What will Pope's staff look like?

It seems to be taking a long time to get a staff assembled. I hope he gets some guys on board soon to recruit.

The process is like the head coach. Plus, there are several of them. Should be this week.

Well I would and Pope is trying. The thing about Pope is he will not play favorites. He wants to move up the coaching carousel and an average or less tenure at BYU will not help. All those players like Chatman, Bartley, Dastrup would still be here if Pope was HC most likely. He is a players coach. Look for marked improvement in Baxter next year with coaches that know how to coach big men. If Pope can bring Burgess with him that will be a good add

Looks like Chris Burgess is coming to BYU as per Sports Talk… Should be announced in a day or two.

Also looks like the Toolson kid is transferring back to BYU for his final year (Graduate Transfer). This was reported by Desnews.

Both are great news. Toolson will settle down our guard group. It is a blessing in disguise that some are transferring out (referring to guards only)
Burgess will help with our big men.

Toolson is not a ball handler so we are lean at the Point. Toolson is the real deal, I also hear the Jessie Wade can flat out shoot.

Is there any truth to the rumor that Emery chooses to transfer? and who started the rumor? What is the source?

Senior wing Zac Seljaas said last week that he expects “almost everyone except Rylan and Jahshire” to return to play for the new coach. However, there are rumblings that more could be on their way out, including mercurial guard Nick Emery.

Floyd, I will give you some props. You do find nuggets that round out our discussions. This is the best article yet on the state of BYU basketball.

Some of the lines that say a whole lot about BYU:
Rose left the program in great shape (my valuation) I will write about Rose at some time but BYU basketball has a lot of good players as is, just missing a couple of pieces.

Pope was always the guy, he just drug his feet to get paid more and to get assistant’s more pay. smart

BYU basktetball is shackled by an OUTDATED HONOR system- 100% agree

Childs, Everyone I know in coaching circles say that Childs would be better to stay that last year. His $$ outlook would improve if he stayed. NBA coach put it this way…Childs has a serious hole in outside shooting, he needs to improve and he could be payed well in the NBA but the AGENT that he has signed with is a As_hole and that is the problem right there.

Now for the players Pope has coming that we don’t know:
Taylor Miller- 6’2 athletic guard, helps at point, serious hops, shoots like Jimmer. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=taylor+miller+basketball+highlights&view=detail&mid=B119A4CB21C137C1E046B119A4CB21C137C1E046&FORM=VIRE
De Silva from Wasatch Academy. 6’8 Athlete https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2018/11/19/18096055/byu-basketball-recruiting-brazilian-forward-bernardo-da-silva-signs-with-cougars, there are no highlights that I could find

Kevin Knell, 6’5 WC, Utah. Great shooter, good ball handling, former Cal commit. I see a slower Conner Harding here…that’s just me

Jessie Wade 6’1 Mr Basketball, Utah. shoot from anywhere good skills

As I look at this team as a whole, I see a lot of great shooters (Rose doctrine, outscore the other team) but seriously lacking in speed and defending

All positives in my estimation

Jesse Wade gone straight on to his mission. Played little at Gonzaga and per transfer rule had to sit for a year. 4 years very little contact sports. I don’t know he will be ready. But, I am sure Coach Pope know when he is ready.

Wyatt Lowell, 6’7 out of Az. Wac Fr of the year

That 6’7 will go a long way to help on defense. Think of a Seljass that can shoot like he used to and defend a forward. Will sit a year

Are you finally agreeing that after missions, it takes some time in practice to know when to put a player on the floor? I wonder where I’ve heard that before :joy:

I agree with most of your analysis. But, the HC is not outdated. The laws and commandments are still the same as they always have been regardless of the shifts in society.

Maybe yes but Jesse Wade we shall see. Dastrup was way out of shape but his 2nd year at BYU was nonsense why DR didn’t play him more. Baxter should have started from day one to help him to develop in live games!

As with Wade, Baxter agreed that he wasn’t ready. Putting players in at the wrong time can hurt more than help. I’m reminded of the truth of the words of Coach Mcginny’s words to QB Falco in the movie The Replacements. “Falco, you should have been carrying a clipboard your first year instead of playing.” He said that meaning it ruined Falco. It’s a movie but very true.

This is a big pickup for BYU, as 1 1/2 years from now they should be deeper in the front line then they have been in years

Write it down-you will see changes in the HC in the next 6 months

Naw…what you may see is how it is administered. Dress will still be modest. Hair for men will be above shoulders and clean shaving except for mustaches. Sexual sins still will be forbidden and handled the same way.

Yeh probably administration will be the biggest change

DR should have just played Baxter early but I know you like to twist our heads.

Why play Baxter early and not Wade?