Good news anyone anywhere about BYU BBALL?

Exactly whom I was talking about-P5 power houses and that includes quite a number, but not BYU-a third place team in a weak conference. No, as I stated in my last post, I don’t believe he will get fired, but I digress from your opinion-if enough people want him gone-he will be gone. That, however, is not the case right now. However if the program continues to slide the next two years-there will be a change. The program is in a precarious position right now having lost Bryant. If they lose Childs, it won’t be pretty for at least two years. Talk sense, not wishful thinking-BYU hasn’t had a top program in a while and that won’t work for too many BYU fans.

Interesting-5 year new contract that dates back to. 2015-so two more years. What’s your take on this?

The program didn’t slide last year from the prior year. It was about the same. If he maintains the status quo he won’t be fired. That shouldn’t be too difficult and will keep him safe until his contract is up. I don’t see any ground swell of discontent except on discussion boards and I am not sure if that is representative of the average fan. I assure you that the vast majority of fans don’t participate on these boards and most of what we read on these boards are fans venting their frustrations. BYU has never been a top program in the sense of being consistently nationally ranked. They have been a top mid major program for years. That is what BYU is.

If you want to say he would have been fired at a P5 school then that is just speculation because P5 schools don’t operate the way BYU does. They have no standards and can recruit jocks who are only students in a loose sense and don’t have to abide by an honor code. They are willing to pay for top assistant coaches. Who knows what Rose would do under those circumstances. He could have had the Oklahoma job a few years ago but didn’t take it.

I am not saying I am satisfied with the last few years but neither do I think the sky is falling and I do think there is sufficient talent to do better. There is enough talent to make the NCAA. and maybe win a game or two. When has BYU ever been better than that? Maybe a half dozen times in their history. You have to look at things in context and I don’t think many BYU fans do. They just want to complain about coaches and blame them for not having a program that is a nationally ranked program year after year. The fact is they have never had a program like. that. I think it is possible to have a great team on rare occasions at a school like BYU but not year after year. Like most fans I keep hoping next year will be the year. About every 20 years next comes along and BYU is almost great. Next year occurred in 1951, 1966, 1981 and 2011. If you don’t like it sell you soul and root for Duke or Kentucky when next year is nearly every year and is always better than our next year.

If he’s going to retire it will be when his contract is up. 2 more years unless he wants to keep coaching.

Yeh i agree with most of what you are saying. It’s a different situation for BYU. The thing that happens is that along comes a Jimmer who helps raise the program to a high level and then expectations rise and then there is discontent. I’ll come right out and admit I haven’t been a Dave Rose fan the last 4 years. It has little to with wins and losses, but more to do with player management which I consider to be poor. Everyone one on the board has their opinions, but I do believe they represent a logistic cross section of BYU fans, with many of us having at least some coaching or playing experience. I appreciate your insights, of which are well thought out.

It’s kind of a weird contract to go back to 2015 and extend his contract, although I don’t know the details or if the contract gives an additional pay raise or they are basically telling him he has two years to raise the bar. I don’t believe you will find the NiT to be on anyones “thrilled” list and if it continues or gets worse then something will happen

and now Nick is back…

Hard to evaluate, good news? bad news?

his play on the court with the anemia involved in KC’s last year started the NIT run. Will a return mean anything more than the NIT for the rest of his career?
the rest of Rose’s career?

Or perhaps he will fill the role of guard that Rose has been looking for so desperately in the JC/transfer ranks?

Has to be good news with the departure of Bryant. Athletic guards are a premium at BYU and Emery is athletic. Can Rose get him to fit into the team concept-remains to be seen, but given the problems he has endured, I believe you will find a more mature and controlled Emery

Retirement in coming soon for Rose.

I am sure he will be better control of his behavior. You know I sure missed his brother Jax because he was so private person and a fine man. Nick sure continue to show his personal stuff. Just hope that he will continue to do better on the playing days at BYU. Welcome back Nick.

Good grief! Give it a rest!

Great news! With Bryant gone and Bergersen getting better, great news!

Good grief give it a rest😉

That stat is 40% for freshmen. BYU is most likely at or above that percentage. Here is a good read on what the NCAA did to address the problem. They formed a commission lead by Condoleezza Rice. You have to scroll down past the transfers to read and very good article written by Jay Bilas.

I agree. One more important point…I see a lot of veterans coming back. Everyone including Dastrup will be wiser more settled this coming year. I am also excited to see what Baxter and Harding bring to the team. BYU should be OK and most likely good enough to get past SMC.

This year will be the first year since KC’s last year with a solid base of experienced players.
Maybe things will be different.
But since Tyler Haws left the team has been nothing but bubble at best.
I would count this coming year as very successful if it were even in the legit bubble discussion in late February.
I would also be very surprised–unless Rose lets Dastrup actually play.
Dastrup and Yoeli in the middle with TJ on the outside would make a solid set of top 100 player talent to build the play around.
With the guard line so lacking in depth and talent, if Rose can figure out a way to get a lot of major minutes to the bigs the WCC would fall like ten pins except for the mighty Bulldogs.

Don’t forget Emery out there too in a better place mentally.

Emery has not been in a good place mentally even before his divorce.

If he proves he is in a better place mentally on the court, he can add something. But unless KC shows up to feed him and some other players create space place for him on the floor, which admittedly might be PD and Yo, then he is still not a great asset offensively.
If he can bring defense he will get floor time…if not McKay or Jashire will get the minutes they’ve earned.

Harold,
I am going to give Emery the “benefit of the doubt” right now. Having watched my son life get shredded before his divorce, I could understand how Emery was not in a good place before his divorce.

I think that is one reason he took the entire year off from both basketball and school. To focus on getting back in a good place both spiritually and physically. I have heard reports he has been meeting with a therapist to help resolve issues. Hopefully that will work out for him.

I don’t care if he came back to basketball or not, like I said, I watch my son go through a bitter divorce, so I hope young Emery has a chance to get back a normal life with better view of his world.

1 Like