Did the referees cost BYU the Utah game?

Without Yoeli and Nixon, it was a layin drill for Utah. That’s one reason why losing Baxter was such a blow for this team.

Barcello is a tremendous one on one defender. He should have been knee to knee with Jones on that possession, but instead we were in zone and wound up double teaming a guy in the paint, as if eveyone on our team, including Coach Pope, forgot that 1) we were up by 3, not 2, and 2) Utah had exactly one guy who could make a 3, and he was the one we left absolutely unguarded.

We were in a zone and Jones was wide open no one around him.

Glad you agree with me :smiley:

Definitely a screw up that probably cost them the game

Pac-12,
Mountain West,
Big West,
West Coast and
Western Athletic Conferences

You noticed the name of the group? Consortiam?
It is more like a clearing house for officials. It really is not an association.

BYU lost the game because Childs cramped up.
No middle defense became a layup drill for Utah.

With Childs, this game was a lock win, without him, BYU had one chance to win and as Tom says, We went to zone and left Jones open…Bacello should have been guarding him. Read my scouting report…don’t let Jones have a open 3. This loss is on the coaches.

Nevada…Don’t let Johnson have a open 3. Guard the 3 with your life, Nevada lives at the 3line. All 5 of their players can hit it…they SUCK inside, just as BYU does/did until Childs became active. They resemble Va Tach and BYU in so many ways.

Nevada has been on a big time roll, no team has climbed the rankings as fast as Nevada, this will not be a UNLV blowout. Steve Alford got his 600th win last week, he has the wolf pack rolling.

I was busy with family and only got to watch the 1st half. Finished the game last night. Burns me up that the coaches lost this game in the final seconds.

Yes the NOSE hates us and tilted the game, been writing about him for years, but BYU should of never been in overtime. Period.

Well, I said it first and Tom regurgitated it and took credit for it. Narcissists. What to do with them. Anyway, I agree in part with Childs being a key to the loss when he could not continue. However, the 20 turnovers lead to 20 layups some runaway layups. That could and should have been less even with Childs out.
The question now will we be able to keep the turnovers to a minimum against good teams as we did against UNLV. Even with Childs in.

And, yes, the call to go to Zone was a risk that left a shooter wide open. But, we never should have been in that position. Childs was playing more minutes than he should have. He wasn’t in game condition and has had cramping issues before including in practice. He’s now on the pickle juice therapy. That was another coaching error. But, the biggest issue in my opinion was the sloppy passing and ball handling leading to 20 turnovers. Hopefully we have corrected that issue.