Colo St and BYU have not played much since their MWC days. This will be Colo St’s bowl game and they will be up for maybe their highest ranked game ever. (can’t find how high WY was ranked when Josh Allan was the QB)
Scouting report:
Far and away, the MVP of Colo St is their QB, Huass Hajny. He is a duel threat QB in the same mold as Fifita, who we just schemed for, so in a way, thank you Az.
1 He has solid RBs and WRs so while this will be a blowout, the important points here are that BYU will be playing on the road, a good turnup for next weeks’ TCU game.
2 the game will be a night game, favors BYU and most games will be over so plenty of polsters will catch this game and get a 1st hand glimpse of BYU.
3 stay healthy because the season is about to get real with TCU, ISU (who should of beat Iowa at home) and ND in the wings.
BYU can score 50 but will Sitake take the starters out early. I think so and we get a good dose of Bourguet.
things I would like to see in this tune up road game:
1 I would like to see BYU sling the ball a lot to get game time synchronicity between Bear and primary receivers and our TEs
We need to get started with the run game. It makes it easier to sling the ball. Not sure why you think CU will be easy. It’s an away game and they still are a decent team on the offense. Too early to be overly confident. Just keep winning.
I thought they had a good amount of Martin running, the issue i had was most of the time it was up the middle, which he got stuffed because the Oline didnt open holes.
It’s Colorado state from the new Pack 12/old MWC. They have maybe one 4 star on their team, maybe. They played SUU this past week and scored 58 but they also allowed SUU to score 24. Very porous Defense, having played two poor teams, they are about to run into bigger faster stronger, more talented better coached. As I said, this will be a good road game to tune up for TCU, a team that could ruin our season. This coaching staff will never let them come in unprepared as Michigan was, you don’t think Sitake and every D1 coach in America hasn’t addressed his team about overlooking a team?
BYU will play their game of ball control with the rush but I want to see some long strikes to our far taller recievers. Arizona’s DBs were 6’ tall, our WOs go Kasper 6’5, Jojo 6’4, Legend 6’2 and a freak speedster. The 1st play of the game, I would line up Kasper on the left, Legend on the right both with go routes, if Legend is even with his guy, heave it up, he will go get it, done deal.
Forecast in Ft Collins this week is partly rainy all week including Friday. Hope it doesn’t rain enough to make the field too wet and especially not during the game. BYU is a 21 pt favorite, but that’s always tricky because you know if we are ahead in the 4th Kalani will shut it down. That said I think we win by more than 21 because I’ll be shocked if they can slow our offense.
Trivia #1: I picked BYU over AZ 31-20 and had the spread dead on. I want to say BYU over CSU 41-13 but need a few days to think about it. It’s tough to score over 40 when Kalani doesn’t really want to score that many points.
Trivia #2: Ft Collins is in Larimer County, named for my great great grandfather General William Larimer who founded Denver. Also see Larimer Street and Larimer Square in downtown Denver.
The irony, If BYU’s D had not locked down Az and Az scores once in the 2nd, BYU would have had to score one more time rather than sit on the ball, the final would of been 35-24, one point off my prediction.
I do think that BYU gets to 40+ in Ft Collins. CSU has a good dual-purpose QB, so I give them 10 points and one score for a home game, 41-17.
I agree with you. He doesn’t have to run up the middle every time either. The OL needs to work harder this week. Martin did not touch the ball enough. He needs 20 to 30 touches per game.
LJ had 16 carries in the 2nd half, and we all loved seeing that. LJ was feasting on the edges against Arizona, but you are right that he struggled in the A and B gaps. I think it was because Arizona brought pressure on almost every play, and those blitzers stuff the inside gaps but leave the D exposed on the edges.
I’m not and never have been Arod’s biggest fan, but I’ll compliment him on the way he used the speed option a number of times–with considerable success–to neutralize the Arizona pressure. He was smart in the 2nd half to realize that if the Cats are bringing heat in the A,B, and C gaps on every play, the speed option leaves one dude out there on a dangerous island.
Martin had 22 touches against Az. He had 20 carries and 2 receptions. Part of the reason he didn’t touch the ball enough the first half is because BYU didn’t have the ball much and several times they got behind the chains due to penalties.
Maybe if he had carried the ball more we would have had the gall longer in the 1st half. That’s our point. And, Arod has to realize quicker if the A, B and C gaps are going to be open sooner than waiting until the 2nd half.
Btw - been to WVU many times for business. Natural gas drilling and production booming and has really strengthened the economy. Don’t know if you’ve visited Charleston (with it’s golden dome capital building) but it is a really nice town and West Virginians are extremely nice people.