BYU out of the top 25

In both polls, BYU drops to #26. Is this fair after beating Baylor? I don’t think so. The big question is can BYU pull off an upset tomorrow at KU? BYU must beat TCU and OKS at home or we may be looking at the NIT.

The Bracket Project’s Bracket Matrix - 2024

For a bit better look at reality

If we lose the last 4 and first out in the Big 12 tournament? We need to figure out how to score when the 3’s aren’t falling. If we shot 10 fewer 3’s Saturday and was 50% from 2’s and shot fouls well. We win.

Doesn’t matter. They lost to KSU, not close. They lost to OSU, not close. They lost to Cincy at home, not close. They can only control what they can control and they aren’t controlling things very well. They play a depleted Kansas team tomorrow but that is in Lawrence. They will be lucky if they keep it within 20… another sure loss.

When BYU gets their collective heads on straight maybe they will play with the effort and energy they need to be a better than average team. I said they would do well to finish at the top of the bottom half of the conference and that is looking likely.

They don’t change their plan very much from game to game so the results won’t change much either.

Also, now that they are out of the top 25 and behind the likes of Utah State (BYU not necessarily the best team in the state of Utah) and Gonzaga, I will restate my belief that BYU would not have won the WCC this year, just like they never won it in all the years that they played in it. I don’t need to go into the details for why they wouldn’t, I’m just convinced they would finish, at best, second or likely third again. They haven’t impressed in the Big 12, they are very mediocre in a genuinely competitive conference, but I could see Utah State doing just as well and Gonzaga doing better, in this league, than BYU has.

Why do I say that? Because BYU is notorious for playing to the level of their competition and choking in close games, just like they did in the WCC. Gonzaga doesn’t do that. Also (and I don’t care what anyone else thinks or believes) they inevitably have to battle the officiating, regardless of whatever reason people like to make up, it is just a fact that they don’t get CONSISTENTLY fair and objective officiating.

You are equating the WCC with the Big12? :rofl:
Good grief!
And, it does matter since we did beat Baylor. We will beat Kansas. Watch…

Wow…

You continue to amaze me. Nobody who reads my post will draw the same ridiculous conclusion that you just did. Talking about the two conferences that BYU has played in does not mean I am equating them or saying they are comparable or similar. THEY ARE NOT!

You honestly have a hard time reading for comprehension. It’s so bad.

The correlation that can be made is that BYU will not win the Big 12. They will be lucky to finish in the top half. The other correlation that can be made is that if Gonzaga played in the Big 12 they would finish better than BYU will. Why? Because Gonzaga gives maximum effort every game and they have a better history than BYU does of beating the best teams in the nation. Yes, BYU will on occasion beat some good teams but more often than not they lose to the best teams and they lose to the lesser teams as well. They don’t have the mental fortitude to win big games or games against better teams on a consistent basis. That is their history and the history they are currently making this season.

It’s very easy to come to the conclusion that you are making the claim that because we aren’t higher up in the Big12 that somehow that equates to being worse than Gonzaga, St. Mary’s and other WCC teams. We would be close with Gonzaga and have a great opportunity to beat them twice. The other teams are much like the preseason teams that we destroyed. No, this team is much better than last year.

I’ll make this statement as others dance around the issue. Our players are not as athletic as other players in the Big12. Other players are stronger and more controlled physically than we are. They can hang in the air, draw fouls and still make baskets when we can’t. Yet, Pope has developed the offense to compete with teams in a much better league and destroy lesser teams. Our defense does better as well. If we had been in the WCC this year, we would hold most teams under 60 points a game.

I didn’t expect the defense to implode…
As I wake this morning, and look at what is coming, I will be surprised if BYU can win a single game.
Lose, to Kansas on the road…given, Kansas is the weakest they have been in years, but they still know how to play defense.
Lose to TCU–Dixon’s teams know how to play defense and this year is no exception.
OKstate the only possible win left.
Big12 Tournament not at home…color this the first loss because it will be a neutral floor where defense wins and the opponent will be one of the stronger B12 teams by seed.
Making the big dance less likely…and even if they dance…a poor seed means a B12 quality team away from home…
Yes too big picture…too gloomy…defense wins on the road…BYU has a dismal road record…it was fun while it lasted…
On a completely different note…if NIL makes a difference…Steve Ashworth and Ques Glover both a step up…Ashworth is playing well in a not to be dismissed Big East…

The doom and gloom crowd. Oh well, I predict a win tonight.

This team seems to have a severe case of Jerkel and Hyde complex. Not sure which team will show up on any given night.

But then again, I think it is the same thing for several teams this year. How can a team like Kansas or Duke go play a subpar team (last place in conference) and lose?

Such a weird year to predict what is going to happen this year.

Was that a Freudian slip “Jerkel” and Hyde? :rofl:
I’m wondering about the “parity” in college basketball and the NIL. If there is a mental issue with these young kids making all this money?

The same BYU that blew ISU and Baylor off the court at the Marriott. BYU is a very good team that almost doubled ASU in a blowout. This guys are who they are, tough to beat at home where 3s drop but inept on the road. I think both Tom and I covered that before we even played one Big 12 game.

Sure, They will fall in Lawrance Kan but then, I would not bet against them if Kansas came to Provo. Kansas was beat by just as weak teams on the road as BYU this season and Kansas is ranked #7.

I think just about everyone here would agree that BYU is now about where we thought they would be (in our wildest dreams) ranked almost all of the season but really a top 30 team. Would BYU win the WCC this year? I personally think they would of. Gonzaga is WAY Down and BYU would beat Bennett’s team every time we played them outside of Moraga.

For those that doubt BYU, They have been a lock to the big dance for about a month now. Pope has done wonders with this team at home. Again, my own perception, Pope is not a good road coach yet. I would prefer that he played inside ball on the road, rather then huck up bricks in strange gyms.

enjoy the ride. We will know everything once they play in a neutral gym for the Big 12 tourny.

If BYU does that, they will be a 6 seed or better.

I would say BYU wins both Home games and maybe one in the Big 12 tourny depending on who they draw. But you are right, What did happen to BYU’s defense? It may have to do with Pope’s substitution patterns. Wish Tom would post more about this but we are on the same page as far was giving Knell max minutes over Saunders on road games. The reason for this is…Knell has never been any kind of defender and if his shot is not falling, he is a big liability.
1 Guards win big games
2 BYU is a dismal 20% on road games from 3.

Johnson is our best defender followed by Saunders.
Waterman has upped his defensive game but also has slow legs once the guy his guards gets moving.
Robinson was lights out good early on but lately he is a lazy defender, Hall would fall somewhere behind Saunders as a defender.

So we really have two starting lineups depending on if it’s a road game or at home.
One with Knell on home games and Saunders on road games, it’s that simple.
Khalifa by far is best on home games and Foos SHOULD BE used more on road games.

I wish Pope would shift gears to this type of thinking once we are 0-5 on 3s on the road, but that is just me.

How far we get in the tournament will of course depend on how far the defense can carry us, and as in all single elimination tournaments, the matchups. The seeding will almost certainly be determined by tie breaking rules, 2024 Big 12 Basketball Tournament: Projected Standings, Bracket, and Tiebreakers (heartlandcollegesports.com).

I listened to a number of Kanas homer commentators explaining the loss. the best explanation I heard was a combination of two things…matchups…Kansas does not have the horses to play their preferred brand of defense against a team that spreads the floor like BYU. which admittedly didn’t begin to show up until the other reason came to the fore: depleted bench talent and therefore minutes. once the talented legs began to tire from playing their defence against BYU’s spread BYU began to catchup and eventually of course surpass the Jayhawks.
If/when they get their best player back they will be a very different team…But tonight as per Self, BYU was definitely the better team tonight, they played better, and deserved the win.

Unless their “best” player has a bad night too. Also, every other team has their “best player” out or not a 100% too. Weak argument. We have players playing hurt and sick all year long. This is part of the “team” game all teams play with. The what ifs. What if Marcus Adams was healthy and played all year? Depth is simply part of the game.

I thought Self’s behavior at the post game interview was horrendous! His stupid giggles and attempts to minimize BYU’s win was pathetic. BYU was able to to make scoring difficult for them. And, Kansas players elite attitude didn’t help themselves. Dickenson’s jab to Knell’s neck and chin should have had him tossed. Knell was just defending himself and knocked the guy’s arms away. That was no technical.

I have to take you to task on this statement because this is exactly what any fool has been saying all along, BYU does NOT win road games because we shoot more 3s than 2s. At home, it works but on the road, it is a curse. the Saunders for Knell switch with Foos-Hall pic and roll won that Kansas road game !!!

Now you are going to rub it in all over the posts about how BYU hit 38% from 3 in the win.
This is not the only reason why we won, not by a LONNNNNG shot. Tom and I got on the phone last night to celebrate after the win, the 1st thing out of his mouth…“BYU defended their knee caps off”

I said, Saunders in for “I can’t defend a wet papper bag” Knell and a steady diet of Foos won that game. Kansas got 20% from 3 in that game (3-15) and 2 of those 3s came in the last 2 minutes of a lost game from Timberline and Dickerson desperation shots. YES, Hopper, Waterman and Hall hit big 3s to seal the win but it was all out D from our guards and the high pic and roll Foos-Hall that won that road game in Lawrance Kansas last night.

Pope, out of Knell’s 4 fouls was forced to change and go with big time defender Saunders over Knell in the 2nd half, now maybe Pope will adapt to what we all saw. Saunders is a far better option on road games.

Looks like my wish came true.

Of course he would say that…Tom and I are still laughing. unbeknownst to the world, including BYU nation, This was going to happen to Kansas and they probably lose to @Baylor and certainly Houston.

I would have the Big 12 as
1 Houston
2 ISU
3 Baylor
4 Kansas
5 BYU
And everyone else at this point.

Now if BYU lays an egg to TCU or OStU, 3 drop a few spots.

Agree with Houston clearly better than ISU.
Agree with ISU clearly ahead of the other three you listed.

Baylor, Kansas, BYU pick your poison…all three have their good games, bad games.
Baylor and BYU clearly better offenses, Kansas clearly best defense of the three.

When BYU plays defense like they did last night, they are number three. If Kansas comes to BYU this season BYU gets a solid win, just because their home offence is clearly going to make a difference, and PAF will not be able to work its magic.

I am licking my chops for BYU Baylor on a neutral court.

No gimmes and three games left.
TCU at home is no gimme, ISU on the road is nearly as tall a challenge as Kansas: ISU is better than they were and they lost to BYU once already.
OK State…trap game…except for tournament seed on the line. Big12 tournament will make or break the Dance seed.
I think Pope said …every game from here on out is a big game…for once I completely agree with his propensetaic effusion…Great time to be a BYU Cougar fan.

1 Like

When we were losing at halftime with 31% from 3’s, I was texting with Jim. I said if we get that up to 38% that we win. Jim said he would buy me dinner if we won. Well, we shot 38% and we won. Waiting on where we are going for dinner :grin:

Lunardi had BYU as a 7 seed after the Ok St loss, now he has BYU as a #5 seed.
The tie that BYU-TTU-TCU log jam got blown up by Tx last night. now BYU can get some traction with a home gave vs. TCU.

That TCU game gets bigger by the second.

Let’s say those are the top 5. Wild to think that BYU beat 3 of the 4 top teams in our first year in the league, and hung with Houston for about 38 minutes. Pope has done a great job. Still work to do–it’s CRITICAL to get that 6 or better seed and get to start The Dance with “home” games!!

2 Likes