BYU... in the wcc but not in Gonzaga's league

Not sure fans have much say in the matter… I think the BOT will do whatever they want regardless of what “Fans” think…

Floyd: Point #4 is the big issue, IMO. I’ve been thinking that over for many years; academic standards, Honor code, unpopular LDS school, etc. I don’t have any inside info. Chris and my brother Tom have excellent sources.

Big picture, I think our football program isn’t that far off from where we can be. Basketball? That’s another story. It’s been a very disappointing season.

Thanks Craig,
Like I said, this was a talking point on sports radio… Not saying it 100 percent accurate, but it is food for thought.

Lol!!! I do have faith in our basketball team. I had to drop Slingtv because I can’t see much of what is goin on where I only see some shadow w/o a ball. Those ESPN comentors don’t do play by play of what is going on in the game. I am better off still listening to KSL Radio and BYUtv and BYU Radio. ESPN guys talk too much about other stuff that I only want to know what is going on in my team.

I am rootting for younger players to get more playing time and ignore some vet players who are not producing.

I thought it was very obvious that Childs was doing what he was coached to do: Get an entry pass near the block, and wait…and wait…and wait…for the double team, and then pass it out to the unguarded guy. That worked great when big Baxter was cutting down the lane. Didn’t work so hot when you pass to grounded guys standing around watching. I’m not even sure we have an offense right now other than Haws off the dribble, Yo iso, or Baxter getting garbage lobs.

I also complain about the announcers not broadcasting the game and talking about other stuff.

Not much screens except Yolie 30 feet from the basket. I’m sure the coaches will see the same thing. It wasn’t so glaring against lesser talented and coaches teams. But was a problem against GU.

Agreed. BYU had one of the top recruiting years in the nation back in Haws, Mika, and Emery and then they added Childs. So people can’t tell me they aren’t getting talent. The have actually lost more talent due to transfers or leaving early. Rose hasn’t developed these players like they should have been and he has disenfranchised others that were even better. Baxter and Harding have obvious talent, so let’s see how they develop. Dastrup had talent-another transfer. Let’s see how he does. We already know about Chatman and FB4. COMPLAINING? The isn’t about one game, this is about a body of work over the last five years that has progressively gone down hill. Somewhere somehow you have to stop the bleeding and move on if not we all need to be happy with mediocrity and avoid cougarfan like the plague. I understand where NC is coming from-but this is just getting uglier by the year, not only in performance but in attitudes

Neither do the BYUtv announcers do much of play by play. This is the modus operendi in the 21st century.
Officials rarely point out who fouls any one too.

When are we going to get out of this rec league? Tom Holmoe and I too are looking forward to 2024-2025 when TV deal comes around for P5 Leauges. Will they form a Power 4 groups with major shakeups and adding some G5 along with BYU? Again, hard to tell and I will just not think about it for now. And put up with this ill feelingg of wcc men’s basketball. Sure hope Dave Rose move on soon. All other sports are doing pretty good. BYU Football Ind., I am fine for now for another up to 5 years from now.

This. That is generally all we see out there. The game plan isn’t working and there is no alternate game plan in place when it doesn’t work. That is a problem for a major D-1 program. I think the biggest problem is that the assistant coaches either don’t know what to do or they are offering suggestions and ideas that fall on deaf ears. I also don’t think the graduate assistants are doing much of anything and I see that continuing in the foreseeable future.

This program is in desperate need of change… of any kind.

The only players that seem to shoot midrange shots are Haws and sometimes Childs. What happened to the jump stop and shoot 16-20 footers? Fred Roberts, Devin Duran, Danny Ainge… shooting 36% will never win a game. Run an offense that gets players open for something besides 3’s and dunks.

It is a different game than the one that was played 40 years ago. Haws does that because he can create shots, draw fouls and has a varied game. I am changing my perspective on him. He hasn’t been so cocky lately and is working harder to improve the team. I think it is a lost cause but at least he is trying. Yoeli looks like he is biding his time before he can jump to the pros, wherever that might be (not the nba).

The recruiting has been mediocre, the decisions of how to develop players and who sees the floor most have been poor IMO. This team is going nowhere, though they had the talent and potential to do otherwise.

I dunno… not that fun to watch, especially losing at home by 30.

You mean Luke Worthington? Yeah, that is for sure. Imagine he would tell his players never to dunk and do silly hook shot?

Well, last night Baxter “figured it out,” He played perhaps the best game for this BYU sqaud of the year.
Emery looked somewhat like his old self. Yoeli played perhaps his worst game of the year. Second place is still on the line. We shall see what will happen.

Back to Floyd’s six questions……#3 is a biggie. No big time recruit will playin High School gyms. period. and #4 I will have to do a little more research but I think that BYU ALLOWS lower grades for special players. There are minimums but I think we do allow X amount of players with lower grades.
Far and away, BYU has declined because of one thing…Coach Rose. HE DOES NOT RECRUIT outside of UT County. We have been full of Mr Bball types. Rose loves loves those shooters but if you don’t bring in athletes, 6’5 to 6’7, guys who will bang and chase rebounds, then all the slow white guys in the world will not win you games.

A perfect example is last night. Baxter got how many put backs, blocks and ally opps??? He is the single reason why BYU pulled away after the half. Otherwise we would have more of the 1st half. Bricked 3s and doubles on Childs.

Neil has a right to his opinion, I get that. But no one can tell me that BYU is looking very far for recruits. Coach Hecker has told BYU about recruits and BYU does nothing…Did you know that I have been to Senegal to do camps with the coach? It is not all about the fishing, hahaha, we do work with NBA talent and we point the kids toward colleges so that they will develop and get noticed by the NBA.

What BYU is really faced with is…poor shooters surrounding Childs. If you double Childs and he kicks it out to say, Cannon or Seljaas, and they miss 4 straight shots, as was the case against LMU, you are going to post a 21 point half. In the second, Emery hit 4 straight 3s and Baxter went all world so BYU blew LMU out of the Marriott. Emery went 5-5 and Baxter went 2-3 on 3s, take that away and the rest of the team went 0-12 from 3land.

Thank you Jim, you are a smart man. Haws has been our only guard who can his a 3 when we needed one. Haws has been our only penetrator and when you have a team that can’t hit an outside shot to save their lives, defenses can sag on Childs all they want so it makes Haws even more valuable.

BYU basketball is in bad bad shape. We have no shooters and one skinny penetrator. Had Baxter not come along I seriously doubt that we would win another game all year.