BYU vs. UT Arlington

OK hawks that was a good one maybe we should rename them to France

So, you finally agree with me that college play is much different than high school. Hopefully this team will understand they have a lot to work on. That includes strength training. UTA were so much physically stronger and more experienced.
Beo looks lost. But the biggest issue was the depth. Losing 3 potential starters changed the outcome this year. Losing Bryant before this game really showed. UTA had depth.
How many times did UTA dribble between 2 BYU players? And we could not cover cutters. If Rose isnā€™t going to get serious about defense and develop the offense maybe itā€™s time to retireā€¦

Hmmmm let me countā€¦UTA was 31-45 on two point shots, so Iā€™d say they can make about 28 layups in a game. Iā€™m pretty sure I have never seen anything like this from BYU before.

I think they spell it, M E R D something or other in Franceā€¦Who would have thought a Dave Rose team playing with one of the 20 best players in the entire country would LAY DOWN AND QUIT TWO GAMES IN A ROW TO END THE SEASON.
We out rebounded them. We shot the same on 3s. The officials gave us every touch foul in the world and we had a huge advantage on the line. The difference? 1) we donā€™t respect each possession, 2) we donā€™t guard anyone, and 3) we quit.

What I would have given to have KC still on this team this year. He handled the ball well, found the open men, penetrated the key, rebounded, played tough defense, and was a leader on the floor. Maybe Bryant can do the job next year if he can stay healthy. Otherwise, Rose had better find another player he can count on. What was going on with Beo tonight? Is he D-l material? Rose is going to have to earn his salary this off-season.

Too bad BYU got stuck with the 900 PM MDT usual last spot in the schedule. ESPN has quite of record for scheduling BYU last on national telecasts, last in the nation.

Did Rose earn his salary this year? His team sure played lackluster when it was crunch time. Yeah, we beat Gonzaga, but we couldnā€™t come near to beating St. Maryā€™s three times and couldnā€™t hold off UT-Arlington.

Rose has some of the most heralded recruits he has had during his tenure. Yet, this has been one of the most disappointing seasons of his tenure. He has to be feeling a lack of confidence in himself and his staff at this point. Rose has a contract that goes through 2020. His exact salary is not public information but reports indicate that Rose got a healthy boost during his last contract negotiation. They also get endorsement money and other benefits that sweeten the pot. I think there are incentives for when the coaches are successful. Rose has been great working with the administration, running a clean program, and generally being competitiveā€¦until recently. He knows as well as anyone that he canā€™t coast his way along through 2020. Fans will be giving Holmo an earful if things donā€™t turn around.

First mistake was hiring the coach from LP for defense. If anything, he should have been the offense coach. Iā€™ve said it before and itā€™s true with coaching as well as playing from high school to college and college to pros.

I know the injuries were significant because 2 of the 3 were seniors and the other a sophomore. And the last 2 games you could see what Bryant could do. But, that doesnā€™t answer why the offensive and defensive schemes were so unproductive. Jim wants to say it was 100% effort. But, none of the players left the court without sucking wind. The effort was there but as was with last night BYU had no clue who they were suppose to guard half the time. Same with St. Maryā€™s and UVU coach Pope knew that too. This isnā€™t high school and why coach Rose chose LP coach for defense makes no sense. LP is offense first.

As we should, When fans start chanting, ā€œfire the coachā€, it tends to motivate coaches.

If you want to look at the stats, they will point to better days in the coming yearā€¦

-Injuries, continue to mess with our continuityā€¦I counted 3 different types of zone, UTA feasted on everyone of them. I counted so many weird substitutions. UTA feasted on Aytes, Kaufusi, Shaw like they were green jello.
-We had 45 rebounds to their 33. 16 of our rebounds were offensive boards, insane!!! and the reason Mika had a good night.
-BYU had 20 turnovers, almost all were unforced, meaning we did it to ourselves, that just shows dumb young mistakes and should get cleared up.
-We allowed UTA to drive the middle any dang time they wanted, not good now, not good ever and all the coaches should lose their jobs if we canā€™t fix that.
-We went under all of the pic and rolls and got burned every single time, that can be fixed.
-UTA looked like Golden State out there, making the extra pass and #5 Wilson or #4 Charles hit every open shot and they were so wide open I could have hit a bevy of threes. FIX IT, EMULATE IT.
-The worst thing that could have happened was for Haws to be on the WCC 1st team, rewarding him, making him think that he plays good BBall when he plays zero defense. I hope he works on it. My man, Frampton, on the other hand was Mr. Hustle out there, hope to see more of him.

So it is not all doom and gloom. I could see UTA playing in Madison square. They are all Seniors and smart, fast. good luck to them and good luck to our boys next year.

1 Like

Gotta love your unabashed, positive attitude Chris. I wish I was as excited about where this team is going but that would be like trying to predict the weather before satellites. It just isnā€™t possible.

The best comment of all came when you compared UTA to the Golden State Warriors. It isnā€™t just chance that had numerous teams looking like world beaters when they played BYU this season. The same thing could be said if a team was playing Provo HS. When you donā€™t play defense it makes it easier for the other team to play well.

you do realize Dastrup was 40 lbs. over weight and had no stamina to stay in the game for long periods of time, right?

Cleveland talked about it on the interview I told you about.