Will BYU even get an invite to a P5 league?

Rubicon,

Back in October '18 you wrote this: “I’m going to make Ron U.'s head explode, but I wouldn’t mind if we dropped down a division.”

I still, in late August 2019, just a few days before our opener vs.
the Utah Utes, have a throbbing headache that aspirin, Excedrin,
Modem or any other form of relief can not stop the pounding in my head.

Kennedy said that we were going to the moon, not because it was easy, but because it was hard.

You said, " It would be awkward with a 65,000 seat stadium, and I wouldn’t do it for a few years, but if we continue to be non-competitive, I think that’s the way it goes".

Do you really think that we should keep dropping to lower and lower standards until we find a comfortable level that requires very little if any work?"

You said “we might actually be a better match for Division 2 with our unique circumstances and how things have evolved in 2018”

Really?. Are you just saying this to get to me, or do you really believe this??? This is now 8/23/19. We are working our tails off. We are hungry. We are improving. We are soon to be relevant. Where would we be if back in 2019, we would have taken the easier road to nowhere in the Big Sky Conference?

Give me a break !!! Yes indeed, you did give me that head ache.

Thanks for your post.

Ron (Ha, all in fun)

Winning seasons in the past made us relevant. 1984 we are national champions. Ty Detmer is a Heisman Trophy winner. And many other years in the top 10. Without ESPN. The Church isn’t leaving the Sports World. The Sports World is leaving the Church.

In 1984, BYU was the strongest team.

And half the nation loving you. The glass is half full :slight_smile:

No, BYU was not the strongest team in 1984. Sorry to bust your blue bubble.

But they were the team that did what was expected of them to win the championship by following the rules in place at that time.

It was because of that… the P5 leagues decided to create the BCS.

They had an interesting conversation on sports talk yesterday about it.

I’m with the BOT. We can have both as we always have.

I am curious in what do you think BYU football helps with missionary work? Is it winning games or keeping moral standards? Which one more closely aligns with enterence into the kingdom of God on the Earth? What is your thoughts?

There’s only one number one. In 1984, BYU was number one. Oklahoma and Washington can cry all they want. But more of those in both polls, including the coaches poll, said BYU was the best. You can have an opinion too. But yours doesn’t count. More coaches and AP reps said BYU was the strongest and best in 1984. Go Cougars!!!

This is the thing-when you are not a part of something and want to be-all kinds of conspiracies surface. We find that in the case of BYU and all kinds of excuses fly out of the woodwork. If BYU wants in a major conference then they need to win convincingly against good P5 competition and hopefully they are starting that process. It would be good for BYU if they would be successful at the independent level, then opportunity will come knocking. People like Grasshopper, continue to beat the P-12 to death with “liberalistic” agendas. It’s enough to make me throw up. Oregon State, Washington State are relatively conservative schools in a venue where almost all colleges tend to be liberalistic, even BYU in comparison to some LDS communities. It’s time to focus on being successful between the goalposts or on the court and quit making excuses about prejudices about our beliefs. Boise State has been much more successful than BYU in football for years, yet they are in the MWC. Much of the reason is their facilities are not up to P5 standard, but they are continuing to get better and one day I see them in a major conference if they continue thumping P5 competition. We need to quit worrying about what people think of our beliefs and take care of business in athletics and in our homes. It will all work out in the end. Lastly, we are all evolving-including BYU and the Church. Look at the changes that are happening all around us in our ecclesiastical structures. BYU revising their honor code logistics, showing more empathy for gays throughout the church. Not changing our beliefs, but being more compassionate to others. It will continue to evolve and the Neanderthals will continue to whine and complain, but for naught, because the Lord will keep giving more light and knowledge upon the heads of the Saints. But where much is given-much is expected. Yes you are right-we think a lot alike. You are an educated individual and a compassionate one as well. Take care and enjoy the season!

They were voted the #1 position based on the fact that they were undefeated that year, not because they beat anyone that was good. Michigan was a 6-5 team that year and we nearly lost.

That was the problem with BYU #1, most teams from the now P5 leagues thought because we had a weak schedule (SOS) that we did not deserve the title. Since back then the only thing that mattered was being undefeated regardless of the SOS, BYU climbed in the polls to #1.

No way could anyone consider BYU the “Best” team, well unless you don’t use logic and understanding of the game… Like you.!

The coaches voted us the best team in 1984. So did the AP. We were the best team. No one finished above BYU. Achmans Razor. The simplest answer is the best.

Washington State and Oregon State aren’t liberal. LOL!

Of course as usual you are clueless. OSU was primarily an agricultural school and although times have changed University of Oregon is Oregon’s liberal baby with some of the best and most polite fans in the country.

Wow. You must be wearing blue goggles all your life. “Strongest?” Did all those coaches and writers really say that? “Best?” Well maybe, we were the only team that went undefeated, we were really lucky to win to not so great Hawaii team and a bad Michigan team. Just say we got lucky to win them all 13-0 season and the only team that went undefeated.

This year BYU football team need to keep building getting better and start winning no matter how STRONG we are. Go Cougars!!!

And most diabolical Saul Alinsky(ites) seeking an unholy new godless world order.

Shish grasshopper,

“The Church isn’t leaving the Sports World. The Sports World is leaving the Church.”

Give me a break !!!

grasshopper,

“Washington State and Oregon State aren’t liberal. LOL!”

Your social graces sound a bit mentally challenged. (No insult intended to the Mentally Challenged).

Why do you continually categorize all people and organizations,
and all ideas, as (terrible liberals) or (wonderful conservatives)?

This smacks of the old days when things were labeled white Angle food cake or dark Devils food cake. Black magic vs good magic.
Pure as the white driven snow, or dark humor. etc.

I would rather be called a liberal for wanting to help those that are not capable of helping themselves, i.e. mentally challenged, emotionally/psychologically challenged, blind or near-blind; deaf or near deaf; orthopedically challenged, or for whatever reason,
unable to compete on the job market, or for whatever reason, the poor, and the homeless, or those that may just need temporary help.

Oh yes, I am aware that there are those that we can all point out that do not deserve the help, but that is no reason to punish those that do need the help.

You are proud to call yourself a good conservative, that is better than allof those terrible, (Bad name) liberals. I guess we should not be angry but just consider the source.

With all of your constant Liberal bashing, you are offending about 50% on the nation, but I can guess that doesn’t bother you any, because in your mind, you are right and non compromising.

Because we were put in Earth where opposites will exist for us to choose. And if you can’t see they exist what will you choose? To you there is no difference so any choice is good. Is that what you are saying? By the way. There is also Doctrine taught in the Temple. Not opinion.

BYU should seek to play in a G-5 league. Our best chance for improvement is in the AAC or to beg our way back into the MWC. To me the AAC is our best chance to improve and hope for a P-5 invite when the TV contracts are renenewed.

Good point RU. BYU is better off in a G-5 league, at least until the TV contracts are up. The schedule is way too heavy for the Cougars. Utah showed what nine years in a P-5 conference does for recruiting. BYU has no such ability to compete with P-5’s on a regular basis. Put BYU in a G-5 where it belongs, like the AAC or MWC (oooh, I hate to say MWC).
But at least its out there. I think we might have a chance against Tenn. and just maybe USC, but against Wash. no chance. Then we go for the other eight games. Other people’s suggestion are good, we need to pound the rock and get some WC’s to play ball. Wilson did his best last night, but Utah is PAC-12, BYU is G-5. Utah was superior in every part of the game except for kicking and TE.

Aro: A great post about P-5 conferences. Right on point. I do believe that the PAC-12 and Big10 (14) are pretty much the most liberal. The Big 12 (little ten) and the SEC are more conservative in my opinion.Except for Texas and maybe some others. The ACC may also be a little more liberal than most G-5 conferences with Va., Syracuse, Miami and others. You might be right about the Big 12, the “no let in” conference. To me BYU is destined for G-5 if any conference. I still believe that the AAC is best for BYU football and maybe men’s basketball. Perhaps in volleyball too. Let’s not go back to the MWC if we can help it.