BYU stars in the NFL

Agree wholeheartedly. I would love for BYU to be dominant but even in their best years they never did it the way the world does it. If they can win on their own terms wonderful but never the way Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St., or even Utah (the big time wannabe) do it. I am afraid that the further the world and The Church diverge the more difficult it will be for the athletic teams to excel. I want BYU to be big time but only on BYU’s terms. They can’t compromise their standards to gain acceptance into a P5 conference. They will not pay millions to hire coaches. It won’t happen and there is no point in beating a dead horse saying the BOTs need to open the coffers and pay big money for their coaches or lower academic standards so BYU can be nationally ranked every year.

Agreed but what about Academic standards for Athletes? High School players are not known for attending class and getting straight A’s-the biggest obstacle by far in getting accepted to BYU.

How does Stanford do it?

Agreed Aro, nice post.

Because there pool of catholic athletes is much more. Same with Notre Dame. Many of USC’s great athletes in the past had to go to JC and get their grades up before playing for USC. OJ Simpson could have played at many colleges but wanted USC. So he went to JC. BYU’s standards aren’t really that difficult compared to others.

Again, is athletic prominence compatible with the mission of the Church? BYU Idaho decided no.
I think it would send the right message to the world to drop intercollegiate sports given that so few athletes qualify on the basis of academics and honor code.

Seems like the student athletes are doing well in Provo. What do you think?