Do we as parents and people put a too much of a price on sports?

This is beginning to explain a lot… :smile:

Nope… he is cousin (Great grandfather was the brother to Lavell’s grandfather)

The issue Scott, is if you went to any level of youth sports and asked either the league president of sports officials what is the biggest headache they have with the sport (Doesn’t matter which sport) they will say “The Parents”…

Parents (Especially dad’s) lives through the child games… sometimes, it goes way overboard and the winning at all cost comes in. You say “where are the parents?”, well in most instances… THE PARENTS ARE THE PROBLEM!

I am not saying give up football or baseball or basketball or Karate… I am saying, we need to help parents get a reality check on the long term affects of playing a sport and if injured, what are the ramifications…

IF you did any research, you will see that doctor’s and medical researchers have has serious concerns about the affects of sports on the growth plates (which does not harden until teenage years) and how it can have some serious ramification.

yes, I do …

Here is thing, most people do not think “down the road” when they make decision, it is about the here and now…

I worked construction for 10 years, moved equipment as heavy as 250 lbs by myself, played competitive softball for 15 years all when I was younger… I am now feeling the affects of those decisions…

People who are adults can make up their own mind, but sometimes, they are short sighted in their view.

Not to mention umpiring too. Blind as a bat :slight_smile:

Of course they are concerned…so, kids don’t do any activities until they are 16?

floyd,

Luke Staley, Jim Mac Mann, Mohamad Ali, Kennedy and Sonny Bono, my cousin Eddie Asti, would all say yes to your question with experiences from football, boxing, snow skiing, and hey, I can tell you stories about hand gliding, scuba diving towing behind ski boats on a tire raft, sky diving and most all other sports at one time or another. Steve Young could tell you stories. Yes, yes, yes, but what are we to do about it?

Are we to play less intent? Are we to play more careful as to not do harm to self or others? Should we discontinue sports? Should we make more rules for safety. Should we treat violators of those safety rules as criminals? Should we hold coaches and team doctors responsible if they use players that should for medial reasons be benched? Should we have a rule that if pain killers are needed, the team doctor may not release a player to be on the field and if he violates this rule, he is responsible to the player legally for all medical treatments in connection to the injury for the rest of the players life? Should a player sign a wavier saying that he understands the consequences of playing injured but chooses to do so anyway with no future recourse? Floyd, I do not pretend to know any of the answers, but one final question might be, "With all the things wrong with sports and with all the benefits of sports, are we as a society better off with the sports or would we be better off without the sports.

Glen, :Is there any other sport that beats you up more than football?"

Try boxing or kick boxing or any form or Marshall arts. Try hand gliding when there is an unexpected wind shift. Try Scuba diving when caught in kelp and gets you disorientated, or you come up faster than your bubbles. Try rubber rafting behind a sky boat when another boat is too close behind you. Try snow skiing. I know of deaths in each of these events.

We either live and take some risk by living or we don’t. There should be constant research and implementation of improved safety measures like eating less salt and less sugar, and less carbs, and less fat, and eating more vegetables could improve our quality of life along with exercise. We are not going to stop eating. We are going to improve the way we eat.

We are not going to stop playing football or other sports, we are going to try to find ways of making it safer.

grasshopper,
I agree that most, if not all players, at some time in their life, will have some pain as a result of playing football. If nothing else, Arthritis will be your constant companion. I only played ball in high school, but I have never been without pain in my left knee to this date, more than 63 years after the game.

Still, playing football was one of the biggest thrills of my life to date, (not counting the five things more important than football as pointed out by Bronco). Yes I have had many interesting job experiences including teaching for more than 30 years, and owning several different businesses, but with all of that, it is my football years that bring me happiness of conversation more than any job that I have had. In some ways, I am proud of my knee pain which comes no where at all close to the pain described by Luke Staley or Jim Mann or others on your list.

Aro,

Perhaps the Luke Stayley document should be mandatory reading for athletes, coaches and team doctors for every team in the Nation. Perhaps other documents from Jim MacMann and the others on the Floyd list should also me mandatory reading.

At some point, the players and the parents of the players should be involved and perhaps sign Releases.

Perhaps any coach or any doctor sending a player onto the field that requires pain killers should be made legally responsible for the safety of that player at the time of the game and for all time after that game.

At some point, we must say that the athlete is also responsible and must put his/her own physical future first before anything or any team.

If we quit playing football at BYU, our fans will follow the Utes or some other team. Football will not go away. If we are not in it to win, we are not really in it…

fish, I totally agree " “Was it worth it”? Most would say absolutely, some would say, no way."

I will take my life time knee injury along with those memories that gave it to me any day, 365 days per year over not having the pain and not having the memories that gave it to me.

1 Like