Dance Watch-BYU

Yeah, oh brother :yawning_face:

A must win game for BYU

Should be a good game but BYU should win. If we learned how to keep focus for 40 minutes as it looked against UNLV. We didnā€™t let up like we did against Utah.

Yes, but Houston, Va Tech, UCLA wins have BYU looking IN, not OUT as of today. This week is a defining moment for BYU at home with a surging upward Nevada team and a @ Vivint SLC game with USU.

I agree! This week is big with Nevada and USU. Both quality teams. What do you think of Haws game lately?

Last nightā€™s Nevada game was reffed by 3 officials that have over 20 final 4 games between the 3 of them. They called some tacky stuff on Childs but did a very good job overall.

Childs was off last night. Especially in the first half. He deserved those calls and has to stop talking to refs and flinging his hands up on every non-call. I think heā€™s trying out for the lead roll for the NBA. Just play basketball.

Looking back on the Nevada game. Nevada had been scoring at about 85 ppg these last four games. They looked on paper to give BYU a scare at home.
I have to say that reffing made a small difference as they did not call Nevadaā€™s flops, I watched as Jazz Johnson drove to the hoop with Haws draped all over him, whistle blows, foul Haws, right? Nope Johnson pushes off with the armā€¦never called in college, always called in the NBA. I said, wow.

BYU completely shut down the wolf packā€™s two best players and Coach Alford made a critical mistake by double teaming Childs down low. A lot of our big menā€™s kick outs do not go as assists as BYU make 1 more pass for an uncontested 3. beautiful to watch. and no favoritesā€¦go figure.

This team plays everyone tough-I dont expect anything different Saturday

Pope has already COMPLETELY put his imprint on this team. Seriouslyā€“itā€™s not even the same team anymore. Haws still guns too much (for me) and throws a few into the seats, but even he has bought in 99% to Popeā€™s message. Good job Coach and just wait a couple years until Pope brings in more size and athleticism.

1 Like

Okay, do we really have to wait?

Well, BYU may end up being ranked or at least getting votes. This USU game may be the best win of the year so far.

Only 3 foul shots? Were they the same refs in the Utah game? USU defense was good but we missed some open shots that could have gotten us to a double digit lead in the second half.
BYUā€™s 3 point defense was excellent! But, we didnā€™t lose this close game and that will help in league games.

I was looking for who were those refs at Utah game. Last night game against usu were Referees: Rick Randall, Randy McCall, Eric Curry.
I didnā€™t see the game but wow, only 3 shots attempts for the entire game? And usu made 14 with 16 attempts?
Anyway, we won the game.

We donā€™t shoot as many in the paint as other teams. But there were several non-calls in the paint where we should have been to the line. But as I always say, we can win in other ways to overcome any bias. We had only 9 turnovers.

BYU got votes this week, as predicted.

Our best wins of the year to date: Houston, USU, Nev, Va Tech, UNLV, UCLA in that order.
Best loss of the year if you can say it. SDSU, Utah, Kansas in that order

Sagarin has BYU #29, Pomeroy #32, Team Rankings #19. All these ratings spell a strong chance WCC gets 3 teams in. BYU is clearly ahead of SMC. SMC #38.

SMC is our next really tough game January 9 on the road 4 of the next 5 at home I believe!

Dave McCann talked metrics on ESPN radio. Spoke on what I have been saying for quite some time. BYU is doing all this with while going to the foul line about 3 times a game. All this is very interesting, on paper BYU should not be winning without some parity in Free Throw shooting but; BYU ranks very high in 3s taken and madeā€¦another interesting fact, SMC leads the nation in 3 point % at 43%. BYU is not far behind at 39%.

BYU shoots far and away more 3s per possession then any body in the WCC or the top30 by about 10 more per gameā€¦the average for D1 teams is about 18 per game, BYU shots 3s well above 30 times per game and that is why we donā€™t every get calls and go to the FT lineā€¦nobody fouls away from the basket. Interesting stats.

Difference from previous years-because of increased ball movement-most of our 3s are open shots-this better percentage-Iā€™m willing to bet SMC is a similar situation

They havenā€™t played anyone great away from home so wait until they get our defense and GAā€™s defense and see about their 3 point shooting.