Decent first half vs. St. Mary's

glad someone else pointed out the obvious. Beam me out, Scotty, there is no…you know the rest.

Is Lewis making the calls during the games that BYU loses to St. Mary’s or Gonzaga? NO!, Rose is…

Lewis has coached four High School All-Americans (3 at BYU, 1 at Duke)… so I am not sure why you put the blame on him.

Sorry Jim, frustrating day getting my mom’s doctors do submit some referrals so she can get in home help… Ugh!

I hope no one ever has to be the primary caregiver for an elderly parent (Mom is 90)… the task is not easy!!!

I guess it would be OK, if I did not work full time, support my home and family, help my adult kids with their issues, be active in church, work at the Temple, trying to learn new programming language…

1 Like

Woah now, I was referring to Guy Lewis, Houston coach of the famed Slamma Gamma years. Rose’s mentor. Stay with me, Floyd, I’ve made no mention of the LP coach.

I do, too.

I don’t know if the way Dastrup has been handled is a mistake or not. It looks to me that he is just getting off the mission rust. Watching him he appears to have a great shooting touch, a big body and a great upside but full of mission rust and playing his first basketball in over 2 years. I have noticed that he will get good position for a rebound and then get beat to the ball, or get it slapped away as he comes down with it. He seems a step slow to me. I don’t think he is naturally quick anyway but I think he will pick it up as he gets his legs back…He can hit the 3 and has length and a wide body. I think he will be fine, maybe even before the end of the year.

1 Like

my fault… I thought you were talking about coach Lewis who was the HC at Lone Peak…

1 Like

It was fun watching the team warm up. Its about the only time to see some of the bench players and what they bring to the table. First of all, Beo is a lot more athletic than I thought. I watched him doing 2-handed dunks. Who would’ve thought he could do that. I know he is listed at 6’3" but he didn’t have any trouble throwing it down. Beo was draining threes all over the place. He’s got a very nice stroke. Dastrup was draining threes as well. Not like Beo but he’s got a nice stroke.

I don’t know what to think about Dastrup. He’s listed as 6’10" and 250 lbs. He was recruited by 7 P5 schools (Ohio State, Kansas, Arizona, Arizona State, Florida, Utah, Virginia). Nationally, he was the 12th ranked Center by ESPN coming out of high school where he averaged 16.5 pts and 13 rebounds. He was 230lbs coming out of high school so he’s reportedly 20lbs heavier.

http://www.scout.com/player/167852-payton-dastrup/videos/1077523?year=2013

Looking at this short highlight video, I can see that Dastrup never was very quick. He seemed to be a good rebounder, good passer, and had a nice shooting touch. He may be another one of those guys that likes to sit on the perimeter more than Rose likes. I’d like to be a fly on the wall in the coach’s office to hear his thoughts on how he wants to use Dastrup. Dastrup isn’t going to beat many guys up the floor between possessions and maybe that’s why we don’t see more of him. He certainly isn’t living up to his recruitment hype but, as others have pointed out, that may simply be due to the way Rose is developing him.

From what the BYUTV guy (sorry can not remember which one) said that Dastrup was still trying to get back into basketball shape since his mission, apparently he has been having some issues with his strength and conditioning.

more line 50lbs. From the minute here and there, I just see an excellent passer, high IQ but just can’t get on the court.

No worries Floyd, we all need to blow off a little steam once in awhile. It’s okay.