BYU vs San Fransisco

Just shows how good we really are :slight_smile:the refs are what they are. We just have to score more points than the other team and we did.

It is what it is. No conspiracy. We just scored more than they did :upside_down_face:

All I am going to say after tonite’s game is that there is a vested interest in making sure that BYU is relevant in the wcc. Just look at the attendance averages.

I was really disappointed in the officials. Rose was screaming at them and they folded up like wet napkins… there was nothing to be screaming at except the poor play of his team but at least he couldn’t blame Dastrup this game.

Frustrating team to root for…

Ya, easy to root for a winning team. 20 game winner! Refs could have called 60 fouls tonight which would have wrecked the flow of the game and you would have complained about that. Try to enjoy the games more :slight_smile:
Great Stake Conference tonight!

Oh good grief Charlie Brown…The reason we won is because of the players scoring more than SF.

OK Mr. half full.

There will be games when your horses don’t pull their load. Yo shooting fade aways, come on, man but he makes up for it with stops and rebounds.
Worthington just plain sucked out there, no other way to paint it
Hardnett plays a poor game all night but makes the 3 point play in the end and becomes the most surprised person in the building when the call went his way…guilty as charged.
Saljaas stank, stunk more then Worthlesston.
Nixon clearly is eating up Dastrup’s time. Hard worker and we better get used to it, Dastrup is out and Nixon is in so don’t waste anymore breath on the matter.
Eli’s stroke gave us a win. Just love his game.
MVP…Haws clearly kept us in the game. Best game as a Coug outside of that Gonzaga win in Spokane.

Trilled with the win and to come back from the dead like that will be a building block for this young team. Never would have believed it. These kinds of games will help you win a ton of close ones in the long run. Nobody in Coug nation, not Rose, nor the players except for Haws and Eli believed this game could be won with a minute 20 left, then we have breath at 42 secs and then down by 6 with 22 secs, its over. Then the immaculate call for Hardnett and the silky Eli 3…loved every second of it. (I’m a half full guy hahahhahahh)

That Boum kid is a star. wow but he blew it when it counted, typical 17 year old. SF should have won this thing easy but they made a number of critical errors down the stretch. great win.

Now SMC, who got buzzzzzz sawed in the 1st 6 minutes of the Gonzaga game. Landale gets doubled and SMC misses a few, and the fell apart…I wonder who said that would happen?

They will buzz saw us because they will be more motivated by a better coach. good day.

1 Like

I would have loved it more if the officials hadn’t helped BYU with phantom calls. There were so many that it is hard not to believe that it was intentional.

BYU is the program that probably brings the most money to the conference, even though they finish 3rd every year. It is important that they be given opportunities to do better and they are, how else do you explain the wins at Gonzaga?

The wcc must keep BYU relevant in order to keep the flow of money coming in.

Agreed. It’s important to enjoy the journey. We complain enough, and do it well; it’s good to be thrilled like this.

I have seen BYU lose games like that over the years when the referees made questionable calls or swallowed their whistles. I’ll take this one and enjoy it. Haws was great down the stretch and for once showed what he can be. Bryant made two huge plays to get the thing to OT and Hardnett made a huge play down the stretch after a rough night. I thought Cannon had his best game in a while. He shut down Ferrari after he had a hot start and took care of the basketball better than the rest of the cougs. He only had 2 points but he was solid backing up Hardnett on a night when Hardnett struggled to do anything outside one huge play.

1 Like

Are you talking about the play where Bryant mugged the USF player on the backcourt trap and then passed to Hardnett cutting down the lane? and then Hardnett made the layup and got the cheap call to add a free throw and make it a 3 point play, drswing BYU to within 3 and setting up Bryant’s 3 to send it into OT?

Is that the one?

Exactly… I was really impressed with Haws, particularly when the USF player reached in to steal the ball as he was dribbling and Haws pushed his hand away and got the reach in foul call. That was a great call by the officials, especially at that critical point in the game with the score tied and BYU working for a last shot to win it.

I would much rather the official make some bogus, phantom call instead of letting the players decide who wins the game… nothing better than watching Haws shoot 2 free throws with 4 seconds left and a tie score.

:fearful:

Two wrongs don’t make it right… obviously it is important for BYU to stay relevant and when they have a weak team, like this season, that is struggling they need all the help they can get.

The best thing about the game was Rose screaming at the refs for no reason, getting within inches of the officials face after losing it. I think he was more upset with the play of his team and their 20 turnovers and was taking it out on the refs. Well… it paid off because they got the calls they needed down the stretch to help them pull out a win. If Rose learned one thing this game, it wasn’t about what he needs to do to help the players improve or what adjustments he needs to make to help the team play better. If there was one thing he learned this game, it is that if you scream in the face of the officials long enough, you will eventually get what you want. Sort of a sad commentary on our society today… but it works.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20 turnovers-Lol I Didn’t see the game-glad I missed it except was watching 5 and 6th grade girls throw up air balls😂

Actually I overstated… it was only 19 turnovers. But they were some of the worst I have ever seen. Players were literally throwing the ball right to the USF players.

It was one of the worst I have seen a BYU team play and still win the game.

Yup, and after 39 minutes of bad play BYU woke up and tied it on a three-pointer and won it in OT. WOW!

I thought the calls were questionable but sometimes you get the calls and sometimes you don’t. Sometimes you are the victim of poor officiating and sometimes you benefit. I don’t think there is any conspiracy between officials to favor one team or another. If I thought that was the case I would agree with the point of your statement that two wrongs don’t make a right. Since I don’t generally see poor officiating as intentional I don’t see it as a moral issue. I view the game Saturday as one of those games when BYU played poorly and was lucky to win but made some big plays down the stretch aided by some questionable calls (but unintentionally questionable).

If you are getting conspiratorial I would suggest the official who didn’t call a foul when Bryant allegedly mugged the USF player was helping USF by letting time run off the clock and not putting a poor free throw shooter on the line. Bryant said something to the effect that the official wasn’t calling the foul so he had a chance to rip the ball away and he did. Watching the play on TV it was hard to tell if there was a foul when he ripped the ball away but maybe he did foul the player prior to that and the official didn’t blow the whistle.

Sometimes official make calls not having a good angle or for whatever reason. I don’t think the vast majority of them consciously make calls to favor one team over another.

You need to enjoy the wins more. Anytime you pull out a game like that there is reason to be happy.

You were a half-full glass guy for a second and then the last statements half-empty. Jim is a half-empty referee type. I look at the Hardnett play since I still have the tape of it. Classic layup where a guy slides under and makes body contact. Called all the time in the NBA. Not sure what you don’t see?

The play Jim was talking about with the out of bounds play layup. The play before that was open too except the ball wasn’t thrown long. The SF player should have dribbled around for a few seconds and taken free throws. The layup only lost 2 seconds and Rose would not have been concerned down by only 1 point. The tie was still the goal at that point whether the layup or free throws. Losing only 2 seconds was a great strategy. We almost took the shoot too soon.

You are asking something of Jim that is just in his conspiratorial nature. Don’t you know that the WCC is a pond of the NCAA who is a pond of the NBA who is a pond of Cain who is a pond of Satan? :disappointed:

I have the tape of that play and I saw no contact by either defender that could be called a foul. Bryant had all ball the entire time. So did Childs. There was no foul.

Hardnett’s play watching it now in slow motion was the defender as on the arc and he was pushing Hardnett with his left arm. Had he just stood his ground they may not have called that a foul. Certainly not on Hardnett as the defender was not outside the arc. Typical NBA call.