Fans aren't the only ones with hopes

Rose believes that kind of continuity will help his program.

"That’s what I’m hoping,” he said. “You look at our roster next year and we should have seven or eight guys that are going to play three straight years together without an interruption. When we had a lot of that four or five years ago, we had some really good success with it and we’re hoping we can duplicate it or exceed it.”

Those 7-8 guys
Chatman
Hartsock
Emery
Haws
Mika
Dastrup
Bryant
Yoeli?
Shaw?

Yoeli will rank somewhere in the top 4, even over Dastrup. Conner Harding from Idaho. Baxter from Timpview and Hamson to mention a few more bloomers.

Here is how I would rank the new recruits based on their HS evaluations. From top rated on down…

Haws-easy #1 (how we have needed a true Point)
Emery- I had him down at #4 a week ago
Mika
Yoeli Childs
Kaufusi (if he sticks with basketball)
Bryant
Dastrup
Chatman
Hartsock
Harding
Hamson
Shaw

Guys that will not show for another 2 years (Baxter and Seljaas leave for missions.)
I’m heavy on the guards as Rose always gets about 70% production from outside

If Chatman is #8 on your list then that bodes really well for BYU in the future. I think he brings so much to the team and as evidenced last night, he has some offensive skills as well. I don’t think you can discount his defensive skills and what they do for the team.

It is easy to see how one could get excited about the future.

Davis and Aytes will be around next year too! I think it would be a mistake for Kaufusi to try and make a switch now. With another year of practice he will get much better. And, if Mika has a great year, he could move on to the NBA. I’m hoping Hamson will work hard and gain about 50 pounds and get some quickness and strength. It’s going to be interesting to see if we have players that want to play and will transfer out again. That’s the only downside. If we had a second string as good as the first string, how great would that be!

I have been wrong about Aytes. I thought he’d be an impact player with is back to the basket, even though I knew he wasn’t a jumper. But he has really underperformed and seems to get swatted with regularity when he ever does play. Dastrup is taller and wider than Davis, but where he really excels is midrange. That is good because Mika and Yoeli are two big, strong, athletic dudes who with Kaufusi and Davis will make our front court formidable on both ends. And you and I both know that TJ is simply ridiculously good. I’m not kidding when I say I’d much rather have TJ for 3 or so years than Frank Jackson for one.

I had high hopes for Aytes after hearing reports about his game. Just looking at him you think “wow, this guy has a solid set of shoulders and will be a force to reckon with in the post.” I know he has been injury prone and maybe that is what has hurt his game. To this point in his career, he has certainly not lived up to expectations. He is listed at 6’6", 235lbs and was rated 66th Nationally among power forwards among HS players in the class of 2013. Maybe he will still emerge as a player. I suspect his confidence is pretty low right now. He must not be showing much in practice or Rose would give him more minutes in games. I think he is a sophomore with two years of eligibility left. Would Rose consider pulling his scholarship?

Alan Hamson is an interesting prospect. What can you do with a guy who is 7’2" and only 210 lbs soaking wet. Even if he could get to the point where he could run the court well, he could get some playing time as a rim protector. You can’t teach height. He would never need to jump, just move his feet and keep his arms in the air to swat shots away. He averaged 6 blocks a game, 11 pts, 7.4 rebounds in high school so you know he has some ability. I agree with you that if he can get stronger, put on about 50 pounds and get his conditioning to where he can run the court, maybe he can get some playing time. I would suspect that could happen in a couple of years if he worked hard. Unfortunately, he may be one of those guys that just has a hard time gaining weight. He’s a work in progress.

David Guinn is a new face that has been getting a few minutes at mop-up time. The kid served a mission to Mexico and played his freshman year at UC Riverside. He was an outstanding 800 meter runner in high school so you know the guy has great stamina and can play with a high motor. That is really quite impressive for a guy who is 6’5" and 190 lbs. Most middle distance runners are much smaller and lighter. He was the all time leading scorer at Vista Murrieta high school where he averaged 23.3 points and 9.3 rebounds. At UC Riverside, he played in 20 games, averaged 4.4 pts, 3.3 rebounds which isn’t too impressive but he also averaged 8 assists, 3 blocks, and 8 steals. He was a stat sheet stuffer and a guy who could play the passing lanes and create havoc on the defensive end. This is a guy who could develop into a great all around player for BYU if given an opportunity. I am interested in seeing how he develops once he learns Rose’s system.

And I agree with your assessment. When he got some time his mid range shot didn’t look all that bad. But he needs to gain the weight and strength.

Great, now even our coaches have believed the wait till next year, while this year is still in progress. Unbelievable and a result of lazy recruiting

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article60271906.html

Beo just won his second straight conference mvp…

Five top one hundred recruits will be on the roster next year:

Emery
Haws
Dastrup
Mika
Childs

There isn’t a problem with recruiting. If next year isn’t good it won’t be due to lazy recruiting and a lack of talent. You are full of it as usual!!

that looks like a final 4 line up to me.

hate to break it to you but teams with 5 ESPN top 100 recruits number a lot more than four. The only remarkable thing is that BYU does.

I happen to think that with Coach Rose coaching the team will get a final four birth or better if they can string together more than one…but that is truly pie in the sky.

Yet Coach Rose went as a player and went in the JC ranks so why not at DI?