Wow... The night before the beginning of the season

Maybe. Although, he was able to get around the edge a few times to help sustain drives. He is still fast. I just got the impression he was trying to show he could stay in the pocket and rely more on his arm. He was accurate for the most part.

Thanks, there was several times he got around the edge but only got a few yards and just did not seem to have the breakaway speed he showed previously. One game only though and the angles of pursuit may have been more than he could outrun with his best speed. We will have to way for a few more games to have more evidence one way or another.

I believe he was protecting himself as much as anything-running out of bounds-trying to avoid contact rather than running through people and who can blame him after what he has endured. It’s true-a lane had opened up and he could have run for the first down. I’m not sure if the foot injury has affected his cutting ability or he is just rusty or being cautious. In the end he did what was necessary to give the team a chance to win. The real offensive MVP, imo was Williams. He should have had +200 yards and played with attitude-not to be denied. Give him a game ball

1 Like

I want to see a post by Chris that grades the players and coaches on how they performed. I miss that.

BYU controlled this game except for the last 10 minutes. They are fortunate that a freshman kicker, who hasn’t contracted the mental wimp disorder that plagues our teams so regularly, was able to come in and deliver when it mattered. It would have been a shame to play that well on both sides and not come away with the win. The defense looked good, the offense will get better. Taysom was a little tentative but he managed things well and played a good game. Jamal is a beast, we missed him big time the last two years. He is the main reason why we have 2 former running backs doing a pretty good job playing linebacker… Langi and Bernard arent’ too shabby, ya know?

There is room for improvememt, the offense needs to finish drives with touchdowns, the defense needs to stay consistent, etc. but that was a good win to start the season and the best team came out on top in the end.

1 Like

You about nailed that score MikeH! Good job!

Thanks Russ! Yeah I got pretty lucky there. Was there a pool? LOL.

1 Like

I was in the high Uintas on a horse back trip into Swayze basin. 100 fish days, snow showers in the evenings and stunning sun rises. You haven’t lived until you ride a horse in the Western highlands. Oh…we had a game???

So here are my grades for the game after watching it posthumously:

A- for the coaching staff, Detmer and Illiaki got together and decided to be conservative on the offense and keep the ball as long as possible in order to keep the explosive AZ offense off the field. Hardly what we will see in the Utah game.

Nacua is becoming the general for our defense. NFL talent.

There is a reason Langi moved over to DE (where he is a terror) and the reason is Butch Pau’u, remember that name.

A- for the defense for 3 quarters and C- for that last one.

B- for the offense by design, this was a ''game control" offense and Hill ran it to perfection.

A Williams, the beast.

A Linehan, he can sing all the songs he wants in my book. The guy is a lazar beam leg.

And a big fat F to all the nation’s doubters for saying that BYU would be lucky to 6 and 6 this year. Utah is a 4.5 point favorite, guess I will head to Vegas.

I have a whole new level of respect for MikeH now. Only way you get that close on your score prediction is that you were wearing your man pants when you did it.

I hope you know that I understand and agree with a lot of what you said about immigrants… there just has to be a better way to do it. Unfortunately we have completely incompetent people running this country who argue back and forth, push their own agendas and ultimately don’t really care what happens to the rest of us.

1 Like

Bittersweet post here Chris… what would it take to tag along on one of those trips with you some time in the future? I will have dreams about that for a month straight now…

Thanks for the grades… I love Jamal Williams!

1 Like

It’s about time I got some respect around here. Seriously, great game, and I think we will see a lot of improvement next week. Utah’s defense is a lot better, but if our line plays like they did we’ll be ok. So much fun to see Williams again. That guy is incredible. I think the key is to get our running attack going. If we can do that seems will open up and the passing game could take off if Hill gets time. Maybe even a few long balls to keep them honest. Utah’s pass defense is always tough though so we have to be able to run. We can not lose to these guys again!

Lol -what? one come from behind win and the 6-6 guys get an F-? Chris I hope you remember that post. Still sticking to 7-5 and that will be a really good year! IM thinking 4.5 points are about right-gives BYU a chance to win but advantage Utah. Utah will not give the short pass so BYU better be able to hit the mid -long range throws and run the ball. Looking forward to the game

Shoot, I have been posting the same thing since the day we found out that Sitake and Detmer would be joining the team. It was all but cemented in concrete when Hill said that he was coming back.

As for Utah; Sitake could sleep walk through this game and tell you what Bronco and Anea were going to do. Sitake knows what Whit will throw at him in defensive schemes.

Detmer proved in his first game that he would look at each opponent and modify the offense to fit that game. BYU left plenty of points on the field in that AZ game. Utah is hardly explosive when compared to AZ and because of that I think that Detmer will be throwing the ball more. I even think that we will be seeing Mangum in the game for a series or two just because he was so effective in the bowl game.Utah can try to load the box on Hill and he will just throw over them. If they don’t load, Hill and Williams will pile on yards.

As for the season, BYU has always excelled when we have Sr QBs and Hill is hardly average. He also has Sr Williams by his side. This was a no brainer to me. BYU should be able to win every game this year but in reality, the road is never kind so I gave them 3 losses.

one last prediction…AZ’s 16 points against BYU will be their lowest game output of the year.

You must have seen the Wrubell tweet about how senior QB’s have fared against Utah in the last 14 games? Yeah, BYU is 12-2. In other words the experience factor is huge. I agree that BYU has a good chance to win this game. Nobody knows what will happen but they have a good chance. It wouldn’t be a shock if the Cougars won.

As for the crazy stats we get that help give us hope in situations like this, the guy that sits next to Wrubell in the booth upstairs is the former bishop in my brother’s ward (my brother does that job now). One time a couple years ago I came to a game and he took us up the elevator and we got to see the view and meet Wrubell. It was pretty cool. Brother Sokolowsky is a statistician extraordinaire and a pretty good guy too!

1 Like

In the last 14 games - you must mean the last 14 games BYU has gone into the game with a senior QB. Because for the past 12 games played, U of U is 9 and 3 against us.

Yes, I thought I was clear on that.

“how senior QB’s have fared against Utah in the last 14 games”

That sentence isn’t that clear though… but I followed it up with the “experience factor” so I think you knew what I was talking about.

So… in the last 14 games between BYU and Utah - WHERE BYU WAS PLAYING A SENIOR QB - BYU is 12-2.

You just had to rain on my stat parade, didn’t you Roy… :rage:

Slinking away with my head hanging down appropriately! :mute: :sunglasses:

No need to slink…

I could have made myself more clear for sure. :smirk:

Just messin with you, back. Jim. :relaxed:

nice research, Jim.

I also think that Sitake will know Whit’s schemes and that will tip the game in our favor.
Whit always had Bronco’s number so it is time to turn the tides.

research? :wink:

I got the info. from a Greg Wrubell tweet and he got it from the guy who sits next to him and provides all of those crazy stats every game.

Thanks for the compliment though. :open_mouth:

1 Like