BYU getting pounded by West Virginia

Actually the announcers got that one wrong. They mistook WV’s total offense number for the rushing offense number. They corrected the number later but didn’t correct the incorrect record reference.

Thanks
It did seem very high
Didn’t hear the correction

Kalani will keep his job. Who’s going to take it? It’s a matter of now being able to recruit as a member of the Big12. Did Witt get fired his first year in the PAC12?
By the way, 3 fingers are pointing back at you. Shame on you for bearing false witness.

We got beat up front on both sides of the ball. DL is decimated by injuries. No Mangelson, no Nelson, no Dawe, no Daley. Batty, Bagnah, Cravens and Mahe were gassed by the 2nd quarter and were backed up by guys like Mitchell, who hasn’t played at all before.OL had Etienne at guard, which means both Maile and Fitzgerald were out. And Even Kingsley S, the Athletic freak, was throwing marador blocks at the DEs. Sad.

There was a lot of fans who wanted him gone to the point of having a “FireWhittingham” board.

Scott, there are multiple people on this board including your friend Jim that has stated the exact same thing about you and how you post. There is no “False Witness” going on, but actual FACTS being presented. You may not like the truth, but you cannot change the truth either.

and thus my comment about Kalani tenure, this is just not a single game or season issue, but BYU has been going downhill for several years. If it was not for the pandemic, who knows if Kalani would still be coach.

To Kalani credit (or maybe he was forced too, who knows) he got rid of his friend the DC and brought in Hill. what was left in the cupboard was pretty bare.

No surprises in this game except I thought the defense would play better against the run. Retzleff seems to be the future qb for the next couple of years. Good mobility and able to throw on the move. Offensive line is still abysmal. BYU is going to have to take a good look at Funk and see if they can upgrade in the coaching area. I’m predicting a good game next week and if, by miracle, BYU comes ready to play in the trenches, a possible win

Yes, and how smart were those “fire Witt” fans? Sitaki has a long leash to bring in players for this P5 conference. For you and others to start the chant to fire Sitaki, who has sent a lot of players to the NFL, is childish and ridiculous.
Why not let the guy figure me out on his own? Why do you and the other child, Thawk, have to say anything? Stick to the topic and simply offer your opinions and let the rest of us offer ours. I don’t have to agree with yours and you don’t have to agree with mine. Give your rebuttals and I’ll give mine.

It will take a few years to recruit more P5 players who can take more hits and keep on going. Of the new teams in the Big 12, who has a winning record? BYU and who?
Now, at the end, we will be 6-6 or 5-7. Go Cross Country!

Agree. Retzleff is better than I thought he would be. The first couple throws were tentative and weak. But after that, he zipped it in on lines. Now, if our receivers would stop hearing footsteps.

The OC will have to go. It’s not the preparation much as the play calling. I can only remember the one swing pitch to Robbins for the touchdown. With a mobile QB, should be a lot more of that to confuse the defense. A triple option should be used. Not exclusively but should be used the next game.

Never said that Scott, I said “Not sure Kalani keeps his job” because I have seen how Cougar Club members can be when BYU looks like a joke on the field.

Just trying to help a fellow cougar fan avoid the “Grasshopper Trap.”

There is No Grasshopper trap. It’s all between your guy’s ears. Made up so as to help you overcome not looking so ridiculous sometimes. Are you a Cougar Club member?

once you said this “I don’t have time to explain football” it told me everything I needed to know.

so what the heck have we been doing for the last two years? Everyone knew we were going into the BIG12. With the way we had to go to the transfer portal this year it tells me that our recruiting has sucked.

Remember that at BYU, recruits don’t all go right into the program. At least half go on missions. I believe we have recruited well but won’t see it for another couple of years when they return and get back into shape. Now, with that said, the play calling is really frustrating. The OC has a very short leash. I expect a change there.

See, it’s possible to have good exchange of ideas in here. Even with me.

so if your argument is going to past the smell test with me, I have to assume that this whole mission thing is new and we are trying to figure it out. But no it has always been that way so why is it an excuse now. Also that is how things were in the 80s and 90s but things have changed drastically. in the past we could go out and grab a LDS kid that was good and coach them up to be good in the WAC or MW. Now we have to get good players that can play in the BIG12 and there isn’t enough good LDS players to do that. in fact Bronco acknowledged this after they went independent so the landscape has been changing sense then. proof of this was the fact that Retzlaff is Jewish. so to sum it all up this excuse would only work if Kalani was a new coach and it was 20 years ago.

Look guys-it’s the first year in the Big 12. It should get better in 3 years. Sitake isn’t a bad fit for this program. It is the people he hires who will dictate how well things move along. BYU is hampered a bit by being somewhat slow to pay the price for top-notch assistants. They need to find young creative geniuses and then pay them to stay. Many predicted a one or two win year this year but BYU could actually make a bowl game. Yes work to be done-but hang on and try and enjoy the ride

I follow your logic. However, the Big12 invite was unexpected and very new. So, what we did in the past won’t work for the upgrade to the P5 level. Utah found this out as well. They too have lots of LDS kids who go on missions. Witt had to prove he could recruit the 4 and 5 kids for defense lines as well as for the offense. We recruit excellent skill position players and still do. It’s the depth that we have to develop. So, the question is if Sitaki can do what Witt did and recruit.

The size of the Church has grown a lot since the 70’s and 80’s. There are way more LDS kids to recruit from now. But, most are expected to serve a mission. So, because the Big12 is new, it will take 4 or 5 years for LDS recruits to revolve into the system. The question is how many non-members that are willing to live our lifestyle can we get that are 4-5 star linemen and defense?

The OC and DC coaching makes a big difference. And, we have to be able to pay them. However, we all would like to have Grimes back. But how are they doing this year? The players really make the difference if they can work with the coaches and other players. The Barrington brothers apparently haven’t helped Grimes.

Even my WV friends were texting me: What’s up with BYU, They didn’t show up. Prime time game and they look abysmal. Thank goodness I was on a killer river with hungry trout and did not have to suffer through this S__T Show. Time to fire a few coaches.

Fernk, You just got Hoppered. The Hopper spent all October arguing that Puca Nacua was not good enough to start for LA. He keeps a running argument with everyone on Cougarfan. You have been warned…but …Welcome to the board (from the rest of us).

And we don’t have time to listen to your baloney. hahahaha. BYU stepped off the plane, that’s about the only thing they did right in W. Virginia.

here’s the problem, Hopper. When anyone argues on this board, they do it with respect… You Hopper personalize an argument, by name calling or worse, talking down to that person. 1st rule of: don’t EVER say something in cyberspace that you wouldn’t say to that person’s face.

Retzlaff played his freshman season at Golden West (California) College, and his sophomore season at Riverside (California) City College, where he was ranked the No. 1 junior college QB in the country in ESPN’s Junior College 50, and the No. 46 player overall.

Retzlaff is of the Jewish faith and has described himself as the “BY-Jew” on several occasions.

BYU offensive coordinator Aaron Roderick has said that Retzlaff was unquestionably the best junior college QB in the country last year. He completed 312 of 493 passes for 4,596 yards and 44 touchdowns with an efficiency rating of 165.4 in 2022.

“I feel very comfortable. I feel like I can go out there and play, and run our offense very effectively,” he told ESPN 960 Sports on Tuesday. “I feel like I can do anything (coaches) ask me to do.”

Retzlaff can play in BYU’s final four games, and a bowl game, if the Cougars get into one, and not lose his redshirt year, per relatively new NCAA redshirt rules.
(Per DNews)

Me: 5000 yards and 50 TDs in a Single year. Get a new Oline coach that can get these linemen protecting Retzlaff and BYU will play plently well in the high scoring Big 12!

BTW: 3 BYU QBs played this week in the NFL. Wilson, Hall, Hill… Go Cougs

1 Like

Of course that isn’t true. Thawk and others do the name calling first. And, it’s every time. The proof is in all the posts here. You just did it in fact. Not a name but an idea that is similar. How about just giving opinion and allowing others to do likewise. We can reject an opinion. No problem.