Arkansas Recap—Not Good

BYU needs to put the pressure on the passer and risk the big play. They should get a few more stops and will give up some big plays but at least the offense will get on the field more and won’t lose its rhythm from being off the field for long stretches and our offense can be very good when it gets in a rhythm. The possibility of winning a shootout is better than being in a game where the other team has the ball 35-40 minutes and scores most of the time anyway and our playmakers are sitting on the sidelines most of the game.

1 Like

It’s a pretty good bet Sitaki is taking lead for the defense this week…

Not so sure… Read this article:
BYU’s foobtall’s defense reevaluating schemes heading into Liberty - Deseret News

Watch SN from yesterday. The interviews with both Sitaki and Tuiaki suggest Sitaki is making changes. I think Tuiaki has lost control of the players. The players are trying to do too much instead of just doing what they are supposed to do.

I will have to watch it, but from what I have seen Kalani is “making changes” but he has never said anything about coaching changes. only players positions.

My question is simple: will Kalani call the defense from now on, or will he do it for one or two games to take pressure off of Tuiaki?

Tuiaki has to just go with the flow or he’s gone. Sitaki talked about the problems. He’s most likely calling the plays as well. And hopefully not that stupid substitution thing 11 off 11 on. There has to be consistency and the best athletes in the field in third downs.

Best players on the field, PERIOD!

I don’t remember if it was Jaron or Spencer on SN, but they made a valid point. To get into the groove of the game, the players must remain on the field. That way they an get a feel for what is needed then executed… Or something like that.

I don’t mind a player getting a breather but bring in the next best player or two. Not 11 3rd stringers. And, many are also pointing out the offense should score more. But, until there are more plays for the TE, that won’t happen.

I thought it was a very embarrassing moment for BYU football when, in a nationally televised game, we substituted all 11 on defense in the middle of a series, then Arkansas scored on the very next play when the new defenders were nowhere near the receiver. It made BYU look like a complete mess, coaches and players alike. I have never seen a defense do that, ever, at any level of football, and it certainly never happens in the NFL or in D1. As if giving up 50+ points and 1000 yards wasn’t enough, with the Keystone Cops substitutions, the BYU defensive coaches literally invented a new way to embarrass the program.

I got excited when I saw this headline, and thought that there may be hope still for Sitake’s D:

‘Havoc and chaos’: How BYU is changing the way it plays, particularly with a ‘disruptive defense’

Then I clicked on it and saw it was about the basketball team…:frowning:

1 Like

I did the same thing! Not sure they have the horses to do that in bball. We’ll see.
Was at the Arkansas game. Arkansas fans were pretty happy. They were nice, but tho’ unspoken, I think there was a bit of “you have a nice little team there” - as they pat you on the head. An SEC mentality. BUT we have done nothing to disprove that notion.

If Tuiaki is still the DC, and if Kalani Sitake remains more loyal to his friend than he is to the program as a whole, we will be super lucky to be .500 in the B12. I’ve always loved Kalani as a person, but the last month of our D being just humiliated in EVERY game, Kalani saying it’s his job to fix it, and him doing NOTHING literally NOTHING to change our approach defensively has convinced me he’s probably not the guy to make BYU a top tier team in the B12.

If we were in the B12 this year, the top 5 teams would SLAUGHTER us, and we would split against the bottom 5, so call it going 2-7 in conference. And that’s with a future NFL QB Jaren Hall.

1 Like

Again, is it not Tom Holmoe job to do what is best for the football team, including telling Kalani “A permanent change at DC is needed”.

On Sports Nation with guest Dave McCann, they speculated that they would be surprised if Kalani is not calling the defensive plays in Liberty (is this just a onetime thing?)

One thing I should bring up that Dave McCann said during his interview which I will paraphrase here:
He said in the SEC, the majority of the teams that lost their games scored at least 35 points in those games.

His point is that in the current state of College Football is basically, “If they score 52 points, we need to score 53”. He went on say even Kyle Whittingham is who considered a defensive guy has changed the way that his team works. Now it is wide open throwing team.

He mentioned that Saban said, “We should have score one more time, rather than focusing on what his defense was not doing”.

Dave’s concerns were that BYU defense could not stop Arkansas just one or two times on 3rd down.

If you can watch Sports Nation from I think Tuesday, the segement with McCann is quite good.

Funny! Exactly what I’ve been saying forever. Just score more than the other team. It’s all about the offense. And to Thawk and others I’m the dummy and don’t listen to me. Ignore me. Thanks Floyd for not ignoring me even though we don’t always agree and spar some… now that doesn’t mean I don’t think the defense needs to do better. The 11 in, 11 out thing is peewee football nonsense and showing Tuiaki is grasping for straws to keep his job.

bite your tongue. say it ain’t so.

floyd
“Whatever the case was, it wasn’t good. When you’re in those types of games, it’s really difficult. It’s nice to have a catch-all to back up, to regroup. You may be bleeding a little bit, but you’re giving your players an opportunity to keep everything in front, to rally and tackle. I thought that sitting in a drop-eight would give us an opportunity to do that.”

The skunk cannot get rid of the 3-8 stripe. We are stuck until Sitake fires his cousin.
we went from 48 to 98 on defensive rating in just 2 games. Arkansas has a very good offense but ND… they are dismal on offense and yet Tuiaki found a way to get them as many 3rd downs as they wanted.

I would be very happy with some well-timed blitzing. With the talent we have on O, why not go to the ol Edwards years of simply out scoring the other team. We have the horses, would make for a fun to watch game.

Whit got LUCKY, he could not attract top QB talent because of the way the robs the O to provide the D with the best talent. His QB had his own vision fo what UTah could do and the rest is history. Kind of like how we found Algieres…he found us, we did not find him.

[quote=“tlarimer, post:50, topic:9523”]
D:

‘Havoc and chaos’:
[/quote
BYU scared liberty so bad they ran away from us and they kept running away from us all game long until they scored like 10 touchdowns