Will BYU crack the Top 10?

Spencer and Jarom are great! They do a great job promoting BYU. It’s why they are successful. To suggest they get Covid19 is really sick. They are husbands and fathers. A good friend of mine lost his son-in-law in a horrible trucking accident in Nebraska last night. A father of 3 children and a husband and a great guy. You must be Jealous?

Very good points but Don’t overlook T State. They played SMU very close as well as the very team that gave BYU its toughest game, UTSA. I don’t think BYU will cover the 30 pt spread. Just win baby.

You and I think a lot alike. But Holmoe on Rose was a delicate tightrope. Rose was never going to be fired. He is a legend so I think it had to play out as it did…But the Pope hire was genius. Sitake has me dreaming again. If there was a AD award, Holmoe would be the VIP this year for certain.

BYU is being pushed hard as not just a NY game but a possible Rose or Sugar bowl team. Wow. Take the hype but stay humble. Go Cougs

What a nonsensical reply. Do you have a clue what thawk meant? Probably not…

Why weren’t you at general priesthood meeting last night?

I think Spencer and Jarom overhype as well and we all know BYU has a tendency to get overconfident and think they are better than they really are. History has shown it.

Saying that he wants Sports Nation Covid19 our thinking it’s funny if they catch Covid19 is funny is really sick. Thawk wasn’t funny. Steve Lazenby’s Son-in-Law was killed Saturday and it’s not funny being a young dad. So, his comment wasn’t funny as the people on SN are young parents.

Not ready to go out amongst the people and sit around with them. My daughter has comorbidities and having surgery soon. The grandkids are susceptible with easily catching lung viruses. So, we didn’t come. I was teaching a Temple Prep Class On Zoom at 6:00pm too.

JCoug, don’t egg him on. He doesn’t get most stuff and it is mostly a waste of time to explain it to him. Since Coviding out Sports Nation means quarantining the show and not giving Covid to anyone in particular … And he goes to an accident scene where someone passed away … don’t even know where to start so I won’t!

You sound like Joe Biden trying to explain his son and Hunter and Joe’s wealth.

Holmoe did get Rose to have a merry go round of offenses and assistant coaches…which when even that didn’t work got Rose to do the right thing…
Doing things the honorable way is not always the quickest but usually works out well in the end.

I am glad to have Pope. He can get BYU to the next level. Rose was a great coach up until about 2012. He replaced Cleveland after Cleveland rescued the BYU program from the disaster of 97 and made them an NCAA team again a few years later and then the program plateaued and dropped to something like a 10-20 record in Cleveland’s last year. Rose got BYU to 20-9 and the NIT in his first year which was a remarkable turn around. There were a couple of conference championships before Jimmer and then there were the 2 Jimmer years when they won tournament games. Rose’s was a great coach and got the most out of his talent until Jimmer left and then there was a drop off. Maybe the cancer slowed him down. He deserves all the credit for what he did and could have moved on to a P5 job at Oklahoma but he chose to stick around. I think he was a victim of his own success in part and the expectation was that the program would continue to progress and maintain the level of the Jimmer years of 2010 & 2011.

The recruits he had the last several years didn’t play up to their potential and that may have been on him. He had a boatload of top 100 recruits and not just the Lone Peak 3. He left the program in great shape with a lot of talent and Pope got that talent to perform up to expectations last year.

I don’t know that there was any reason to have fired Rose. He won at least 20 games every year except his last year when he won 19 and that was the only non-tournament year of his career at BYU. You don’t fire anybody with a record like that. Maybe one or two more years like that and then you make a change. Fortunately he retired and I think given his past health issues it was a good move for him and the program.

If it is not on the head coach of an NCAA bball team who would it be on?
He did a good job of loading up on quality players but did not do a good ob on keeping them or improving them…I think that part of that was the merry-go-round on his offensive assistants other people could comment on more internal reasons.

It is good to have Coach Pope and his hungry, and talented, assistants…It will be interesting to see how Coach Pope handles the assistant transitions which are inevitably coming with continued success.

I am very optimistic about Pope and I hope he doesn’t view the BYU job as a temporary destination on the road to Kentucky (when Calipari retires), or another power 5 program. I think he can make BYU into a Gonzaga type program and challenge the big time programs. A couple of really good years and the recruiting that has already opened up should get even better and there is no reason BYU can’t make a final four. Other so called mid majors have done it in the last 10 years; Gonzaga, Butler twice, and Loyola (Chicago). It is much easier to build a top 10 basketball program as opposed to football. You only have to find a few blue chip players and surround them with good role players. In football you have to be able to recruit a boatload of blue chip players to build a top ten program.

Right on…

You totally misunderstood what he said. That happens frequently…

Not much can be said. If you don’t understand or comprehend what someone is saying then there is nothing left to say… except I do have to ask why you brought up the man who was killed in a trucking accident? Seriously, that had nothing to do with anything being said. Yes it is a tragedy and puts his family in a difficult situation. My condolences go out to them.

Sounded to me that he wants the two announcers on Sports Nation to get COVID19. They are dad’s too. He was clear about The two being shut down because of COVID19. Pretty easy to comprehend.

Thawk: “I wish they would Covid out Sports Nation until just before the bowl game!“

To shut the show down they would have to be quarantined for having it. Or others in the studio or family getting it. Just a bad usage of the virus trying to be funny. A guy in our ward about the same age as Spencer and Jarom ended up in the hospital with COVID19. He’s okay now but it’s not something to use as a joke or prop. He could have used something else to make his funny.

Umm yeah, okay.

You sound like a liberal news hack, twisting a comment into promoting a personal agenda. :grin: