behind closed doors and free of any repercussions, and talk to him about his true feelings regarding all of the reasons the wcc plays out the way it does, with Gonzaga winning… every year. He has had 5 years now to observe and be in the middle of it.

it’s called focus and toughness.

All five of the past years BYU has had the talent on the bench and on the court to beat every team in the league. But Haws and KC weren’t good enough leaders to step it up and raise the performance of the rest of the team to the levels that would allow them to actually beat all the teams they should have beat…
The difference between Gonzaga’s success and BYU’s has not been so much in the head to head but in beating up on the lesser talented teams in their gyms. BYU has regularly beaten Gonzaga and SMC and regularly lost to various teams that neither Bulldogs or the Gaels have lost to.

You may be partly right, but only partly. There are other factors that keep BYU and the rest of the wcc from rising up. I understand Few wants the rest of the teams to get more serious about competing year in and year out, but there is a trade off… and that involves other factors that will have to change. I don’t know if he is willing to accept that because he has become so used to getting it all his way…

An interesting dichotomy for sure.

Notice two others don’t buy into your opinionated conspiracy either. If Rose believed there is a conspiracy going on, he would have to call it out or be compliced in the conspiracy. Conspiracies are illegal. So, I doubt you would get anything from him other than he doesn’t know how to get the most out of his players in big games and ocasionally against poor teams.
As far as why we lose those games, perhaps they aren’t as bad as you make them out to be. They are good athletes and some times they play well enough to win. They also have coaches who raise their players to a higher level too.

Ummmm… yeah, okay. You don’t understand, you never have and I’m baffled as to why I keep trying to explain it. Your inability to comprehend or understand is mind boggling.

It’s not me that doesn’t understand.

I actually believe this to be true a lot of the time. What would really be great is if it were true all of the time. You think it is, I don’t. I happen to think that, based on observations and factual stats to back those observations up, Gonzaga isn’t always the better team in the critical, important games that get them into the ncaa tournament every year. Most of the time it is because they are just a better team, better coached, etc.

But sometimes that is not the reason… and that is the part that you don’t get.

See, I agreed with you up until this point. This is where the UFOs come in :notes:

If you don’t think that Gonzaga gets any favors from the wcc for what they have done for the conference over the past 20 years, you are mistaken.

When is the last time you took a class in economics or business. Do you do anything for someone in your downline that brings in a lot of new business? or someone that might make you a lot of money?

I think you are the one that is flying around in a saucer…

I don’t do anything unethical or immoral. Not like you are suggesting. I have bought food for new associates before they were licensed that lost their jobs. I put new tires on a car when I caught him pumping up his tires that had steal sticking out from them and bald. But I don’t inhibit. When I give out awards the people know what they are shooting for before they start. You really have an obtuse way of looking at some things. But I consider you a good friend. By the way, have you seen my son yet?

different dichotomy
BYU has done better against the Zags than against the Gaels…

I suspect for the same reason they’ve lost to so many of the lower teams. The inability to impose their will with the bigs and the inside out game that Rose loves so much.

The Zags have done a better job at imposing their with their bigs than the Cougs have.
SMC has simply played small ball better than the rest of the league.

The EQ pres. has been by there a couple of times. I have more responsibility now than I previously had and I plan on checking on it soon. I’m getting my feet wet right now… actually soaked but that is another discussion.

I haven’t suggested there is anything unethical or immoral going on and frankly, it would be difficult to prove because there is so much latitude in the situation. So let me ask then, do you have any incentives or awards for people that accomplish things or bring in lots of business/money to the company? What Gonzaga does for the wcc isn’t a lot different, just a different situation and circumstance. How would you reward the Zags for their contributions to the league? Few has suggested that the rest of the league doesn’t put any effort forth to get better or be competitive. Really? maybe that is how they thank GU…

As far as obtuse thinking, I know exactly what I’m thinking and what I am talking about. Just because you can’t understand or comprehend it the way I present it doesn’t mean it is so far out there… as you perceive it.

JH: The EQ pres. has been by there a couple of times. I have more responsibility now than I previously had and I plan on checking on it soon. I’m getting my feet wet right now… actually soaked but that is another discussion.
I haven’t suggested there is anything unethical or immoral going on and frankly, it would be difficult to prove because there is so much latitude in the situation. So let me ask then, do you have any incentives or awards for people that accomplish things or bring in lots of business/money to the company? What Gonzaga does for the wcc isn’t a lot different, just a different situation and circumstance. How would you reward the Zags for their contributions to the league? Few has suggested that the rest of the league doesn’t put any effort forth to get better or be competitive. Really? maybe that is how they thank GU…
As far as obtuse thinking, I know exactly what I’m thinking and what I am talking about. Just because you can’t understand or comprehend it the way I present it doesn’t mean it is so far out there… as you perceive it.

SG: Well, if there is a conspiracy to cause referees to help GU, that would be unethical and possible immoral depending upon the reasons. So, that is inherent in the conspiracy. The difference of my incentives, awards or Primerica doing the same is open to the entire company, the regulators and the public in general. Those who take heart to the opportunity win. Those that don’t work hard and take advantage, don’t. Thus, moral and ethical. But, what you are suggesting has nothing to do with the League giving incentives to GU so GU can get to the NCAA Dance and pay the league. When I do something good for Primerica, Primerica doesn’t give me more than I deserve and they don’t take anything away from other representatives.

The comment that the league (meaning the other teams) doesn’t try to win or get better because they get money from GU is silly. If we had 3 or 4 from the league going every year, the league would receive lots more money from the NCAA and the advertisers (ESPN…) Few is simply asking other teams to play a stronger schedule so we can have more teams go to the NCAA and then the league makes more money. Maybe to build bigger gyms. Fews comments had nothing to do with your assertion the commissioner and her band of thieves are orchestrating some conspiracy to only pay GU and hold down the potential of the league receiving more money from more teams making the Big Dance. And, as far as the referees, if the league was making more money from representation in the Dance, then the refs would get paid better too. So, I think the poor officiating is simply poor efforts of the refs to get better and do a better job on the court. Not fall asleep, day dream and miss misques like passes flying out of bounds and giving the ball to the wrong teams. Maybe try to be more consistent among all refs in the way they see fouls. My comments seem reasonable…

well said. Rose has been amazing on the recruiting end in the rec league.

Can we all put this conspiracy thing to rest? It does not explain why BYU has lost to WCC bottom dwellers year after year. That has happened purely from not having a true or good point guard in the program. Carlino was a disaster. KC is a point forward…there’s your conspiracy for you.

Carlino had his moments for sure. But a disaster? No. It was really too bad that he didn’t stick around for his Senior year. KC could have played the small forward and still handle the ball. And, as a Senior, Carlino would have really helped too.
Yes, let’s put the conspiracies to rest.