BSU, why we won, implications

1- BYU’s win took the BYU Playoff chances from 10%-25% and on a whole new level nationally.

2- BSU’s lose at home 51-17 was the greatest loss in Decades. You just don’t do that to BSU.

3-People are saying, "Yeah, but: BSU was playing with it’s 3rd string QB…last I checked, QBs don’t play defense (refer back to #2). Cade Fennegan, Dallas Tx, LDS

4- Wilson was a surgeon out there, 359 and 2 TDs, The Pau TD was considered a lateral.

5- Romney and Milne just don’t drop balls! Ronmey gets 133 on 6 balls but Milne averages a whooping 33 ypc on 3 balls.

6- Rex is a big time TE, sheds small DBs like clingy cockleburs. And Pau’u had his breakout game with 5 big catches.

7- BYU rarely had to blitz, Tonga and CO. completely controlled the line and harassed their freshman QB. We also held BSU to 61 rushing yards, also a new BSU record low. (their backs were averaging 5.8 ypc) they got 2.3 ypc. Van Burren, RB had 16 carries for a whooping 45 yards.

8- BYU totally shackled their NFL threat, Shakir outside of the 58 yd TD (Mandell brainfart) Take away that one play and Shakir was well under 100 yds on 10 receptions, He was their only offensive weapon all game long.

9- Allgeier ran wild on BSU, 123 on 14 carries and 2 TDs…Katoa was working on a 100 yd game til his injury. Any news on the sprain?

10- No weaknesses on BYU, 8-0., should be NY’s bound but will the mighty CFR allow it?

Most it done in the second half only.

This is what Kalani wants, people to step up when a player goes down (Bushman in this case).

Part of game strategy is to have two different approaches from the first half to the second half hoping not to get blown out in the first half. Same in basketball.

I listen to Kalani on the post game, he mentioned that at half time the players were already talking about what they were not doing in the first half and how to fix it. Then the assistant coaches talked with the players and came up with a plan to carry it out.

All Kalani part was saying “we have a plan, let’s go execute it”… I think this team is “special” in regards of how they work together.

Mindset of the players has a lot to do with byu’s success. Kalani and the coaching staff are absolutely terrific in this area. They get the players psyched up and excited to play in contrast to the Bronco years when players were psyched out, dropping passes and had a divided locker room… No divisions in this team. Fantastic.

Doesn’t hurt to have, arguably, the best o-line in byu history either. Boise just couldn’t hang. Man that o-line is deep.

O line.
D line.
Ballgame.

Both lines could not have been better. Especially in the second half. On D, Tonga was simply amazing. He DESTROYED the center and would routinely take the double team and put them into the backfield. On O, props to Mateos who made assignment adjustments at halftime to solidify our protection and Zach had ALL DAY to throw, which is in part how he was able to go something like 10-12 for 250 in the second half.

Players were probably talking at halftime about the 1 million BYU fans who texted “WHAT THE HE$$ WAS THAT?!?!?!?!” at exactly the same time after watching the last minute of the first half, after an AMAZING play by Tonga, when Wilson first took a really stupid sack, then ran off 30 seconds, first thinking he could spike it (alas it was 4th down), then Kalani froze instead of getting the FG team on the field, then Wilson inexplicably threw a pass that had no chance of scoring with no time left.

Of course all’s well that ends well in football.

Both lines dominated, which is fascinating to me as BSU destroyed USU and Airforce the two weeks before. BYU made BSU look like a one horse pony. You take Shakir out of the game and BSU would have less then 100 total yds.

Katoa looks to have a high ankle sprain. 2-6 weeks.

1- BYU’s win took the BYU Playoff chances from 10%-25% and on a whole new level nationally.
LOVE THE NATIONAL ATTENTION. CALL HOLMOE AND TELL HIM TO LEARN FROM BSU THAT GOING 11-2 WITH A COUPLE REALLY GOOD WINS AND LOVE FOR BYU FROM THE NATIONAL MEDIA IS BETTER THAN GOING 7-6 WITH 20K EMPTY IN LES AND MEDIA CRICKETS.

2- BSU’s lose at home 51-17 was the greatest loss in Decades. You just don’t do that to BSU.
NO YOU DON’T. THIS WAS BYU’S BEST PLAYED GAME IN MAYBE FOREVER. BSU IS A FIRST RATE PROGRAM. THE BSU PLAYERS AND COACHES WERE GRACIOUS IN DEFEAT AND WILL CIRCLE THIS GAME NEXT YEAR.

3-People are saying, "Yeah, but: BSU was playing with it’s 3rd string QB…last I checked, QBs don’t play defense (refer back to #2). Cade Fennegan, Dallas Tx, LDS
YOU KNOW WHO IS NOT USING THAT EXCUSE? BRIAN HARSIN AND THE BSU PLAYERS! THEY KNOW WHAT THEY SAW AND KNOW IT DIDN’T MATTER WHO WAS AT QB.

4- Wilson was a surgeon out there, 359 and 2 TDs, The Pau TD was considered a lateral.
HIS ACCURACY IN THE SECOND HALF WAS SIMPLY EXTRAORDINARY, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING ALMOST NONE WERE CHECK DOWNS OR DIG ROUTES.

5- Romney and Milne just don’t drop balls! Ronmey gets 133 on 6 balls but Milne averages a whooping 33 ypc on 3 balls.
ROMNEY HOLDING ON TO THAT PASS AT THE GOAL LINE WAS SOMETHING ELSE. BOTH THOSE KIDS HAVE EXTREMELY STRONG HANDS AND OUTSTANDING BALL CATCHING TECHNIQUE.

6- Rex is a big time TE, sheds small DBs like clingy cockleburs. And Pau’u had his breakout game with 5 big catches.
REX WILL FILL OUT AND LOOK LIKE BUSHMAN IN A YEAR OR TWO. NFL PROSPECT IF HE GETS STRONGER. GOOD FOR PAU’U–HE’S TAKEN THE LONG WAY AND I’M HAPPY FOR HIS SUCCESS.

7- BYU rarely had to blitz, Tonga and CO. completely controlled the line and harassed their freshman QB. We also held BSU to 61 rushing yards, also a new BSU record low. (their backs were averaging 5.8 ypc) they got 2.3 ypc. Van Burren, RB had 16 carries for a whooping 45 yards.
NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE HOW DOMINATING TONGA WAS. MAN AMONG BOYS. BSU CENTER WILL HAVE NIGHTMARES FOR YEARS. MAYBE JOIN A SUPPORT GROUP WITH THE WESTERN KENTUCKY AND HOUSTON CENTERS. AND YOU KNOW I’M TUIAKI’S BIGGEST CRITIC, BUT COMING OUT IN THE 4-3 THIS GAME INSTEAD OF OUR PATHETIC 3-4 MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. THEY HAD TO DOUBLE TONGA AND DAWE, WHICH LEFT THAT SUMMERS KID TO MAKE A COUPLE BIG PLAYS EARLY AND IT REALLY SET THE TONE.

8- BYU totally shackled their NFL threat, Shakir outside of the 58 yd TD (Mandell brainfart) Take away that one play and Shakir was well under 100 yds on 10 receptions, He was their only offensive weapon all game long.
NOTE THAT WARNER WAS OUT WHEN THEY SCORED THOSE TWO TDS. KAPISI WAS WAY LATE AND WAY OVERMATCHED. HOW GOOD IS WILCOX? ANOTHER POTENTIAL NFL GUY. CREDIT TO JERNARO GUILFORD (DB COACH). WE HAVE NEVER BEEN DEEPER OR MORE ATHLETIC AT DB AND IT’S 100000% DUE TO JERNARO’S AWESOME RECRUITING.

9- Allgeier ran wild on BSU, 123 on 14 carries and 2 TDs…Katoa was working on a 100 yd game til his injury. Any news on the sprain?
LOOK FOR ALLGEIER TO BE PLAYING ON SUNDAYS. NFL SIZE, SPEED, EXPLOSION, AND IS A SUPER HIGH CHARACTER KID.
10- No weaknesses on BYU, 8-0., should be NY’s bound but will the mighty CFR allow it?
I THINK WE GET THE NY 12 GAME FOR SURE NOW. NOT THE PLAYOFF, AND IMHO WE WOULD NEED MORE GOOD WINS TO DESERVE THE PLAYOFF ANYWAY.

Well that was fun to have a few minutes to reflect on an amazing game played by BYU!!

And thanks for the follow up… Just how crazy is this year. The football is just stellar and then we get Pope.

In today’s political climate I dont think it is possible.

Fish - KSL sports reported last night that USU football is looking for a new head coach and Jeff Grimes was One of them.
So what kind of pay that USU would offer him? I’d like to see phim stay at BYU but he more likely to go back to SEC

I doubt he would leave right now… He has a better future than USU.

Grimes stays at BYU or goes back to the south. I don’t see a chance in a million he goes to Logan.

Agree Chris. The D-line is just as talented. In fact we might look back and realize this is the best defensive line ever. Certainly the deepest. Some of these guys coming off the bench look as good, if not better, than the starters! Great looking bunch.

Khyiris Tonga is a true beast. It’s taking 2 or 3 guys to block him giving byu a massive luxury. Having Tonga in the middle allows the defense to rush 3 guys and still get solid pressure. He’s incredible, and a Huge reason why byu’s defensive schemes are so successful… no coincidence that the only games that were close this year are the games he did not participate in.

My guess if they stay in State would be Jay Hill at Weber State.

The guy has turned that program around where now it is on the national scene for FCS schools, I think last year they ranked like #2 in the country.

Grimes may take it to get experience, but I am not sure he would do that.

His backup isn’t too bad either Mahe (sp?) has done a good job giving Tonga a breather.

Tonga is at another level in every one of the games he’s played. It’s perversely ironic that Zach Wilson is in the conversation for the Heisman, awarded to the “best player” in D1 football, and yet to me he’s not even the best player on his own team. Let me add this about Tonga: I haven’t met Khyiris, but my family and I have some close contacts to the program, and I am told by those who know him very well that Khyiris may is one of the nicest, most humble, most generous, classy guys to ever come through the program–high praise for a program that has seen a LOT of very good young men come through.

Saw that, Kalani said we would not hold any of his assistants back from applying. Utah State is in disarray right now. Grimes would be best served to win at BYU then get in a P5 offer.

I think the same thing, I believe Aaron Roderick is also on the list.