BYU vs. Boise St

So my comments a week ago, after the big loss to USC are verified by the coach. I also said the same thing in this thread right after the game. Dang… feels good to say the same thing the coach, whom I respect greatly, says.

Now I am patiently waiting for the Hopper to say that the reason BYU lost is that they didn’t score enough points. :rofl:

Have to mention that BYU battled back and tied the game several times. After a 21 point first half BYU outscored BSU with 49 in the second. To not roll over and playing without the crowd shows BYU believes in themselves, The loss was self inflicted. Poor substitutions (coaching). BSU is a good team, a NCAA team and BYU should of beat them, just had some mental errors, that is fixable.

The big reason why BYU didn’t win at the end was there was no crowd. That’s worth at least 4-6 points if not more.

No more phony excuses. BYU lost because of 11 turnovers, falling behind 14 points and a suffocating defense by BSU, that led to rushed shots-all in the first half. Give BYU credit for coming back but their defense was suspect towards the game’s end. Listen to the coach-We aren’t a great team right now and we probably aren’t even a good team. Work in progress

No crowd isn’t a phony excuse. We know the fans affect the game for the home team. Especially in basketball and volleyball.
Yes, BYU came out flat and without the same energy Boise did. Yes, we still have turnover issues. We have every game yet we are 5-2. We have free throw issues as well.

I think there is one legit excuse for the poor play this year.

There are 11 new players on the team this year that has not played together much. Then you throw in this stupid pandemic which limited time together and you are seeing the fruits of that on the court now.

I am not worried about it right now, I want to see what happens when league play starts.
will they learn the chemistry to have a better team?
Who will step up and be the vocal and on floor general?
What moves will Pope make to improve the team?

I just hope they play well enough to beat Utah tomorrow. Losing the game last year because Childs cramped up and had to come out the last 8 minutes or so cost BYU a game they were on the way to winning going away. I just hope they are good enough to pull one out this year. I am tired of BYU losing to Utah in football and two in a row in basketball will be hard to take.

Definitely agree about all the new players. You know -it is what it is and I have no problem losing to BSU. They are an experienced, good defensive team and at this point in the season, most likely better than us and that’s ok-I have no problem saying that they were just better than we were that particular night, but you will never hear me saying “we lost because the fans weren’t there” but that’s ok-to each his own and if it makes you feel better-go with it

You know if they play as bad a first half as they did against BSU they will probably lose. If they play like they did in the second half they may run them out of the gym. It’s up to the players and how much intensity and confidence they bring into the game

Yes there are new players, but they have mostly played their entire basketball lives within a few hundred miles of each other. There has to be some familiarity with these teammates based on that fact alone.

I wonder if BYU will be a “bubble” team this season and if there will be a ncaa tournament. The bubble team thing should work out considering they kind of play in the bubble of Utah Valley…

Like Aro, I just want them to beat Utah for now. Tired of losing to the Utes…

I completely agree with you. Shock shock :slight_smile:

What your saying isn’t an excuse-it’s the state of the team at a current place in time, just like the defense not performing or the offense. Excuses are not giving the winning team the credit they deserve, with some lame excuse. Why do I really like Sitake? Listening to his post game CC interview -he gave all the credit to CC and stood up for his team as well. No complaining, no excuses-just manning up to the loss, yet never complaining about the quick trip or the lack of time for game prep. Yeh Sitake rocks in my book, just like Edward’s and Mendenhall

He would have rocked even more if he had taken over a little of the defense play calling and done something different in the second half.

:+1:you know-IMO he just needs an innovative DC and just be the face of BYU football, but what do i know over here in Oregon

He should have taken over the offense and then we would have scored more than 3 points and won.