What we learned from the Arizona C game. Good and bad

Hamson won’t see the light of day, In fact he should be red-shirted, if he hasn’t already-Spend this year working and bulking up alot and working on his skill set, then a year or two down the row. Shaw is the one that surprised me as everyone was talking beanpole-he could see some PT this year. From what I see so far this year Kaufusi-KC-Fischer-Davis-Emery/Toolson

Half of the teams that play preseason games lose those games… the other half wins those games. For every game a team schedules vs. a team they can beat, a team schedules a game against a team they will lose to. It took me a long time to figure this out (actually about 2 seconds) but I know it is a fact. :smile:

I’ll use BYU and ACU for example… BYU scheduled this game figuring it was a team they would/could beat. ACU scheduled this game figuring it was a team they would/could not beat. Result? exactly what they thought.

Everyone knows that SG has a very short memory… he has a hard time remembering that Kaufusi played for BYU last year and that he showed a lot of promise.

This helps explain a lot.

For the purposes of my statement BYU is a team that schedules and Arizona C is a team that gets scheduled. Yes, I recognize that each game has a winner and a loser, however, BYU (the scheduling team) does not go on the road to play preseason games. The games that the scheduling team schedules for the preseason are games that the scheduling team thinks they will easily win. I didn’t think I had to be that specific with this group. I guess I need to work on stating what I think is obvious.

and Austin

My memory and the stat sheet on byucougars.com agree, Hamson was 1-2. He missed his first shot and hit his second shot. If you would like to review the video on byutv.org , go ahead.
Regardless, he will not challenge Kaufusi for minutes unless Kaufusi contracts a virus that causes him to lose half his body weight. If BYU lost Kaufusi and lost Austin, I don’t think that Hamson would challenge Davis for minutes at the center position this year. I hope he develops enough to get on the floor but I am more inclined to hope that he becomes a factor for BYU in two seasons.

The bets on!!! Hamson will surprise you :slight_smile:

Alan Hamson had surgery right after his high school. As per one article "“He was crooked and then they straightened him out,” He was 7-0 and then after surgery 7-3. Maybe that was why he could not gain his body weight when he was crooked. Anyway, he will play or redshirt. He looked pretty impressive on his first playing pre game at the end.
http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/men/hamson-legacy-continues---alan-will-walk-on-at/article_a8cc11cc-a41d-5c95-a70d-8fe00962f858.html

Lol come on Grasshopper -you haven’t seen someone play and you look at a Stat sheet and already you have him replacing Kaufusi-time for assisted living:)

We need size this year to contend with Gonzaga. No redshirt needed. Get him lots of playing time in the pre-season.

I watched the game. Did you? I saw all 2:45 minutes he played. Moves very well. Can shoot.

Actually I did watch the game. It was against a team that was beaten down in the 2nd half who didn’t have a player over 6 6. I would love to see Hamson do well, but at this point in time he is a couple of years away and probably a red shirt imo

Scott is showing his bias because Hamson served his mission in the Ventura, California mission.

That is the mission we both live in. It was funny seeing him once or twice with his under 6’ companions…

Scott is the ultimate optimist-which isn’t all bad -unfortunately all I can see is what I’m looking at - it’s not that I don’t want BYU to be dominating they just haven’t been there in a while and BYU gets guys like Hamson all the time minus a couple of inches but they invariably get pushed around