BYU tidbits, I know a guy. hahaha

Some people just think they are better than they really are. Or, they are seeking something that they can be successful in. Entrepreneurs are like this. They fail several times until they finally succeed. And then they get bored and try something new.

Maybe he is getting the most out of them :star_struck:

The better ones want to grow into head coaching. No one drives them away. Letā€™s face it. We donā€™t often get the best talent in the country. Mika is the exception and he made the decision to go NBA and no one wanted him yet. He did his own self a disservice as he needed one more year.

Dastrup isnā€™t need to score as a 5. If he comes in for Childs then he needs to score. But, he is still a liability on defense as a 4. He claims himself heā€™s working hard to get better. But, once the season begins, every game is important.
The reason why Others okay ahead of him is because they play defense better than Dastrup. As I said before, Worthington is there to clog the paint and play good tough defense and score 8 to 12 a game. Because of the teams in the league play small ball he doesnā€™t play as much. With Childs, who is more talented than Dastrup, he contues to get better with a huge upside.
If Dastrup is going to play 25-30 minutes a game he must bulk up and get better on defense. It starts in practices. This is something Hawks doesnā€™t understand. Games arenā€™t practice and testing grounds for play time. This isnā€™t youth sports.

Once again you are talking nonsense. You just say stuff without thinking about it. I know so much more and see so much more than you do it isnā€™t even funny. You aspire to be at my level but cannot. I appreciate your opinions but they consistently lack depth and understanding. Iā€™m not sure you will ever get itā€¦ itā€™s probably too late in the game.

Iā€™m offering truth so that you can be set free from your endless knowledge that keeps you in bondage and frustration. My understanding on coaching is undeniable. It would serve you better to gain wisdom from me :face_with_monocle:

Not remotely close.

Schroyer Rice Pope have all gone on to Head Coaching positions.
Schroyer to solid success, not HoF level but improved over time.
Rice was a downward cycle better at recruiting the place he loved than creating the team.
Pope still new but looking good.

Nothing close to the best talent in the country.
2/3 not Mormons.
Other coaches have moved on and out not up.
Wardenburg and Nashiff come to mind.

You call that the best? Really? They will move on and coach at Duke? UCLA? Kentucky or any other really big named college? And, I may be mistaken but was I talking about coaches or players? Mika is the best talent we have had in a long time on both sides of the ball. Jimmer was a great shooter as was Haws. Neither could make it in the NBA. Iā€™m not sure if Mika wants to play in the NBA. But, he could make it there. We will see.

Sometimes I wonder what you are readingā€¦I said [quote=ā€œHarold, post:28, topic:7829ā€] Nothing close to the best talent in the country.[/quote]
I was talking coaches you were talking playersā€¦I continued with coachesā€¦Coaches recruit talent and develop it or notā€¦College basketball is much more about the coach quality than most are willing to grantā€¦

Again, we donā€™t have coaches that go on to assist or be head coaches of top 10 college basketball programs. What we do have Are coaches that take average 3 star players and win 20+ games nearly every season. So, we do develop players very well. Not all players want to stick around and compete for playing time. Chatman didnā€™t and he left.

Jim and others complain that players leave because they donā€™t get playing time. Well, we seem to get lots of players transferring in to BYU. Why is that? It only seems logical that they transfer in because they like the coaches and are willing to live up to the basic principles of the Gospel and honor code.

I actually think we do pretty well with our requirements. Donā€™t you?

Do you guys realize that when a Rose team is leading with 5 minutes to go, BYU has a 301 - 10 record. A 96% win ratio. We hear people in here say he gets outcoached. The loss to St. Maryā€™s was not the norm. Rose does win the close games and going down the stretch of a game with a lead. Tonight, we will need to shoot very well and get Landale into foul trouble.

Coaching Schmoaching. Can we stop discussing the importance of coaching in basketball? Actual coaching is about 10% of it. Recruiting is 90%. Recruiting is a huge topic that I wonā€™t delve into here. As the great Darrell Royal once said, ā€œItā€™s not the Xā€™s and Oā€™s, itā€™s the Jimmys and Joes.ā€

Anyone of us on Cougarfan (even Grasshopper!) could be the HC of the GS Warriors tomorrow and we would lead them to their 3rd NBA Championship in 4 years. Itā€™s almost all about the players.

Put the great Coach K at BYU and we would win another 2 games per year on average. Put Dave Rose at Kansas or Kentucky and those teams would continue to be awesomeā€¦unless the HC needed to compromise his integrity to be successful.

1 Like

You jest. One of us would stick our nose into the huddle and try to coachā€¦can you guess who that would be?

I would give anything to sit at the Larimer table and talk sports, now that would be fun. Good Day

I would guess average recruiting correlates well with tournament wins/championships. But I would also guess you might see wide deviations for expected versus actual wins for specific teams and coaches. In fact, Iā€™d love to see a list of coaches who out perform their 4 year average expected wins and by how much and how consistently.

Player development is probably less important than the NBA, but thatā€™s an interesting question as well.

SO Mark Few had nothing to do with Gonzaga making it to the final last season? It was all about the players on the team?

I think coaching is a lot more important at the lower levels, college and high school. The NBA is a different beast, agree with you on the Warriors thing, same with the Cavs, Lakers, Celtics, etc. They win because of the players they have.

1 Like

Disagree. The coach at the NBA level has to be able to establish the offense scheme and keep players happy that make the most money. Iā€™d say itā€™s much more difficult to coach at the NBA level.

Disagree with you. Labron James wanted to fire his coach and become a coach himself. Did anyone remember that?

So did Magic.

If people want to compare Pros with College knowing that outside of Duke or KY, most teams have a NBA player or two at most on their team, they are just plain insane.

Talent trumps Coaching. Watch when Villanova or Virginia run into SMC this year (if we could be so blessed). Athletes will destroy coaching

You just made my point. Being an NBA Coach is by far more difficult. Magic Johnson got Paul Westphal fired.
People say Jackson only won because of the players on the team. Well, back in the early 60ā€™s, the SF Warriors had the most dominating player of all time Wilt Chamberlain and couldnā€™t win. The coach has to come up with the system which great players can win with and buy into. Then, get them in the right mental state to do it.

Not sure they could stop Landale. The system also plays into wins and losses. Winning obviously requires talent. But talent alone doesnā€™t produce wins. The players have to buy into the program and the system. Then, work hard like Jordan did like Kobe did. A winning attitude is just as important. The coach can help there. Jackson did so at Chicago and LA.