2017 lineups and who plays

That’s right… why does BYU even bother recruiting outside of utah valley? They should have just brought along the entire lone peak high school team that won the “national high school championship” and it would have meant a sure run to the final four the next several years. At least now I understand why they don’t make a bigger effort to recruit outside of utah. :open_mouth:

Coach Rose’s team:
Bartlesville, OK, Eagle, ID, Gwinnett, GA, Mesa, AZ, Murrieta, CA, Richland, WA, San Diego, CA, Vancouver, WA

Last I checked domination of recruitment in your local area or home state was a fundamental requirement of a successful program except for the nationally elite coaches.
The rest of the team:
Alpine, UT, Alpine, UT, Alpine, UT, Bountiful, UT, Draper, UT, Lindon, UT, Provo, UT,

Coach Kry has the following:
Mission Viejo, Calif, West Valley City, Utah, Gainesville, Ga, Salt Lake City, Utah, Roy, Utah, Boise, Idaho, Flint, Mich., Inkster, Mich., La Verne, Calif., Munich, Germany, Antelope, Calif.

By unbiased news reports ie sltrib…the Utahns on Coach Rose’s teams all received scholarship offers from Coach Kry except for
Davis who transferred from USU
Kaufusi who publicly said he was going to play football in college
and two Utah State Mr. Basketballs who publicly committed to the Y as a Freshman and Sophomore
making it clear that they wouldn’t listen to Kry’s cries anyway.
Is Rose simply supposed to ignore 4 star, top 100 bball players because their parents choose to live within commuting distance?
Coach Kry thought they were worth recruiting why wouldn’t Rose?
Coach Kry has just the same amount of returning players from outside of Utah as Coach Rose has.
Would you prefer that Coach Kry get the best players from Utah just so you can be happy that more than half of Coach Rose’s team comes from outside of the state?
Maybe Coach Rose should leave empty scholarships and seats on his bench waiting for all those 4 star recruits from out of state? Oh wait. Coach Rose isn’t getting them. Oh Coach Kry has all of 1 Jayce Johnson…Utah schools are just such a magnet for those out of state players you want Rose to focus on!
Coach Rose certainly has things to improve on, including recruiting, but focusing on inside or outside of Utah certainly doesn’t seem to be one of them.

Number of basketball conference titles in the past 20 years - One.

Number of basketball conference titles since joining the mighty west coast conference - Zero.

The notion that it’s all good and BYU “must” win the recruiting battle in the state of Utah - hard to understand.

Why BYU still battles Utah for recruiting supremacy when they aren’t in the same conference and have no basketball games scheduled vs. Utah anytime soon - also hard to understand.

USC and UCLA battle for recruits against each other but they don’t worry too much about Pepperdine or Loyola Marymount…

The number of people who think it is important to win the Utah prep basketball high school recruiting battle - see population of the state.

2000-01 (Regular season and tournament)
BYU finished 24-9 while earning its first conference tournament title since 1992,
2002-03
BYU claimed a share of the Mountain West Conference regular-season title and an NCAA bid for the second time in three years.
2006-07
the program’s first outright league championship since 1988, its first national top-25 ranking since 1993
2007-08
The Dave Rose-guided Cougars went 27-8 to win the second-most games in school history while becoming the first outright back-to-back Mountain West Conference Champions in league history.
2008-09
By capturing a share of the 2009 MWC regular season title, BYU became the first program in league history to win three-straight titles
2010-11
Led by the National Player of Year in Jimmer Fredette and BYU’s all-time steals leader Jackson Emery, the Cougars set numerous program records while capturing a share of the MWC regular season title.

And I didn’t include Weber State or USU or SUU or UVU…although I do think that UVU will need to be in the conversation sooner rather than later.

And I misremembered and didn’t check…Shumway wouldn’t help in the paint anyway…
Though I’m still curious why Connor Toolson chose UVU over rejoining his teammates under Coaches Rose and Lewis.

Not remotely what I said.
In fact I did say Rose certainly has things to improve on, including recruiting.

That Rose is in the top 10 of active Division 1 coaches winning percentage. and in the top 30 winning percentages Division 1 all time does have me wondering though, if it is about as good as it gets for Cougar bball fans.

Hey, lets get through the next 4 years before we pronounce whether Rose has plateaued or not? Geeezzz

Before Lone Peak, just how many 4 star recruits did BYU ever sign? or another way to put it…Top ESPN 100 recruits?

I was looking at “league tournament titles”. There were a couple of regular season titles… and a few “ties” as well.

BYU has a much wider recruiting net than any of the utah schools, including utah. Likewise, they don’t compete with any of them in a “league”. They have been lazy over the years and simply assumed that all of the good lds players would come. To think that they would now have to compete with a school that only a few years ago was a community college is kind of crazy. This happens when complacency and nepotism sets in… all in a bubble atmosphere. “The World is Our Campus” needs to take on a whole new meaning when it comes to recruiting basketball players.

I know you didn’t say that, but I used the term “notion” as a descriptive term.

1. notion - a conception of or belief about something.
    “children have different notions about the roles of their parents”
    synonyms: idea, belief, conviction, opinion, view, thought, impression, perception.

With 4 straight top 40 recruiting classes, this is the year that we will finally see a viable team made up of those players. The glory years will be 2018-20.