BYU vs. Portland... should be an easy win but who knows?

The team is off to a good start but that isn’t an indicator of much. This is how they should play against the bottom feeders of the wcc.

14 point lead at halftime.

A game like this would make you think they are playing well and have a good shot against Gonzaga but who knows what will happen Saturday.

Hopefully the beating Jimmer put down on the Zags before BYU joined the wcc will still be in the back of the Zags mind. That is the primary reason BYU gives Gonzaga fits… they can’t forget when they got Jimmered.

So BYU gets an 18 point lead in the second half and can’t hold it. Portland scores 9 straight and cuts the lead in half. There is the momentum thing that posters have talked about. Rose calls the timeout, which he should, but what will BYU do differently now? How many minutes does Haws need to prove he should be in there?

Haws is the Dave Rose of players on the team. He is using his glorified past to carry him in the present. He is useless out there.

I guess the big change was to put Worthington in and have him start shooting the jump hook. Is there a more predictable move in the wcc? That is all he does besides brick layups, which by the way doesn’t hurt his playing time.

BYU should still win this game easy but like the entire season, nobody knows what to expect.

Worthington normally shoots that very well. He’s been off the last few games.

Anybody see what happened with Haws?

I love Caron Butler.

Come on. Best passer, excellent shooter, fast hands on defense, creates quite a few steals, improving significantly on moving his feet, one of the better players at moving without the ball. Mostly the guy deeply cares, guy has heart.

Also, I just checked, Haws has a 2.27 assist/turnover ratio, 79th in the nation. Pretty good for a sophomore.

All in all, decent game. Streak problem still a problem. Minutes balance still a problem. Need to move off the ball a little more, the passing near the rim was excellent, especially big to big. Eli was surprisingly weak on defense… That’s worrisome. Nixon had a nice game. No minutes for dastrup? Come on?

Were the Portland students chanting we’ll beat the spread? That’s a little sad.

Rose looked sick…

I laughed so hard when Haws screamed at that guy.

They have an offense they run putting them in positions that you mentioned. As it should be. But, once again, they are baiting us to shoot 24 3’s, we have to drive and learn to jump stop for 8 foot shots. Less 3s please.

Eli was letting his man go to his right. However, in the 2nd half he made him go more to his left. He also played all 40 minutes. I was glad to see Childs sit the 2nd half and be ready to Gonzaga. I was hoping to get a 30 point lead so Bryant could sit too. But, we shot too many 3s.

When we moved the ball, we got better shots, especially near the basket. I don’t mind threes in flow and open. But if the defense is giving us the Lane, take it.

Eli needs to rest regardless. The data is clear here. Guys need to rest often and early or the injury risk goes way up and they tend to lose steam too quickly, before the fourth usually.

Last 2 games too many 3s. Get the ball into the lane more.

Depends on what the defense gives…No perfect strategies but adaptation to the goal and situation.

Last two games, yes too many threes. Next game, it depends…

Teams are playing tight defense on the perimeter. We should be able to slip players into the lane for some good short shots. We can’t keep shooting 3s under 30% at a high numbernof 3s.

Sure, if your If then holds, I don’t have a problem with that. I’ve been screaming for more ball movement and off ball player movement for a long time which is how you will get what you’re asking for: [quote=“grasshopper, post:9, topic:7883”]
We should be able to slip players into the lane for some good short shots. We can’t keep shooting 3s under 30% at a high numbernof 3s.
[/quote]
But the only way that will happen is if Rose makes it happen. It’s his call to make. If he wants Eli and TJ to lay off the threes (4/13 tonight) then all he needs to do is tell them to do it. Moving without the ball is the easiest skill in basketball, everyone on this team can pass, so there are no talent limitations. I’m curious to see how Rose coaches on saturday.

I would hope the 3s we take will go in being at home. At least I hope.

Shut the F up…So glad he did NOT drop what we all initially thought he said. We would be hearing about that for years.

another Rose doctrine. Ride em til they drop…Eil plays all 40. Haws 35. This is eFFin ridiculous. What the F is going on here. Dustrup gets 0 eFFin minutes. Bergerson, the guy that Rose said was having great practices gets no love, what the F?

Haws SCREAMED at what guy? I had the game on my TV last night but didn’t pay attention the whole game. Did he got ejected from the game? I did noticed one Portland player near 13 minute (2nd half) mark that he step on his ankle.

I got fed up with Dave Rose for not playing his whole team. He didn’t develop his team every single year. And Payton Dastrup wasn’t playing at all last night. And all I read about him two days ago from DeseretNews about how great he is a “CHEERLEADER?”

I noticed one thing that Rose did last night that I applaud him for. He benched Childs for taking ridiculous 3 point shots and put Worthington in, who promptly made 6 points, shutting down the Portland rally. And no-it was not to rest him. It drives me crazy when these guys start trying to do everything by themselves and forget the team concept and Actually there are about 5 other guys I would want taking a 3 before Childs. Worthington and Bryant sealed the win in the latter stages of that game.

I don’t mind him taking open threes. We need him to develop that shot and I think he only averages 1 per game. He was 1/3 tonight which is sufficient for him.

Basketball has changed. Spacing is critical and you can’t afford to punt on it. When Kyle was running point, his inability to threes was one of the biggest problems we faced. Right now when we have lineups on the floor with two non shooters it complicates the court geometry.

Right now his form is awkward and I flinch a little when I see it but we need that to become better, not for him to stop doing it. Yo must play so Yo must shoot.

Normally I don’t mind either, but this was in a critical stage when Portland was making a run and BYU needed to be looking for high percentage shots, but he wasn’t the only one either, so they won and that’s good, but it was interesting that Rose pulled him after that last 3 point attempt and immediately they went to Worthington on the post up

Oh ok. Context certainly does matter. So maybe you’re right. Either way. it’s important he eventually be able to knock that shot down. If they give him 10 feet and don’t even pretend, then you better knock it down or the wheels fall of the beautiful machine.

Worthington bricked a shot early in the game and Rose pulled him out a little later. He put him back in later in the second half because Yoeli was having problems and Worthington played better. Although we need to remember that this is Portland and they are one of the weaker teams, it is interesting that Rose went against the strategy he uses with one of the other players, where he pulls him for a mistake and never plays him again, like last night when that player sat the entire game.

The best thing that could happen to BYU is to have Worthington and Nixon get into foul trouble in the wcc tourney and force Rose to put Dastrup in. I wouldn’t care what happened after that.If Dastrup stunk it up and BYU lost badly I could say “told you this would happen” and if Dastrup played well and BYU made the final or something it would prove what I said all along about his talent.

Either way, Rose has egg on his face. That is one of the main reasons Rose is afraid to play him right now. It is too risky with the potential to make him look bad.

Dastrup has trouble when Nixon is playing well. But he should get at least 5 or 6 minutes. Bergerson just isn’t quite ready for prime time. He’s a freshman but will develop. Next year he will help more and so will Dastrup.