Calvert to leave BYU

I totally agree. It is unlikely he will be on against OK. The best bet for BYU is to develop some of their young talent now so that they might be ready for conference play and either decisively win the conference or win the conference tournament in order to get to the NCAA.
This year, Gonzaga is vulnerable. They can be beaten. BYU has a lot of young talent. If we develop that talent now, it will pay dividends late in the season and in the coming season. It is time to stop relying on the failed project that is Chase Fischer. Continuing to rely on Fischer is a high stakes bet that will most likely jump up and bite usā€¦multiple times.

Sorry, but you are waffling. One minute you are saying Calvert should have gotten more time and the next you are saying Fischer should keep firing away. That is the wafflingā€¦ you canā€™t have it both ways. Also, the problem with Kyle was not whether he called Fischer out or not. I never suggested that he should do that. I was perturbed when he said it was all okayā€¦ when it was obviously not. I know that players need to have short memories but it was right after the game and he acted like it was no big deal losing a game like they did. He was cocky and in denialā€¦

What is the problem with saying something like ā€œas a team we need to find a way to be more consistent and help each other get better. If something isnā€™t working we need to try and contribute in different ways.ā€ Instead he just talked about how they were going to beat up on Central Michigan and it was all good, no problemsā€¦

Already looking toward next season? That is a clear indication that you donā€™t hold out much hope for this season. Why is that? Could it be that you, like the rest of us, see the writing on the wall like Calvert did? That Rose is going to stick with Fischer and take the good (when he gets hot) with the bad (when he is not hot and it kills any opportunity to win)? Fischer has his place on the team but he isnā€™t the complete player that the team needs. If he isnā€™t hitting his shot, he offers nothing else. He is good for a few steals but makes poor decisions, no assists and shoots the team in the foot all too often.

No waffeling. I never said for Calvert to come in for Fischer :wink:

Rose is in a hard place trying to develop the young talent while not allowing the little experience he has to do their best and yet still win.
Wasnā€™t it the Mississippi State game the starters just blew them out and then the inexperienced players gave it all up and made a game of it against a putrid teamā€¦

It is not a new balancing act for Rose or any other coach in Division 1 well except maybe Calipari. And Rose is better at the balance than most coaches. I wish Calvert had stuck around a bit longer to start reaping the rewards of his efforts at BYU instead at another school where I expect heā€™ll be a legit NBA prospectā€¦not guaranteed but at least in the conversation.

Calvert has never been considered a legit NBA prospect. He was not playing and T.J. Haws will be back next year. Haws was a top 50 recruit, or something like that. Calvert was a decent recruit but he wasnā€™t that highly recruited. I think he should do well someplace else, There will be a glut of young talent at BYU for several years to come. Next year alone 3 top 100 recruits return from missions. There should be depth and talent at every position.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe he was a legit nba prospect either. I do think he could have developed into a decent player at BYU and possibly could have turned that into a short stint in Europe or somewhere else overseas.

Soā€¦ if TJ Haws is the second coming of Jimmer or Tyler, then why is anybody else sticking around? What about Toolson, Bryant or Chatman? Geezā€¦ even Seljaas played fewer minutes in the CU game than CF did. They obviously arenā€™t good enough to get Fischerā€™s minutesā€¦ just like Calvert they got to sit and watch the 0-9 3 point exhibitionā€¦ wasnā€™t CC the player of the year in Colorado one year? What a great reunion he must have had with some of his former teammates and coachesā€¦ sitting on the bench and watching the debacle. Heck the reason Fischer only had 25 minutes vs. LBSU (2nd game of the season) was because he fouled outā€¦

The funniest thing about the whole problem is that after the CU game Rose was insistent that while the team looks good at times, they also look very bad and they need to be more CONSISTENT. Those were his exact words - CONSISTENT - yet he is okay with giving the most inconsistent player in the last 10 years substantial minutes every game to damage the team enough to create losses in winnable games. I knew this was coming when I saw his ridiculous hairstyle the first few gamesā€¦ I donā€™t want to be dissing on Rose because he does have a tough job but how many times has BYU blown or lost games that were very winnable because of situations similar to this one? Twice this year so farā€¦ The politics/nepotism at BYU is just a killer.

Iā€™m not sure he can match Carlino in his inconsistency but I too remain befuddled with why the Fischerā€™s inconsistency is rewardedā€¦Clearly when heā€™s on heā€™s one of the best if not the best on the floor. But when heā€™s off a fish monger smells better.
Several frosh, including Calvert, have looked better at times than Fischer did in most of his time on the floor at Colorado.

Actually, we will have a glut of big men. For next year it would be easier to absorb the loss of a Shaw than it is to absorb the loss of any guard.

Most inconsistent? How quickly we forget Tavernari, another gunner without a conscience who never saw a contested or off balance 3 he couldnā€™t chuck up there. Now that I write this, I do admit that Tavernari was not as maddening, because at least he could rebound and was a stand-and-shoot guy who didnā€™t dominate the rock. Fischer is worse. But just barely, and only because he hurts you everywhere else on the court too. You are right.

Actually T.J. Haws may turn out to be better than Tyler Haws who was a scorer and not much else. From all reports T.J. was a better prospect than Tyler at the HS level.

I am not saying I am glad Calvert left and it is unfortunate Fischer is so up an down but I donā€™t think the loss of Calvert is as big a deal as people make it out to be. BYU has a ton of young talent and it is hard finding minutes for everybody. They seem to lack focus and chemistry right now but there is some talent but a lot of it is young. This could still be a good year. Emery is already proving to be an outstanding player and has a nice left hook he can deliver and T.J. Haws may be better from what I have heard.

When you recruit as much talent as Rose has recruited in recent years it is inevitable that some people will transfer looking for more playing time.

I dunnoā€¦ at least when Carlino wasnā€™t hitting his shots he was dishing assists or hustling.

He is single handedly responsible for two of BYUā€™s three losses.

In my opinion his leash is way too long.

I think that people are overestimating how deep we will be. Next year, we will have at the 1 and 2, TJ Haws, fresh off a mission. Emery, Jordan Chatman and Elijah Bryant. That is a starter and a backup at each position. That is one freshman and three sophomores. One or two injuries or one more transfer could leave us very lean at these positions. We do have walkon Steven Beo, however, he is really an unknown (although he has offers from good schools). Even if he turns out to be good, we still have freshmen and sophomores with great potential for mistakes and injuries.
At the three, we have a few more options. We are not deep, but we have several players that could play 3 or 4. Here we really only have two players that are true threes, Hartsock and Toolson.
At the 4 and 5, there is a crowd. We have Kaufusi (starter), Mika (starter), Davis (starter), Dastrup (4 star), Childs (4 star) and Aytes (solid). Even if we push one of the starter level players to the three (Dastrup/Childs/Aytes), we still have three starter level players at the 4 and 5 and we can only start 2. If Hamson proves to be better than just a project, we really have a log jam.
Bottom line, our depth next year is with the bigs, not the guards. I donā€™t know where Calvert stacked up on the guard line, however, he will be missed.

Tavernari was a little maddening but at least he did other things. If CF isnā€™t hitting the 3, there isnā€™t a lot more he does to contribute.

Nowā€¦ one last thing. I would appreciate you using those last 3 words in your replies to me a little more often. Perhaps it will have an effect on Gavenman and he will understand as well. :smiley:

We have a glut at guard and I would not be surprised if we lose another one or two as we go. The reason why Fischer is an easier pill to swallow isā€¦Carlino was the point and when your point canā€™t get the rest of the team involved because he is bipolar, the rest of the team suffers. Fischer should be benched when he is off because his is so one dimensional. He only shoots 3s. I would put Zaljass or Hartsock in there, they can hit 3s as well as defend and rebound.

While I am critiquing the team, I might as well say that KC should not be the Point. He tries to do too much and should be a go to guy. Emery plays with his head up and would make a better point. He is very good a penetrating and finding the open big man or outside guard. KC is much more of a finisher and should play his true position.

Lastly, TJ Haws will be the best Point we have had since Ainge. He has the ability to create his own shot at any time. He has Jimmer range and when we see him, Emery and Mika on the floor, we will see magic. Add to those guys an athletic Kaufusi or Childs or Dastrup and BYU is gonna be special.

Oh by the way, Fischer will have a great game tonight. Blowout.

Please name one or two guards that we can afford to lose from next yearā€™s team. While youā€™re doing it, indicate who our starters would be and who would back them up.

next years guards
Chatman sophomore redshirt
Emery sophomore returning starter
Bryant sophomore transfer former frosh of the year I bid league
Toolson junior non starter this year
Beo freshman preferred walkon candidate WA HS player of the year
Haws freshman new RM

three on the floor at any given timeā€¦anyone missing or not playing well could be uglyā€¦

Calvert quit this year
Ainge quit this year

And we may lose Chatmanā€¦he has already redshirted last year.

If you add Elijah and TJ to the guards we already have, BYU will be just fine at guard. Better at forward and deepest at center then we have been for years.