BYU vs ILL St 1st half

Someone mentioned about Nixon taking that 3 point shot with 18 seconds to go. When Rose gives a direction or a play, what happens is players refuse to take the easy shot and time runs out. The players have to see they are open for a three and know they can dribble in for a shorter easier shot and just do it.

Well, I’m not so sure it isn’t completely a talent issue. There are players very talented while in practice without game pressure. Or, very talented at the high school level because the pressure is minimal. But, when it comes to game play, their talent doesn’t goes down because the game is so much different at a D1 level. I’m sure in practice free throw percentages are probably 95% and 3 point percentage is around 80%. Put the lights on, the noise, the other distractions and the pressure of the miss they will get yanked and the shooting goes down. For BYU, it’s always about game shooting. Their center of gravity, how high they jump or don’t while shooting, elbows flinging out, falling away or to one side. Can a coach correct that sort of stuff?

Obviously by now you should all know that Rose is bullet proof. Yes I see things that are happening that coaches are responsible for. It is their job to set up crucial plays in crucial situations. A 7% 3 point shooter should not take a 3 point shot at the end of a game, especially when you are only down one. It shouldn’t happen. Players have been running out of control for the past 3 years. That is Rose’s responsibility to rein them in. Finally Haws is getting there. Even though Child’s hit 3s last night his season % is not that good. He has a better option of scoring inside and getting fouled. Seljaas’s value is as a shooter and his percentage sucks, so it might be better to have more defense instead. Yes players are responsible for themselves, but coaches are overseers of the program. I don’t see many folks around feeling sorry for Pitino, and they shouldn’t. Whether he knew or not, and I would argue that he certainly did, he was the overseer of Louisville basketball and deserved what he got. If you look at Gonzaga’s team you will notice several things. They have more talent, but they play more disciplined and they play way more aggressively on defense. Few is a much better coach than Rose and it shows in how his players play, even though they play an uptempo game similar to BYU. It’s like a repeating cycle and happens from the time they step on the court as freshmen until they leave. It’s a good model to try and emulate. Players such as the LP3 trio would have ultimately thrived under that system imo

Yeah, bugged me to no end… and still does.

I don’t know what the specific reason for the poor performance of the team is, but it has compelled me to look elsewhere for a team I want to root for. It really hit home when I attended the Rice game and all of the pregame hype, the little contests at halftime and timeouts, the t-shirt cannon… it was nonsense. Also, the cocky mannerisms of Haws, the complaints by Childs on EVERY call against him… it was all just nonsense because the team just isn’t that good. It has no place in a good team, let alone one that isn’t that good.

If he can’t then he probably shouldn’t be coaching. I haven’t seen it being corrected for years now, so that probably means it is time for a new coaching staff.

If Aro thinks the talent is enough then there are no excuses anymore.

The only thing about Nixon taking the shot is there was only 3 seconds on the shot clock. It should never have gotten down that far. Someone else should have had a shot.

Was there even a planned plan to execute a play?

Who knows. But I read a commentary that makes sense. Make free throws and we win games. ILL ST made 17-18 and they won.