Attended the Women's Basketball Game Last Night

I was surprised when I looked at the roster and noticed the team has one senior and the rest are freshmen and sophomores. Then again, I’m positive the roster is counting the COVID exemption because Lauren Gustin is listed as a sophomore, and I’m sure she’s at least a junior.

I took my youngest (age 11) daughter to the game, and I returned to the realization of how sporting events can create some of the best family memories. I think back on attending various Holiday Bowls with my dad and brother, including the Miracle Bowl. I wanted to leave after Eric Dickerson’s 42-yard run made the score 45-25 with four minutes left. My dad said absolutely not. We said, BYU won, and I learned a very important lesson: Never give up. Always try your best no matter how bleak the situation. Thanks, Dad.

Anyway, insofar as last night’s name, the Cougars won by nine, though I didn’t feel real comfortable that BYU had the win sealed until the final minute. Scrappy team. Gustin is great. My daughter and I sat on the second row behind the BYU bench. I was surrounded by dozens of people from Burley who had come to support the Cougars and former Burley High School coach Amber Whiting. I met Trent and Amari Whiting for the first time and we talked for a bit. Trent seems very personable. The women’s team has had a tough beginning to the season but recent signed a great recruiting class, including 4-star Amari