BYU tops Utah in great fashion!

bringing him along quietly?

That has to be one of the worst excuses I have heard in awhile. Take a look at the minutes he gets from game to game. That notion of how he is being “brought along” is pure nonsense. How can any player get the experience he needs, or more importantly DESERVES when he averages 6 minutes a game?

sounds like gossip and rumor to me.

more gossip and rumors…

Who said anything about a doghouse? and why don’t you think Rose should take any of the responsibility for not playing the kid more? Everyone and their “dog” can see it. I’ve been saying it for a long time now.

Rose has no problem giving Seljaas, Worthington, Haws and other players, who are inconsistent and don’t play good defense, lots of minutes. To what end? they don’t contribute that much, they aren’t going to help the team when it matters, etc. and everyone sits around wondering why BYU isn’t a better team.

It’s frustrating… and moreso when it is obvious.

But, this explains the 6 minutes and increase to 10 minutes against Utah. “Quietly.”

See, I make lots of sense if you just patiently and long sufferingly ponder upon my words :slight_smile:

You need some math lessons… or did you pretend to teach math when you were a teacher? The 10 minutes increased his average from 5 to 6… maybe. The 4 or 5 games previous to that one he was getting 3 or 4 minutes and even had a zero minute game sandwiched in there. There is no “increase” as you weakly tried to explain.

Rose is messing with him again this season… it’s going to cost the Cougars in some games this season. It already has.

Well, going from 3 minutes in a game to 10 minutes in a game is a 233% increase. So, you are incorrect about that there was no increase. 233% isn’t very quiet so I was wrong about that.

The 10 minutes only increased his average minutes per game from 4 minutes to 5 minutes. But, the last game still was 10 minutes. A quiet increase :slight_smile:

and what will you say when it goes back to 2 minutes or zero minutes the next game? He may get more minutes against Idaho State or some other low level team but those are not meaningful minutes.

One reason it bugs me so much is that my kid was a lot like Dastrup in that every time he got into a game or had meaningful minutes, he produced and his team was better. He was a smart player. His JV coach told me on several occasions that he “couldn’t take him out of the game because he did everything right”, or “if he hadn’t been in there they would have lost a game” or “he does everything I ask him to do”, etc. and then he got stuck with a varsity coach who was a complete jerk who had no business coaching varsity basketball, let alone basketball period. My kid refused to play varsity as a senior after a horrible experience playing as a junior.

Honestly, I am surprised that Dastrup has stayed with it, maybe he likes his teammates too much. But it must be hard watching guys like Seljaas and Worthington and even Nixon getting all the minutes. I am concerned that Rose just doesn’t like Dastrup that well as a person and he can’t get past his feelings or opinions regardless of what the kid does when he is in there or how he helps the team.

This has gone on way too long for it to be anything else… I’ve run out of ideas or answers.

I have seen a few interviews with Dastrup on TV and he seems like a good guy. His comments I read in paper after the Utah game indicates he has a good attitude and wants to win the trust of the coaches by producing when he is given a chance. He said he was a lifelong BYU fan. For a top 100 recruit it seems like he has a great attitude but I am not at practice everyday. I haven’t detected one bit of the entitlement mentality. The stuff on the bench during the games shouldn’t be a factor at all. It is harmless. Maybe his demeanor doesn’t sit well with coaches. It is all a mystery to me.

A lot of his problems could stem from last season. The games I saw he was slow to the ball and when he did come up with a rebound he would often get it slapped away. He seemed to be out of shape and lacking in energy. I haven’t seen that in the games I have seen this year when he has played meaningful minutes. I am hoping the Utah game gives the coaches the confidence in him they need to play him a lot more.

When Seljaas had his 3 point shooting breakout a couple years ago he immediately got big minutes every game, even when he wasn’t shooting lights out. It was such a big deal that he came off his mission early so he could get a problem fixed and be ready to play asap. He can get hot from the outside but that is all he has. His defense is a huge liability, he’s weak inside and if he isn’t hitting his shot… well, what’s the point?

Yet he gets big minutes every game.

Also, players like Haws, Seljaas, Nixon and Worthington get good minutes whether they are playing well or not. I remember Haws was 0-10 one game, did nothing on either end of the floor yet he still played close to 30 minutes and BYU had to make a last ditch comeback to win.

Sometimes I question myself about being a BYU fan…

Except he never “got his problem fixed.” That was the story for the early return, but he never ended up having the surgery.

That was also why Ben Olson came home early (“shoulder surgery,” prior to transferring to UCLA). Did Emery claim he needed surgery, or did he just come home early?

Missions are such an important part of who people are and their spiritual development. Even if my shoulder were hurting, and even if it might mean that you can’t play right away when you get back, I would serve my full time on the mission. The benefit and blessing far outweighs the perceived “cost” and sacrifice.

So grasshopper said that Dastrups minutes are increasing because he played 10 vs. Utah. Everyone knows this is an inaccurate statement as his minutes have been spotty and inconsistent.

If we take a look at the minutes over the course of the season -

MVSU - 10
Princeton - 3
UT Arlington - 10
Niagara - 4
Alabama. - 3
Umass - 11
UVU - 4
Utah State - 3
Illinois St. - 3
Weber St. - 0
Utah - 10

Also, it isn’t a 6 minute a game average. It is 61 minutes over 11 games which is more like 5.5 minutes a game, hardly enough to get any experience or develop chemistry with the other players on the team. So the only thing that shows an increase is… well, nothing. The minutes are totally inconsistent and don’t point to any effort on the part of Rose to prepare for games down the road. Rose is definitely a one game at a time coach. That is why the team always has a good record but never does anything at the end of the season. No player development, no chemistry… recipe for mediocrity. On the other hand, Few has been giving lots of minutes to a variety of players while the team and players develop. That is the difference…

Gone on way too long? Last year he was 40 pounds over weight and couldn’t move fast enough nor jump.
This year he is in better shape. And, we have only played 11 games. Take it easy.

I notice that the Ball kid with the Lakers has had terrible shooting and yet still starts and plays a lot of minutes. Perhaps coaches are more customed to allow players to work through shooting slumps. I’m correct on this. Over the past 3 games, this has paid off as Haws shot is back.
I’m with you in Dastrup when we are playing with a big front line. But, sometimes we need to go smaller. Nixon helps a lot to give Childs a rest. I haven’t seen bad games from Nixon.
Between Dastrup and Worthington, Dastrup has the better skill and upside. But Luke has improved too. He can spell Dastrup.

Few can give more players more time because he’s usually 10 players deep. 2 at every position. Rose hasn’t had those extra players that can develop enough to play more time. This year is a bit different. He’s played more players early on. But now it’s time to win. This year, I think he will play 9 deep when Nixon is back.

Weber State game had BYU with 7 players the entire game. The more you post, the more I see that you don’t understand what is really going on. You are just saying things without any accountability and hoping it sticks.

How many played tonight? And, how many minutes did Dastrup play? You will understand as time goes on. Dastrup will play, Nixon will play and Worthington’s minutes will go down. I don’t know who else you think is really ready to play? Andrus and Shaw are injured still. The other guards aren’t ready.
Childs, Bryant, Hardnett, Haws, Seljaas, Conner’s, Dastrup, Nixon and Worthington are ready for minutes. 9 is all that is necessary.

Dastrup was 100% on his shooting tonight (except FT 2-3) and only 14 minutes playing time. This makes no sense, if he is hot then play him the whole game. I don’t want to point finger at any other players getting more than 30 minutes per game. Eli and Yoele need to be on the floor a lot. I like Nixon too and when he comes back, I worried Dastrup will start doing “Cheerleading” again (more bench oops cheering time).
I know, why am I yapping at you guys which we should all be yelling at Dave Rose and say “Dastrup IS HOT, PLAY HIM MORE”!!!

PS, was it because he is not a small guard team? He can shoot 3’s so beautifully and how many 6’10" players can shoot like that? Can somebody put up his overall stats for this year shooting attempt/mades & percentage? ::slightly_frowning_face:

16-21 attempts for .762 average
6-9 threes for a.667
5-7 FTs for .714

https://byucougars.com/athlete/m-basketball/116729/Payton-Dastrup

21 shots in 12 games?

Seriously though, his stats are incredible given the number of minutes he plays per game. He comes in cold, plays very few minutes typically and yet he is 16-21 shooting field goals and almost half of those are 3 pointers and the guy is 6’10"? Any coach in the world would be salivating to have a guy like that on his team and Rose plays him 6 stinking minutes a game…

I guess it is a good thing that he got his most minutes tonight of 14, but it is really maddening why it hasn’t been more. At least the average is up over 6 minutes per game but that is way too low at this point in the season. He should have been averaging at least 15 minutes per game by now. Playing 14 minutes, scoring 14 points and both of those being season highs only proves the point.

Honestly, does Rose get it yet or is Dastrup still in a “dog house”?

Maybe he isn’t ready for more minutes. 10 now 14. See what happens in the next game. And that won’t be an easy win. The #1 RPI team. Don’t be fooled with their record.

You just won for stupidest comment of the year.

What… is that 4 years running now? Hilarious some of the things you say.

LOL! I don’t care who they have played, 0-12 is 0-12. They haven’t won a single game. I guess BYU shouldn’t be fooled by their record but let’s be honest, the only way BYU loses this game is if they play their worst game of the year… at home. I will say they are better than their record indicates… how could they be worse than 0-12? The weird thing is that they have not played 1 home game this season so far…