Fell for Fools Gold

And how would you know he is “fine”? Did you call BYU and ask for Adams medical status?

I stand by my comment about you Scott, you only care about winning, and not the players health or their wellbeing. All you care about is how BYU looks to world.

There are plenty of posts that backs my comment up about you.

1 Like

Yes, I care about winning. You care about babying these premadonnas. He’s fine. Play him.

two?
Adams that you mentioned, who is not playing,
Baker who should just give up and do the medical redshirt and choose which teams in Europe he wants to play for,
Ali Khalifa–who just receded to the mean in one game,
Waterman–who did his normal head case in big games,
Robinson…who just came back from injury and seemed tentative…

Unless I forgot the numbers on my fingers that means five…

Can we at least get the basic facts of the team stated correctly before jumping to wild conclusions?

3 Likes

Ok I didn’t watch the game-I thought they might lose. There are no real surprises here-BYU lives and dies by the three. Now they have died twice. A week ago Pope was the greatest thing out there, now he is the target of criticism. Get real-Pope didn’t miss any shots. Adams is not ready to play. He is overweight and out of shape and has had little practice time. Probably a liability on the court-give him time. BYU can go two ways here-they can relax and take good shots and shoot the way they have been or they can give up and lose most of the rest of their games. Hope they forget the poor shooting night and play the way they have been. Nothing wrong with Pope-nothing wrong with the team-get back to work

No, I care about players as people and since I have been dealing with pain and health issues all caused by a coach who thought as you do, I understand better.

A few years back, we had a Scandal at BYU under Lavell Edwards tenure. Do you remember what that scandal was?

It was about prescription abuse for pain killers! Why did these players do it? They “cared about winning”.

Some of these players that got addicted by pain killers (by BYU doctor) ended up in prison or in some cases “DEAD”!

So don’t talk about pampering…It about people lives and how :“winning at all cost” has long term affects.

Here is a nice article about it:
Addiction and athletes: Who’s to blame? - Deseret News

I was saying about this year only. I was stating that the team has is made up of players who have been together for more than one year. Most 2 to 6 years. Uggg…

I had to take a breath before I responded. That game was like when you are framing and hit your hand with a hammer–you want to scream f-bombs and throw the hammer, but that’s not gonna get the wall built any sooner…better to take a breath, recover, and keep hammering away.

DEBACLE. There is no other way to describe that game. There is NO silver lining. There are NO positive takeaways. Even at home, BYU couldn’t handle the pressure, couldn’t protect the ball, and TOTALLY CAVED IN when the going got tough in the second half. I have never seen so many panicked, terrible shots. I thought the first half was the ugliest I’ve seen BYU play in years. 11TOs at half made me want to puke. We looked cocky and out of control. That was until I saw the second half. That was the ugliest basketball I’ve ever seen. Selfish, STUPID shot selection, weird coaching decisions, terrible FT shooting (just mystifying how Knell and Hall are both just awful FT shooters), and matador defense. 47 points allowed in the second half to a team that’s just not great on offense. For BYU, it was complete panic and confusion at both ends.

If Baker and Adams are not 100%, they shouldn’t play. Did everyone see Fouss out there at about 85%? He could barely move much less jump.

I think we will play better vs Baylor, because I don’t think we could possibly play worse. That said, I still think Baylor wins by 15. Before the Cincy game I would have picked Baylor at home by 7-10, but it’s feeling more like 15 now.

Aro I like your take on this. I don’t think we are as good as we previously thought, but nor are we as bad as we looked vs Cincy. I was hoping for 10-8 in league. Now I think I’d revise that down to maybe 8-10, which still likely has us in The Dance (barely).

The terrible shooting was bad. The terrible 2nd half defense was worse. The TOTAL AND COMPLETE PANIC is what has me really worried. When things got tough and our PG was about 1-6 from deep and started hucking up 30 footers with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, I knew the wheels were completely off. Pope should have sat Hall and told him THAT’S NOT HOW YOU RUN A TEAM and just played out the string with Stewart, who at least plays D, or just had SJ run the point.

I’m going to add something here about our defense. Last year, we did terrible in the WCC conference with our defense. If you remember, teams would have their point guard dribble around zigzagging into the key. Then, either shooting easy shots, passing to their bigs or back out for open 3s. Cincinnati did the same thing in the 2nd half. Scored 47. We better figure out how to stop that or we will see a lot of that.

The only way to combat that is for the team to shoot better than 4 for 33 from the three point line. Someone will always be hot. The rest of the team has to shoot better than that. Had we made 4 more 3s, we win.

not saying last year was a good year overall…but let’s not make up facts…per Kenpom…BYU was the second best defense in the conference…which is an odd statistic for a team tha played “horrible”

statistically it was the three point shooting in conference that pushed the team to sub-par overall performance…

1 Like

Teams scored pretty easily on us. We couldn’t stop the point guards from getting into the paint. Mainly in the last part of the season where we lost a lot. Cincinnati did the same thing in the 2nd half Saturday.

I have talked to this point in the past. Hall acts like a Point Shooter, he is not a very good point guard or QB of the team at all. The worse thing that could of happened to this young lad was to get 2 or 3 game winners last year. It has gone completely to his head. And yet SJ sat.

That is one sore leg, after his 3rd tear that I can remember, feels like he is really worried out there about another one. acts more like 60% but then, I am still angry about how BYU fell on the sword in the 2nd.
Where was Baker, the one guy that CAN drive and Why did Pope sit our only hot guy, Knell, so long before putting him back in the game.

Agree Hall not as good as he thinks he is. Let’s get Robinson open for some easy threes.