BYU is not a mid major

Ron, don’t have any interest in bad mouthing you. The way you write - to me - sounds like you really believe that if you get all the fans on this site or all the BYU fans on the planet thinking your way then we will arrive at the top of the CF heap. ALL of us, every single one of us can believe, with tremendous passion, all that you write about and do all in our power to make it happen and it still will not change our fortunes. Is it possible for us to become a member of a P5 conference or become the stature of ND, sure it is. Is it likely? NO! As far a my fantasies go: BYU is at the pinnacle of a super conference, making $500 million per year and winning every national championship for 100 consecutive years and we have to exclude most teams from our schedule because EVERY university FB team in the nation demands that we play them. As a result, in 30 years, every person on the planet is a member of the church. Now that is fantasy and I know it. My only issue with you Ron is that I am not sure that what you desire / demand, you know also is fantasy. But I like your passion and desire for dialogue. And for those reasons, I’m out.

Roy: You seem to interpret Ron’s words like KC looks at social issues. The only chance we have is another volcanic eruption of the P-5 conferences and playing as many P-5 teams as we can. I do believe in what Ron says. It is about our only chance for P-5 for the foreseeable future.

rbblack,
Are you also KC black. Your reasoning sounds the same as each other.

"Here is the bottom line, BYU will be invited to a P5 conference if and when they start to force the P5 to give up some of their money.”

This, which I quote from you above, is the nonsense that I have been talking about over, and over, and over again. You just don’t get it.

We can not force our way into the P5 conferences. We have to earn our way into the P5 conferences, We can not force them to share their earned money with us. We must earn the right to have them share their money with us when we earn the right to be invited into their P5 conference,

Does anyone doubt, that ND could be invited even today, into any P5 conference that they would choose? Of course they would be, because they made themselves valuable to any P5 conference that would want them. They paid their dues. They suffered the growing pains, They made all the sacrafices. They earned their way.

We must do the same. No, we are not ND, and without the required work, we will never come close. We want something for nothing and it just isn’t going to happen unless we earn it. I told you above in other post, what I believe that we must do in order to earn it. Check out all post above with the R.

Not a reply. I would just like to comment on the title of this section.
“BYU is not a mid major.”

We are caught somewhere in the middle of a mid major and a P5 team.
We are caught between being a Group of 5 and a Power 5 conference team.

Like ND an Independent, considered a P5 team for programing purposes, to fit the needs of the P5 conference teams for scheduling, we also fit into that category.

When compared to ND and the TV money contract with NBC, we don’t come close. Like all other P5 teams in P5 conferences making between 20 and 28 million, with the average making $25 Million per team, our ESPN contract os $10, Million, does not come close.

With Independent ND being eligible for a P4 play off, we are not.
For Mid major conferences, the group of five, they are even eligible for an outside chance of getting into a P4 play off, but we are not.

So if we are not a mid major, what are we? A fish out of water? Perhaps!

It is my opinion that if we do not do, what our AD and our HC says that we must do, within approximately 3 years, we just might end up going the route of the Group of Five Alabama just did this past week and quit football. On the other hand, if we make the necessary sacrifices that I have been talking about and make our selves ready, perhaps we can make it within the next three years and not only survive, but excell. I would hate to be the administration that lets BYU Football die, because we were not up to making the necessary adjustments to let BYU Football thrive.

No, I am not KCblack. To my knowledge I am not related to KCblack. I simply think that the P5 is an will always be about money. If BYU breaks into the bowl games and thus takes money that would otherwise go to P5 teams and does it regularly enough, they will be invited to a P5 league. There may be other paths, but that path will get them there.

Roy,

Read again, my first article on this page to Fish.
Read my second article on this page to Txcoug. (most important)
Read my third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, & eighth articles on this page, all
of which were to you Roy.
Read my nineth & 10th article to rblack on this page.

While second said artice to Tx is outlined in great detail, the other said articles are justification for that said #2 article.

If you read again, you will see that what I want for our Cougars, and why I want it, is very, very clear.

RbBlack,

Thank you for your reply. We all agree that college football today is all about money. Mid major conferences gets close to $1 million each per team. BYU as an Independent, that has not yet fully paid their dues, gets
$8-10 million from ESPN. Notre Dame, that other Independent Religious school, that has already paid it’s dues in full, gets paid about the same as a P5 conference team. The P5 conference teams each get paid and average of $25 Million per team per year. ($20Million to $28,000. per team). So yes, it is all about money, as you say.

Those with the most money can pay for the best coaches in the Nation, while those with the least money can hire the left over coaches.

Those with the most money, can attract the best athletes to their programs, while those with the least money get the left overs. (Yes there are always the exceptions).

Those that have a lot of money will find no hardship in paying the athletes the limit set by the NCCA, while those with the least money, may soon have to drop out of football like the group of 5 Alabama team had to do last week.

When suggestions are made to get into the P5 conferences, if is about respect. It is about being relevant.
But as you say, it is more about money than anything else.

Without the money, we can not compete against those schools with the money. Fans nation wide, want to watch teams that are relevant. They rarely watch teams that are not relevant unless they attended that school that is not relevant.