A Memorial Tribute to Kobe Bryant

Not belittling professional athletes but they are compensated well and really produce little but entertainment. I don’t see that adulation for those who really save lives and suffering or those that actually create goods and services.

Look harder…the charities and foundations they have for kids and the needy are quite large. I’m not belittling scientists and medical personnel. Kobe’s charities and foundations are still running. His wife is keeping them going. Check out the Al Poulos foundation. It’s huge will millionaires in all walks of life helping out. You can take your lifetime Tithing and fast offerings and multiply that by 100,000 for his.

I agree with you Blue in Provo. I suspect Kolby Bryant got off from a rape charge in Colorado because of his celebrity status.

That doesn’t rectify anything in reference to Kobie’s moral character.

You have no idea what happened. Why spread false rumors? Does it make you feel morally superior?

Weird, hopper an employee of BYU and Kobe. Unique.

I’m an employee of BYU? I live in So. Cal. I worked at the MTC 1977-80 when going to school at BYU.
I’m surprised that so many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hold grudges, spread rumors they know nothing about and disallow people to repent. Sounds more like a DNC Convention.

Hopper - No one is holding a grudge against Kobe. You seem to think people have this bitterness against him. Nobody said that. We all view him as a child of God and a brother. I have no ill will against him. The point people are trying to make that you are not catching is the rampant adulation that exists in our society for entertainers and athletes.

Let’s not get into a discussion about the charity work done by the rich and famous. Everybody agrees there is plenty of good from that, but these are also largely tax shells used to handsomely employ friends and family. Or there are political ramifications from them. Or maybe you are saying the Clinton Foundation is this wonderful organization that does massive good in the world.

The Church also has huge tax breaks as well. Should we classify it in with other charities? It’s very obvious that his first statement if read by Kobe’s wife and daughter would be very hurtful. It was a cold statement and that’s why I reacted. He was holding a grudge concerning Kobe’s past with respect to the case in Denver. Everyone involved has moved on including the victim and Kobe’s wife. Even Kobe understands his wrong and has done all he can do to make restitution that was good enough for the woman involved.
From that time he has used his success to help others. Before and after his retirement. I thought that’s what we are supposed to do when we make mistakes. Be better and do better. Not hold grudges because he was successful and wealthy. Same with Hollywood.

You will never get your point across, so it’s an exercise in futility

Can we say thin skinned. My comment while tinged with sarcasm was with tongue in cheek. Chill dude.

But I do know something about the NBA players culture of womanizing, getting over compensated and over adulated for what they do beyond entertainment.

Let’s face it, Kobe got off Scott-free from his picodillo in Colorado. I wonder how many other events he got away with because of his celebrity, like many other NBA players.

Did he get off free? No he did not… she got millions just like she wanted.

Kobephile?

This proves much of my points. Members have difficulty following the Savior’s admonition to forgive all. The woman in question went willingly to his room. She knew what she was doing including setting him up to extort him. Yes, he should not have been cheating on his wife. But, the woman got what she wanted, money. His wife forgave him long ago. But, you and other so called Christians can’t.
The man is dead and you just want to keep on trashing the dead.

Hopper - “Trashing the dead” is a really strong term that you are using. There is no need for you to get defensive about Kobe’s escapades. I know you two share a city (LA), but you are so quick to get enraged and self-righteous when people simply state opinions about something. No one is attacking you or Kobe - this is all simply a discussion.

I think he is doing just that. When racism sticks it’s head up it should be called out. What else is it? The inability to forgive is hatred. Do those who refuse to forgive even when his wife and the victim have object to athletes or just those who are black? It’s time to move on. Kobe was an icon in LA for more than just his athleticism. The foundations he established to help kids and women of all races is quite well known.

Have you done anything when you were young that some people haven’t let you forget it? Our nation, when young, had lots that were wrong with it like slavery, bigotry and racism. Do you dislike the racebaiters for continuing to bring up the sins of the past? Isn’t it better to heal the hurt of the past instead of festering it? Same with individuals that have sinned, made restitution, repented and been forgiven by the victims and their families?

Pretty much got off free and clear.