Golden Richards

Golden Richard’s passed away today.
Really didn’t get to see him play.

anyone have memories.?

My cousin Barry was the Granite HS QB for both Golden and Doug Richards. I was extremely close with my cousin who died in his sleep far too young about 27 years ago. Barry was offered a scholarship by Bear Bryant but ultimately went with baseball, where after being the DesNews player of the year he briefly played at UofU and then left for the minor leagues before a knee injury wrecked his career. He later became arguably the greatest American Legion baseball coach in Utah history, winning multiple state championships first with T-Villa and later with Dixie. He was also a major league scout for many years.

Barry told me lots of good stories about playing football and basketball with the Richards brothers. I said “well, you were an all state QB—I bet you were great.” He replied,”well, my two receivers were two of the fastest and greatest athletes to ever come out of the state of Utah, so I pretty much just threw the ball up in the air and got the glory while they did the work.” He said they were incredible teammates and awesome guys. He also said Doug may have been the best athlete he ever played with or against.

1 Like

Great story! Thanks for sharing!