Big 12 to keep tournament in Kansas

Western schools like Utah are joining, but Big 12 basketball tournaments will remain in Kansas City through 2031 – Deseret News

Code word: Keep the cash cow happy.

Of course.

What are you going to do for a team that has not only been the darling of the league for the past who knows how many years but has a huge following that will go to the tournament and fill the arena every year. Yes, BYU will get a good number of fans there in the coming years, but not like Kansas will.

They are the Gonzaga of the Big 12 and with Texas and Oklahoma leaving it will be more obvious. They were mediocre this season and still had 2 guys on the first team all league. I don’t think they get the preferential treatment as much this season because they were so average and the league has better officials than the WCC did but we will see in the years to come.

Wilt Chamberlain went to Kansas. A one and done to the Harlem Globetrotters. Storybook past.

Not to be picky but the Kansas City’s T-Mobile Center is located on the Missouri side of Kansas City, Not the Kansas side.

But yeah, it is almost like a home game for both Kansas and Kansas State. I would like to see the “really old days” come back where the tournament was held at the Universities. Pipe dream, I know, but would like to see it non the less.

I would like to see an end to conference post season tournaments. They only benefit bubble teams and sometimes a tailender that gets hot at the right time. Eighteen conference games should be enough to show the true mettle of a team. It won’t happen because it makes money for the conferences.

The conference tournaments yearly rob more worthy teams of NCAA bids because of upsets by teams who would have no chance at making the field based on the regular season.

1 Like