Why Utah won the game

I agree Hill’s accuracy was sporadic through a lot of the game, but he managed to lead a wonderful 70 yard drive at the end when it counted. If only he could have delivered on the conversion. I think he’s going to tear things up in the UCLA game.

Always the ambassador. You just say things better than I can:

when we have an embarrassment of riches with a potential All American QB sitting on the bench, I would have given Mangum reps. Using two players at one position in one game for lack of execution on the part of one does not rise to a “benching” in my book. If I were talking to that former player quoted in the Herald, I’d tell him that I agree that Mangum was off in the bowl game, and that had a healthy Taysom Hill been sitting on the bench, I’d have called for Hill to get reps at Mangum’s expense in the bowl game."

If Rosen does not burn us for a bunch in the 1st half, I think BYU will be fine.

John… You do realize that Taysom is actually a graduate 5 year player, not someone who just came in right?

My knock on him is not understanding the system, but rather the mechanics of his throws… He was either too high, too low or throwing to the wrong shoulder or throwing bullets instead of touch passes… Which has nothing to do with scheme of the system.

He acted like he was a freshman out there instead of a season veteran.

Granted, the receivers did not help his game by dropping passes that hit their hands either.

By the way, Calling for the backup QB is a tradition at BYU…

They did it to Marc Wilson, Steve Young, Bosco, Beck, Hall, etc…

What??? Is this true?

I thought Hill looked much improved as a passer in last year’s opener against Nebraska. Maybe he is just a bit rusty from sitting out all of last season. I think his arm strength is fine. His accuracy is a bit off right now. He doesn’t have Mangum’s arm but he has thrown the ball downfield with some success in the past. It doesn’t seem like many downfield plays are being called or the routes just haven’t been open so he is throwing underneath all the time.

I didn’t see the Utah game but I thought he looked slower against Arizona. I don’t know if he was holding back something or what. He said he needs to lose a little weight and that he thought he wasn’t as quick yet implying it was an issue with the excess weight… With the injury he had I am wondering how much serious conditioning he was able to do or if most of his regimen was just rehabbing the foot.

Hill has a gun for an arm-he was off against Utah-watch against UCLA. He looked much better running against Utah than Arizona. BYU WIll IMPROVE in each game. New system-it takes time. Not worried about Hill’s arm or accuracy -more concerned with him locking on receivers.

My question is that this is his second game, I thought he did better in the first game against Arizona than the Utah game…

Maybe the hype got to him or something, he sure did not look sharp.

Is this what you are talking about John?

whoa now, who is Keith Shirts. He just summed up what we are seeing.

So give Tanner some reps. Any other school in the nation, Tanner would have transferred but he is tremendously loyal. He is certainly not looking at his future when he is all American material and he is sitting on the pine for a guy that clearly does not have the arm feel for hitting passes down field.

I am NOT advocating a change in QB. Hill is the starter but I think there are several teams we play that Tanner should have reps in. Utah was a perfect example. They could not score many points but had an exceptional defense. The perfect team to stop Hill and they did, so why not insert Tanner? UCLA is another as Tanner knows them well…as well as BSU. That’s all

I think this says a lot, “arm feel” is a signifiant issue. I am not one that likes to use stats to make my point all the time, but those are pretty telling.

Sometimes I think Hill is too talented to make it happen. However, it is hard to blame him entirely when there are multiple drops in a game.

1 Like

Wow…I’m not sure as I read that whether I wanted to throw up on my keyboard or just drool at the thought of having a backup who is apparently not good enough to play, but who is good enough to be BYUs best red zone QB ever, with 15 red zone TDs and no picks to boot. IN ONE FRESHMAN YEAR ON A TEAM THAT WAS JUST ABOVE AVERAGE. WITH ITS BEST RUNNING BACK OUT ALL YEAR. I’m with Fish: you can’t simply say, “he’s the starter, so the other guy never plays.” The ZERO 20 yard+ passes in two games statistic is simply almost impossible to believe. Hill’s completion % on 10+yard passes is atrocious. He was great on the last drive vs Utah because he was scrambling. For the entire rest of the game, Hill looked totally overmatched; the inaccurate easy passes just kill you–a pick 6 to open the game that was 100% Hill’s fault on what was supposed to be an easy “get into the game” completion, to losing an easy first on review in the late stages when Juergens was wide open and Hill just threw it into the ground (where Juergens had to drop to a knee to catch a pass from like 5 yards away). And everything in between. The whole thing was terrible–UNTIL the last drive, when Taysom ran wild, threw on the run, scrambled, and went all playground ball on the Utes. But If we really are gonna stand a dude in the pocket and chuck it in rhythm, #12 is the guy.

1 Like

I would like to make a point in favor of Hill stats…

If you rewatch the last play, you will notice that the reason that Hill went up the middle was not by design, but rather the lack of protection of the left side of the line.

There was a Ute defender in the backfield almost as soon as the ball got to Hill, he can not do much if he does not have protection.

I said it last week, one of the issues with the offense, is the left side of the line. They have allowed more pressure on the QB than in years past.

Wide open? Need new glasses brother. He was grabbed and slowed down and twisted to the left. He therefore could not cut right. The defenders were there to stop him going forward. He didn’t have time to fake a throw because there was a blitz on by to players. The only other thing he could have done was immediately run right and try to get the to the end. Problem with that is if you watch the play you will see a spy on Hill that would have stopped that. As it was, the spy was in on the tackle.
I would have liked a triple option play even though we didn’t have Willams available. Even more so. We should have kicked the extra point.

Agree with you. No time for a fake pass either. Should have been a triple options play or kick the extra point. Last 3 or 4 games going for it we have lost. Time to stop the heroics and play overtime.

Looks like we are talking about 2 different plays.

The extra point I’m assuming.
Hill looked much better this game. 52 yard run was an example

It’s time fpr Tanner Mangum at QB.

Look, I am not bashing Hill. I am not saying that Hill should be replaced, at this point in time. I was merely speculating that - except for that long TD run - Hill had not SEEMED to be the superstar of old. Perhaps we will see more of that superior skill in upcoming games, I very much hope so. But Hill has absolutely to upgrade his passing or BYU will have 5 or 6 wins on the season.

I don’t expect him to jump over people and reinsure his foot. I think he’s done well as a pocket passer. What has to happen is receivers get open and catch the ball. Not tip it to a defender. In my opinion that lost the game. Defense played well.
Hill hasn’t been sacked yet as I can remember.

If you thought Hill was a good pocket passer in the U of U game, then we were probably watching different games.