Why BYU lost to UCLA

Tlarimer,

“I think our model HAS to change if we want to compete at the top in football”.

1.)
I think that we must be very careful not to allow our academic standards to fall below the academic standards of the respected P5 conference teams.

2.)
I think that we must let it be know on our recruiting trail that the stars attached to a player name,
is important to us and that we do respect all the work that went into earning those stars and we want those with the stars to excel and be the leader of our team.

3).
When we have a non member of high moral standards, regardless of what his religion is, he should not have to pretend to have Mormon Standards as long as he keeps his own high moral standards of his own religion and does not become an embarrassment to our University and/or Church. So, do I want double standards? No !! Our own members, LDS, should have to live by the LDS standards just like those of other religions must live by their standards. (Honor Code)

4).
Like it or not, good or bad, I think that our football program is a missionary tool. Win quality games and it is good. Lose to G5 teams and it is not good. Pad the schedule for wins and it is bad. Having coaches verbally pushing the Church message does more harm than good. Let the bishops and the home teachers and the missionaries preach religion and let the coaches, coach the game. Don’t be greedy trying to be all things to all people.

Thanks for your reply KC.

I think that for the most part, our coaches were brilliant for the first 56.5 minutes of our game vs #10 in the Nation UCLA. They exceeded all of my expectations.

My only question is: Why can’t that same coaching effort last for 12-1 games per season. I am in no way disappointed in our one point loss to #10 in the Nation UCLA. I am very proud of our team and of our coaches.

The lose to Michigan and the 17 point win to #108 in the Nation UCON was disgusting and unacceptable… #108 held us at the 10-10 tie for far too long in the game. A couple lucky breaks at the end made the game just okay. Not respectable, but just barely okay. What a let down in coaching. Michigan did not come close tlo being as good as UCLA yet our coaches let them shut us out at 31 - 0 ZIP. The last two coaching games are totally unacceptable coming from coaches that game us brilliantly coached games vs superior teams over Michigan and UCON. No excuses. Stop letting down after the big wins and coach for the full season or go into basket weaving or something not as hard on you.

As a compliment to our HC and to our OC and to all of the other coaches is that we know that you have great abilities as shown in the Nebraska, Boise State and yes the UCLA game that we lost by a point. As a wake up call, it appears that you just get lazy with your lack a preparation for the rest of the games of the season.

Please, I beg of you. Prove me wrong with quality wins over E. Carolina, Cinn and Missouri.

Jim Hawks,

I totally agree with you. I am far more proud of our 1 point loss to #10 UCLA than I am proud of our 17 point win over #108 UCON.

I am equally as proud, if not more, of our one point loss under #10 UCLA than I was over our win vs. a very respected, but unranked Nebraska.

I am every bit as proud, if not more proud, of our one point loss to #10 UCLA as I was proud of our close win to #20 Boise State at LES, however, it would have been a total disaster to have not won this game at LES.

Their are no adjectives allowed on this site to describe the non sense and inexcusable loss to the unranked Michigan team that we, the ranked team, played and got shut out to at 31-0.
The coaching preparation was F-. Michigan, at the time did not come close to being as good as the #10 UCLA team that we nearly beat. The difference has to be lack of coaching preparation which is unacceptable for any team that has aspirations of becoming a P5 conference team.

The 17 win over #108 in the nation, out of 128 teams was equally disgusting especially since
they held us to a 10-10 tie for most of the game.

While all our coaches did an amazing job getting us ready for the first 3 games, they totally failed us for the last two games.

They have 3 chances vs E. Carolina, vs. Cinn and vs. Missouri to get back on track. The rest of the games should all be blow out games or shame, shame, shame on our coaches.

Fish,

I respectfully disagree with you on this one for all the reasons stated above. Sorry.

Roy,

I totally agree with your first paragraph in regards to going for it. (UCLA game)

The second paragraph I want to go over with you and perhaps, you may want to change your first position. The rest of the second paragraph is regrettable right on, and that is the sad part of this story.

1.)
“This team, as presently constituted, is not built to win enough games and enough quality games to go to a new years 6 bowl game or the NC 4.”

We beat #20 Boise State this season. grant it 2-4 over all.
Boise State has had 3 successful BCS Bowls. They have had New Years Day games. Sports announcers are talking about them being in the mix for a strong possibility of a New Years Day game for this post season. Remember that we beat this this season.

2.) The regrettable part of your second paragraph that is more factual than opinionated, I sadly agree with:

" As long as Bronco does not embarrass the BYU decision makers with the overall won - loss records and keeps the scandals down to a bare minimum, he can have the HC position as long as he wants it. That’s just the way it is, no matter how we long for it to be different."

I have to say that it takes time to learn what coach Halliday was talking about.

Sorry Ron, but no change to my post. We beat Nebraska on a **last play hail mary pass. strong text We beat Boise on a strong textsimilar hail mary type pass. We stayed even with UCLA for the first 56 minutes but wilted and lost. Michigan blew up out and made us look like a JV team. And the UConn game - the D bailed us out late and we finally pulled away. None of this makes for a top of the line P5 school, for most people without a hound in the race. With the “possible” exception of Missouri, none of the rest of the games on our schedule, even if we win all the games big, will gain us respect. For the power brokers it will be Bo Diddly Tech beating up on other Bo Diddly Techs. We are one of the better mid-major teams. That is a fact, no matter how you slice it.

Beating ECU big might help a little. They lost a close game to Florida but got blown out by Navy. I think they are a pretty good team but one that BYU should beat. However, if BYU allows them to hang around (the days of blow out wins seem to be a thing of the past for the Cougars) and give them hope, ala’ UCONN, then I think it is anyone’s game.

There is also Cincinatti, who is no pushover after beating Miami… and Missouri (you mentioned them), who is 4-1. BYU’s schedule is still pretty tough and they will probably need a few of the easier games vs. Wagner adn Fresno State to stay healthy.